The Student Room Group

Oxford MAT 2013/2014

Scroll to see replies

Reply 240
Original post by MEPS1996
Ok, thanks. So, within my answer, there is: if P then Q and if Q then P. so assuming P is true, since x<=1, this implies that Q is true. So to be more 'to the point' i should just write my proof in reverse with single headed implication arrows? this seems odd as joseph said, any ideas to clean it up?

My favorite way of doing these types of proof is by contradiction. So start with x+1x>54x + \sqrt{1-x} > \frac{5}{4} and assert that x1 x \le 1 and then work through until you reach something which can't possibly be true.
Anybody in for computer science? :biggrin:
Reply 242
Original post by JosephML
My favorite way of doing these types of proof is by contradiction. So start with x+1x>54x + \sqrt{1-x} > \frac{5}{4} and assert that x1 x \le 1 and then work through until you reach something which can't possibly be true.

thats a really good idea, thanks. It can be done using the same reasoning as well, so I think technically both proofs are correct, but this one is better :smile:
Reply 243
Original post by Jooooshy
Anybody in for computer science? :biggrin:

I am :smile:

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Tapatalk 4
Original post by seohyun
I am :smile:

Good stuff :biggrin: How's the MAT coming along for you?
Reply 245
Good stuff :biggrin: How's the MAT coming along for you?

I've done only two papers and I'll do one tomorrow. How about you?

Original post by seohyun
I've done only two papers and I'll do one tomorrow. How about you?

I'm a first year already!:biggrin: If you need anything clearing up in terms of the MAT, let me know! Good luck with your application!
Reply 247
I'm a first year already!:biggrin: If you need anything clearing up in terms of the MAT, let me know! Good luck with your application!

Nice. What did you get for Q7 in the 2006 paper?

Original post by seohyun
Nice. What did you get for Q7 in the 2006 paper?

Please can you link me to the paper? :smile:
Reply 249
Please can you link me to the paper? :smile:

http://www.mathshelper.co.uk/Oxford%20Admissions%20Test%202006.pdf

Any part in particular, or the whole question?
Reply 251
Any part in particular, or the whole question?

I just wanted to check my answers against yours. Don't do them if you don't want to.

Original post by seohyun
I just wanted to check my answers against yours. Don't do them if you don't want to.

Not sure if I went around it the right way. From the question, I was under the impression that the first word MUST be AB.

i) Start with AB. First rule (Ax -> Axx) gives ABB. Using the first rule again, ABB -> ABBBB.
ii) I got AB^(2^n) where n belongs to the set [0,1,2..]
iii) I worked backwards from the given to get a path of AB f-> ABB f-> ABBBB f-> ABBBBBBBB s-> CABBBBB s-> CCABB, where f-> means using the first rule and s-> means using the second rule.
iv) Not ultimately confident that I'm expressing it properly, but I got all of C^(m)AB^((2^n)-3m), where n,m belong to the set [0,1,2..] and ((2^n) - 3m) >= 0.
v) Caught me out I think. I couldn't understand why any combination of C^(n)AB^(m) couldn't occur, with n,m belonging to [0,1,2..], since the previous power of B that was 2n-3m was just to give the remaining number of Bs left at the end, but now they can be removed! So I leave my answer at C^(n)AB^(m), with n, m belonging to [0,1,2..]

I'd be interested to know what you got, or if you think I've gone about it the wrong way!
(edited 10 years ago)
For the MAT, can we use methods that are NOT taught in the A Levels? Like Differentiation Under The Integral Sign? Wallis' Formula? Gamma functions and so on?
Reply 254
Original post by journeyinwards
For the MAT, can we use methods that are NOT taught in the A Levels? Like Differentiation Under The Integral Sign? Wallis' Formula? Gamma functions and so on?

I don't see why not, but why would you want to/need to when the problems are simple enough not to require it?

I'm pretty sure you can answer the questions any way you wish to do so! Just yesterday, I read a post from the Oxford CompSci Dept. saying they would welcome an application from somebody who was part-way through a maths degree, but has realised they want to do CompSci - I'm sure he'd have a few ways of going about the MAT that most A-level students wouldn't! :smile:
Reply 256

I honestly don't recall having to use any of those things when doing MAT papers. Even in STEP, they're very rarely needed.

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Reply 257
Not sure if I went around it the right way. From the question, I was under the impression that the first word MUST be AB.

i) Start with AB. First rule (Ax -> Axx) gives ABB. Using the first rule again, ABB -> ABBBB.
ii) I got AB^(2^n) where n belongs to the set [0,1,2..]
iii) I worked backwards from the given to get a path of AB f-> ABB f-> ABBBB f-> ABBBBBBBB s-> CABBBBB s-> CCABB, where f-> means using the first rule and s-> means using the second rule.
iv) Not ultimately confident that I'm expressing it properly, but I got all of C^(m)AB^((2^n)-3m), where n,m belong to the set [0,1,2..] and ((2^n) - 3m) >= 0.
v) Caught me out I think. I couldn't understand why any combination of C^(n)AB^(m) couldn't occur, with n,m belonging to [0,1,2..], since the previous power of B that was 2n-3m was just to give the remaining number of Bs left at the end, but now they can be removed! So I leave my answer at C^(n)AB^(m), with n, m belonging to [0,1,2..]

I'd be interested to know what you got, or if you think I've gone about it the wrong way!

Thanks a lot. I stopped on ii), I'll do the rest tomorrow and see if I get something different.

Original post by seohyun
Thanks a lot. I stopped on ii), I'll do the rest tomorrow and see if I get something different.

Don't mention it :smile:
Reply 259
Original post by Zhy
I honestly don't recall having to use any of those things when doing MAT papers. Even in STEP, they're very rarely needed.

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App

Spoiler

Quick Reply

Latest