The Student Room Group
Coventry University
Coventry University
Coventry
Visit website

Failed Resit!!

I need advice please, my son has failed a first year resit, and despite passing all his other modules has been told by Cov Uni that he no longer has a place.

A very high percentage of students failed the first exam, approximately 50% of the group, not sure how many failed the resit though. Is there any appeal, or such like?

Do Cov Uni accept external canditates for examinations?
The only suggestion from the tutor was to resit the whole year. he is studying Sports and Excercise Science hons.

I dont know where to turn to help him, please help if you can

thanks
Reply 1
flopcabbage
I need advice please, my son has failed a first year resit, and despite passing all his other modules has been told by Cov Uni that he no longer has a place.

A very high percentage of students failed the first exam, approximately 50% of the group, not sure how many failed the resit though. Is there any appeal, or such like?

Do Cov Uni accept external canditates for examinations?
The only suggestion from the tutor was to resit the whole year. he is studying Sports and Excercise Science hons.

I dont know where to turn to help him, please help if you can

thanks

How badly did he fail the module? If he got lower than 35%, he probably will have to repeat the year, as they can only condone a marginal fail for a module. It may be worthwhile speaking to the academic registry and asking them about complaints/appeals. You can contact them by emailing [email protected] - I can't find a phone number, however. :frown:

I hope that helps.
Coventry University
Coventry University
Coventry
Visit website
Reply 2
He failed it by 4% i believe, it required 40% to pass he got 36% :frown:
Reply 3
Sorry, my manners are terrible, thank you for your reply and the link, I think my son has found the appeal section on Cov Uni website, but i will tell him your reply :smile:
Reply 4
You're welcome :smile:
Reply 5
Original post by flopcabbage
Sorry, my manners are terrible, thank you for your reply and the link, I think my son has found the appeal section on Cov Uni website, but i will tell him your reply :smile:

Hello Sir i am in the same situation ,Kindly tell me how your son appeal or what happened to your son case regarding failing resit. Kindly reply me asap i am waiting
best regards,
Reply 6
Sorry about being slightly off topic but how did you get your results for the resits?
Also, i think it'd be best to email your professor for the module, there should be an email address on moodle. They'll be able to guide you.
Reply 7
Original post by unknown0ne
Sorry about being slightly off topic but how did you get your results for the resits?
Also, i think it'd be best to email your professor for the module, there should be an email address on moodle. They'll be able to guide you.

On either the 17th or 19th September (can't remember which one) they will be released and you can find them on Solar. Hope this helps! I was the deputy faculty chair for E&C last year and i still had to go hunting for answers regarding resits...
Reply 8
Ahh right, thanks for that...
Original post by unknown0ne
Ahh right, thanks for that...

Actually they're released today.

I checked Solar right now and it didn't update my results, but it allowed me to re-enrol.
Reply 10
Hi guys

Sorry you're having trouble with your resits... the main number for Academic Registry at the University is 024 7615 2192 and someone there should be able to help you with your questions and options available.

Good luck!
Reply 11
Failed one of my moudles, so on solar it gave me the option to retake as a part time student. Rang my faculty for advice and options they told me they couldn't help. Have to wait till monday as student services don't open till then.

Does anyone know if student finance funds part time retakes?
Reply 12
Original post by Gallium
Failed one of my moudles, so on solar it gave me the option to retake as a part time student. Rang my faculty for advice and options they told me they couldn't help. Have to wait till monday as student services don't open till then.

Does anyone know if student finance funds part time retakes?

Hello,
I studied mathematical sciences in 11/12 year (first year). In that I failed one module, in the module I passed the coursework it's only the exam that I failed. So I did a retake for the exam last week but I think I failed that one as well. I m scared now what will happen? Will I progress to next year?

So what did you do next?
Reply 13
Hello,

I am a student at coventry and I am in the same boat as you. I failed a module by 1% and so I have emailed the academic registry, I suggest you do the same. Also you could phone the registry on a week day on 02476152192 and get help there. Unfortunately in addition to this I missed the deadline on a piece of german coursework (advantage module) back in June. The annoying part is that I got revision help of the module leader, emails about the time and place of the resit, and they have now turned round and said I won't be given a mark because I was absent from the original assessment in June. If I had known that I had essentially failed several months ago i wouldn't have bothered revising so much for the resit. As soon as I get a reply in regards to my 1% fail and my advantage module fail I will write another reply, hopefully then I will know the best course of action to take.

good luck
Original post by Farrel
Hello,

I am a student at coventry and I am in the same boat as you. I failed a module by 1% and so I have emailed the academic registry, I suggest you do the same. Also you could phone the registry on a week day on 02476152192 and get help there. Unfortunately in addition to this I missed the deadline on a piece of german coursework (advantage module) back in June. The annoying part is that I got revision help of the module leader, emails about the time and place of the resit, and they have now turned round and said I won't be given a mark because I was absent from the original assessment in June. If I had known that I had essentially failed several months ago i wouldn't have bothered revising so much for the resit. As soon as I get a reply in regards to my 1% fail and my advantage module fail I will write another reply, hopefully then I will know the best course of action to take.

good luck

Farrell the posts above are from 2012 - don't think they will need the advice now tbh.
Hello i’m a new student,please what will happen if i fail my foundation programme?
Reply 16
Original post by Bashgerawa
Hello i’m a new student,please what will happen if i fail my foundation programme?

5D3E4D3F-F013-4E30-968E-60BB17B3B4C2.jpg.jpeg
The university administrators should be asking why are so many students failing that module, and not other modules?

Is the grading too harsh?

Is the teaching standard for that module sheit?

Or are multiple students coincidentally 'worse' at that module, yet not at others?

The teaching institution has a responsibility to also teach, not just hand out coursework, grades and certificates.
Original post by flopcabbage
He failed it by 4% i believe, it required 40% to pass he got 36% :frown:

I’ve got my result from Coventry yesterday and unfortunately I scored 34% overall grade including coursework however the reason for this is that I didn’t too well on my coursework
Reply 19
Hi guys,Do you actually need overall 40% grade from all the subjects to pass a year, or each subject must be at 40% and above?

Quick Reply

Latest