The Student Room Group

Economics applicant thread UCAS 2014

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Jkizer
How much detail do you think you should go into talking about your conclusion/research ?

My last paragraph is literally just one finishing line to sum up why I want to study economics - very similar to the beginning
Original post by tooambitious
100% yes. If you got ABB they would let you in, BBB maybe not as there may be better applicants applying through clearing/adjustment

Hey,

am i ok to ask you a little bit about how sensible my options are?

basically i got 3A*'s and 6A's at GCSE and AABB at AS ( 90% in Maths ) and the other A in history , one mark off an A in economics

predicted A*AA but im applying to Warwick ( 100% chance of rejection but my parents are INSISTING i apply ) bath, nottingham , durham and york

how sensible are they as options would you say ? i know Warwick is crazy , but the problem is Bath nottingham and durham are all A*AA for entry which i am predicted but i dunno if theres a strong chance they will all reject me ?

any thoughts appreciated ! :smile:
I've got to decide by Monday and I'm really torn between Bristol or Bath. At the moment I've gone with Bristol but I'm having second thoughts. I've been on the fence for a month now and literally Googled everything to try and differentiate the two but they are so even that it's a joke.

Any last minute tips/advice?
Original post by Fas
Hey,

basically i got 3A*'s and 6A's at GCSE and AABB at AS ( 90% in Maths ) and the other A in history , one mark off an A in economics

predicted A*AA but im applying to Warwick ( 100% chance of rejection but my parents are INSISTING i apply ) bath, nottingham , durham and york

how sensible are they as options would you say ? i know Warwick is crazy , but the problem is Bath nottingham and durham are all A*AA for entry which i am predicted but i dunno if theres a strong chance they will all reject me ?

Don't think you'll have too much of a problem with Bath, they seemed to suggest that they offered to most people with the predicted grades AND lowered their offer if you put them as a firm!!
Original post by NedStark
I've got to decide by Monday and I'm really torn between Bristol or Bath. At the moment I've gone with Bristol but I'm having second thoughts. I've been on the fence for a month now and literally Googled everything to try and differentiate the two but they are so even that it's a joke.

Any last minute tips/advice?

You should consider whether you'd prefer a more city or campus feel? Reputation wise, I'd say they're about the same and their courses are quite identical. Bath has a year in industry, Bristol has a year abroad would either appeal to you?
Original post by leinad2012
Don't think you'll have too much of a problem with Bath, they seemed to suggest that they offered to most people with the predicted grades AND lowered their offer if you put them as a firm!!

oh thats good where did you hear that from ? :smile:

should be OK with York as they give out offers to over 70% of people that apply according to the Which? University Guide , and their offer is AAA ( but AAB if you do maths ) and apparently Nottingham tend to give offers out to people with AACD and similar at AS so who knows... Durham is probably the toughest one , and the one i felt my GCSE's would hold me back most but ive heard they focus more on the personal statement :smile:
Original post by Fas
Hey,

Don't be so sure, my friend went to the open day and they said to that "If you have AAB at AS that meet the subject criteria and also have correctly predicted grades then you'll most likely get an offer" This was for Maths though I doubt its much different from Economics.
Thinking of Oxford, LSE, Warwick, Durham, Exeter.
Maybe Nottingham instead of Exeter.
Achieved AAAA in Maths, Econ, Chem, Psych.
Dropped Psych but picked up FM for A2..whaddya guys think?
Predicted A*A*A* and A for FM AS.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Dilzo999
Don't be so sure, my friend went to the open day and they said to that "If you have AAB at AS that meet the subject criteria and also have correctly predicted grades then you'll most likely get an offer" This was for Maths though I doubt its much different from Economics.

which University was this ? :smile:
Original post by Fas
oh thats good where did you hear that from ? :smile:

should be OK with York as they give out offers to over 70% of people that apply according to the Which? University Guide , and their offer is AAA ( but AAB if you do maths ) and apparently Nottingham tend to give offers out to people with AACD and similar at AS so who knows... Durham is probably the toughest one , and the one i felt my GCSE's would hold me back most but ive heard they focus more on the personal statement :smile:

It's what the lecturer said when I went to the open day, and it's why I'm not applying. Why ask for high predicted grades to make yourself look good then drop them when good students don't get offers at the best unis? Felt it was a bit of a scammy system really.

Not too sure quite how important GCSE's are, they differ from uni to uni. There's no point in not applying because you think you'll get rejected because you never know and you'll regret it if you don't!
Original post by Fas
which University was this ? :smile:

Warwick XD.
Original post by Boy_wonder_95
You should consider whether you'd prefer a more city or campus feel? Reputation wise, I'd say they're about the same and their courses are quite identical. Bath has a year in industry, Bristol has a year abroad would either appeal to you?

The thing is, city or campus, I'd like both equally since each have their own benefits. I like the year in industry but not the year abroad. I've heard Bristol is more maths heavy which is of course something I like.

However Bristol do have a smaller Economics intake than Bath, and that worries me. On top of that there's a lot of "they reject you, if they suspect you applied to Oxbridge" circulating around the internet.
Original post by leinad2012
It's what the lecturer said when I went to the open day, and it's why I'm not applying. Why ask for high predicted grades to make yourself look good then drop them when good students don't get offers at the best unis? Felt it was a bit of a scammy system really.

Not too sure quite how important GCSE's are, they differ from uni to uni. There's no point in not applying because you think you'll get rejected because you never know and you'll regret it if you don't!

in regards to predicted grades , they will probably judge them in regards to past AS performance , and the rep of the school.

if they see a candidate with AAAB and they're predicted A*A*A ( and there is reason to justify the A* prediction i.e. got 90% in AS or close to that ) then it's probably likely they will give the candidate an offer.( aslong as the PS isn't a ton of crap ) same applies if they're predicted A*AA and come from a school which the University knows predicts fairly and not over-predicting.

So if you got BBCD and applied with a prediction of A*AA , then yeah Bath will probably be able to see it and will reject you ( you is generic btw im not actually referring to YOU :tongue: )

However this is just what i think they do , i could be dead wrong for all i know !
Warwick XD.

damn had my hopes up ! :frown:

im afraid for Warwick maths is completely different to economics , they hand out offers an a silver plate and let STEP decide who gets in.
Original post by Fas
damn had my hopes up ! :frown:

im afraid for Warwick maths is completely different to economics , they hand out offers an a silver plate and let STEP decide who gets in.

Which uni did you want it to be? I'm pretty sure that judging by your results you should get in as your results are decent and better than most as well as your GCSE's are better than mine XD. I'm applying for MORSE so yeah it is probably different.
Original post by Fas
in regards to predicted grades , they will probably judge them in regards to past AS performance , and the rep of the school.

if they see a candidate with AAAB and they're predicted A*A*A ( and there is reason to justify the A* prediction i.e. got 90% in AS or close to that ) then it's probably likely they will give the candidate an offer.( aslong as the PS isn't a ton of crap ) same applies if they're predicted A*AA and come from a school which the University knows predicts fairly and not over-predicting.

So if you got BBCD and applied with a prediction of A*AA , then yeah Bath will probably be able to see it and will reject you ( you is generic btw im not actually referring to YOU :tongue: )

However this is just what i think they do , i could be dead wrong for all i know !

Yeah, I definitely think you're right there, the reputation of the school is critical. They look at the AS grades as a sign of where you were last year but your PS adds alot to it.

Have you considered putting your UMS down? That way it'll show you were at 90%+ in Maths and very near an A in Economics
Reply 1136

This is only for the maths department - they give almost all applicants an offer.

The economics and the statistics department are much more strict - they don't have STEP to filter out applicants.
Reply 1137

FYI I got AAAAA (average 95% UMS) at AS level and was predicted A*A*A*A*A* but still got rejected from Warwick for Economics :tongue:
Original post by CD315
This is only for the maths department - they give almost all applicants an offer.

The economics and the statistics department are much more strict - they don't have STEP to filter out applicants.

So if there is a STEP requirement you're most likely to get an offer? The course I'm applying to is MORSE and they need a 2 in STEP.
Reply 1139
So if there is a STEP requirement you're most likely to get an offer? The course I'm applying to is MORSE and they need a 2 in STEP.

Yes, as you're more likely to miss it. However, MORSE have the alternative offer of A*AA don't they? It's still a lot harder to get an offer than it is for maths, then economics is even harder than that.

Quick Reply