The Student Room Group

What's the difference between bisexuality and pansexuality?

Bisexual people are attracted to both females and males, and pansexuals say they're attracted to all gender identities/ biological sexes, on other words both sexes :pierre:

Only possible difference I can think of is Pans would be attracted to hermaphrodites, but there are people who find them attractive and identify themselves as straight.

Scroll to see replies

Pansexual is attraction regardless of gender. So basically includes the non-binary genders. Bisexual is attraction to male and female.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2
Original post by shadowdweller
Pansexual is attraction regardless of gender. So basically includes the non-binary genders. Bisexual is attraction to male and female.

Posted from TSR Mobile

so bisesxuality is more from the biological perspect and pansexuality is from a pscyhological approach?
Original post by Splenge007
so bisesxuality is more from the biological perspect and pansexuality is from a pscyhological approach?

I'm not sure about that as such.

You seem to have the gist in the OP, you just didn't account for many of the non-binary genders :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 4
Original post by shadowdweller
I'm not sure about that as such.

You seem to have the gist in the OP, you just didn't account for many of the non-binary genders :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

But straight/bi/gay people can be attracted to them too.

People who identify as pansexual tend to say the rest of us all restrict ourselves over gender, only their tiny minority are open minded, which is very arrogant really.
Original post by Mankytoes

People who identify as pansexual tend to say the rest of us all restrict ourselves over gender, only their tiny minority are open minded, which is very arrogant really.

Aye, true.

I've not heard that before to be honest.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Mankytoes

Sexual attraction is inherently irrational and thus cannot indicate the open-mindedness or close-mindedness of a person.
Reply 7
Original post by Manifestation
Sexual attraction is inherently irrational and thus cannot indicate the open-mindedness or close-mindedness of a person.

I agree, but what they say is that we are all capable of loving either gender, we just convince ourselves we're gay/straight so rule our half the population. It's bisexuals, probably the most picked on group, being both homophobic and heterophobic, which is quite an achievement.
Reply 8
Pansexuals often (although not always) reject the idea of gender binary, and thus feel able to express attraction to any person regardless of their gender identity or sexual organs. Pansexuals may also not identify as any gender in particular, and thus be unable to call themselves gay or straight.

Bisexuals are attracted to both sides of the gender binary.

I don't have any stats on it, but I'd wager plenty of bisexuals are more like pansexuals, they just aren't aware of the difference in terms. I'm pansexual and will often refer to myself as "bi" because it's easier and more widely understood.
Bi = two
Pan = many

Bisexuality, on the face of it, seems to suggest that there are only two genders, but this is not the case. There is not just hermaphrodite/intersexed people to consider.
If it helps, there is a difference between sex and gender, sex is biology, gender is identity. So, there are 3 (roughly speaking) sexes, male, female, and intersexed (though this can manifest in different ways) but there are a lot more genders, obviously male and female being how most people identify. But some people find that their sex and gender do not match, and that can be in a number of different ways. Most people know what transexual/transgender means - to be physically one sex but identify as the opposite gender, but some people feel that they have no gender, and some people feel that they don't identify as either male or female, but somewhere in between.
Pansexuals are open to all, or most, sexes and gender identities, whereas some non pansexual people would not consider a relationship with someone outside of the binary gender "norms" for whatever reason.

However, when considering language, I do feel that it can be appropriate to use bisexual when you consider that homo = same so homosexual = attracted to the same sex and hetero - other or different so Heterosexual = attracted to those different to me, there is still a binary, if a loose one, of same and different, so pansexual people could be considered bisexual in the sense that they are attracted to people whose gender and sex is the same as theirs, AND to those whose gender and sex are different.

I hope that hasn't confused you too much.
Reply 10
sexuality is subjective. You have people attracted to animals, objects, statues.
Reply 11
Here's a thought.

Why can't people who don't identify with their biological gender try and broaden their own definition of what gender is instead of automatically thinking that they belong in in another? Isn't assuming that your true identified gender isn't compatible with your physical gender just holding up the very same male / female gender stereotypes which we are all trying to fight?

i.e. You could easily seen as saying that men aren't capable of having such typically effeminate and woman-like thoughts, therefore I will have to jump into the gender box which does so (and vice versa).

If I've completely mutilated some definitions here please forgive me, I'm quite new to this area of discussion!
Original post by nugiboy
Here's a thought.

Why can't people who don't identify with their biological gender try and broaden their own definition of what gender is instead of automatically thinking that they belong in in another? Isn't assuming that your true identified gender isn't compatible with your physical gender just holding up the very same male / female gender stereotypes which we are all trying to fight?

i.e. You could easily seen as saying that men aren't capable of having such typically effeminate and woman-like thoughts, therefore I will have to jump into the gender box which does so (and vice versa).

If I've completely mutilated some definitions here please forgive me, I'm quite new to this area of discussion!

Obviously, some people do, but (and I don't know how I can really explain this properly) It is just not that simple. I think those whos sex and gender don't match wish it was, especially in the case where people feel that their sex and gender is opposite.
Pansexuality is a term used for pretentious feminists.
Reply 14
Original post by Kabloomybuzz
Obviously, some people do, but (and I don't know how I can really explain this properly) It is just not that simple. I think those whos sex and gender don't match wish it was, especially in the case where people feel that their sex and gender is opposite.

And that's exactly the point I'm highlighting.

What is the point of the last 50 or so years of gender role liberalisation and equality activism if people are essentially saying that their thoughts and behaviours are fundamentally incompatible with their biological sex?
Reply 15
Original post by Splenge007
Bisexual people are attracted to both females and males, and pansexuals say they're attracted to all gender identities/ biological sexes, on other words both sexes :pierre:

Only possible difference I can think of is Pans would be attracted to hermaphrodites, but there are people who find them attractive and identify themselves as straight.

Got this from wikipedia if it helps:

"A literal dictionary definition of bisexuality, due to the prefix bi-, is sexual or romantic attraction to two sexes (males and females), or to two genders (men and women).[10] Pansexuality, however, composed with the prefix pan-, is the sexual attraction to people of all sexes and genders. Using these definitions, pansexuality is different in that it includes people who are intersex and/or fall outside the gender binary.[3][8] Go Ask Alice! states that pansexuals can be attracted to cismen, ciswomen (meaning cisgender), "transmen, transwomen, intersex people, androgynous people, and everything else. It is generally considered a more inclusive term than bisexual".[8] Volume 2 of Cavendish's Sex and Society, however, clarifies that "[a]lthough the term's literal meaning can be interpreted as 'attracted to everything,' people who identify as pansexual do not include paraphilias, such as bestiality, pedophilia, and necrophilia, in their definition" and that they "stress that the term pansexuality describes only consensual adult sexual behaviors"."
Original post by nugiboy
And that's exactly the point I'm highlighting.

What is the point of the last 50 or so years of gender role liberalisation and equality activism if people are essentially saying that their thoughts and behaviours are fundamentally incompatible with their biological sex?

But don't you think that if it were as easy as changing the way you think about sex and gender that people would just do that, through therapy or otherwise, rather than going through the drastic route of socially and physically changing their gender.

This may or may not help, but can you imagine how you would feel if you woke up tomorrow with a womans body, but still the same memories, personality and identity of yourself as you did with a male body. Would you simply be able to alter the way you perceive yourself and be able to accept yourself as simply female with masculine traits?

It hard to understand and hard to explain. I'll never be able to fully understand it as I've not been through it, but when you've spent time around trans gender and non gender binary people, you do get a better idea of how difficult it is realising and coming to terms with it and that it is just not as simple as you think it is.
Sexuality is made up of, amongst other things, attraction, identity and behaviour, aka 'thought and word and deed'.

Saying 'pansexual' rather than 'bisexual' is more of a political statement about the identity aspect than any significant difference in terms of attraction or behaviour. BiCon sees plenty of people who identify as pansexual or pan/bisexual or...

I do like WP's bit about the 'when we say pan, we don't actually mean it' aspect.
Original post by nugiboy

Gender is a social construct and biological sex turns out to be more interesting than a rigid binary divide.
Original post by Kabloomybuzz
Bi = two
Pan = many

Bisexuality, on the face of it, seems to suggest that there are only two genders, but this is not the case. There is not just hermaphrodite/intersexed people to consider.
If it helps, there is a difference between sex and gender, sex is biology, gender is identity. So, there are 3 (roughly speaking) sexes, male, female, and intersexed (though this can manifest in different ways) but there are a lot more genders, obviously male and female being how most people identify. But some people find that their sex and gender do not match, and that can be in a number of different ways. Most people know what transexual/transgender means - to be physically one sex but identify as the opposite gender, but some people feel that they have no gender, and some people feel that they don't identify as either male or female, but somewhere in between.
Pansexuals are open to all, or most, sexes and gender identities, whereas some non pansexual people would not consider a relationship with someone outside of the binary gender "norms" for whatever reason.

However, when considering language, I do feel that it can be appropriate to use bisexual when you consider that homo = same so homosexual = attracted to the same sex and hetero - other or different so Heterosexual = attracted to those different to me, there is still a binary, if a loose one, of same and different, so pansexual people could be considered bisexual in the sense that they are attracted to people whose gender and sex is the same as theirs, AND to those whose gender and sex are different.

I hope that hasn't confused you too much.

You have a very good way of explaining things, so I hope it's safe to ask (without offending anyone!) what the difference between transvestite and transsexual is?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending