The Student Room Group

Psychology 4 point rule

My daughter is studying Psychology at A2. She can't get her head around the 4 point rule, no matter how many times the teacher repeats it. Can anyone help??Cheers, Paulfs

Scroll to see replies

What is the rule about? I couldn't find any mention of a 4 point rule online (at least not one related to psychology) or in my A2 psych textbook. I don't mean you have to explain it, but it would be useful to know whether it's part of a psychological topic or a rule the teacher has made to help answer questions, etc.
I've never come across the 4 point rule :confused:

Is it in terms of essay writing? Is it something that the teacher has come up with?
Original post by paulfs
My daughter is studying Psychology at A2. She can't get her head around the 4 point rule, no matter how many times the teacher repeats it. Can anyone help??Cheers, Paulfs
Reply 3
It's in terms of evaluation and adding arguments or discussions into an essay piece
Original post by paulfs
It's in terms of evaluation and adding arguments or discussions into an essay piece

Do you mean AO1, AO2 and AO3?
Reply 5
Yeah but especially AO2 :frown:
Original post by paulfs

Original post by Splenge007
Do you mean AO1, AO2 and AO3?

I think it's a method of writing evaluation paragraphs, similar to the popular PEEE or PEAR method (there are many variations).
Original post by paulfs

What about AO2 is difficult for you?

It falls under evaluation of the AO1 points outlined.

What topics are you studying for PSYA3? Is your exam board AQA(A)?
Original post by PythianLegume
I think it's a method of writing evaluation paragraphs, similar to the popular PEEE or PEAR method (there are many variations).

My teacher taught me to pee

What's r?
Original post by paulfs

You'll have to give us the gist of it; it seems this teacher has made it up herself.While we can talk about similar guidelines, it'd be best if we try and explain the rule as given by the teacher. I'm guessing it goes along the lines of:

1) Describe the point, make a brief statement, eg "research supports the theory" or "the research lacks ecological validity"
2) Provide evidence for the statement, quote some research findings to back it up.
3) Explain the consequences of this for the theory or research - does it mean more research is needed, does it question the validity of the findings, does it support the theory?
4) Link this back to the question.
Original post by Splenge007
My teacher taught me to pee

What's r?

Well in psychology I was given PEEE, in English GCSE I was given PEAR where the R was restating the point/linking to the question.
Original post by PythianLegume
Well in psychology I was given PEEE, in English GCSE I was given PEAR where the R was restating the point/linking to the question.

Peeing with three e's sounds like too much. I only pee when I'm stuck and need a little guidance. How about you?
Reply 12
It is AQA and so far the only module she's done is relationships. She mainly struggles because she must write in a certain format (the 4 point rule) and she writes like an essay. I understand that the 4 point rule is something to do with writing as though it were a report.
Reply 13
The 4 points may be : Statement:Make your point; Evidence:tongue:rovide it as support; Analysis:expand and Link:back to the question.
Original post by paulfs
It is AQA and so far the only module she's done is relationships. She mainly struggles because she must write in a certain format (the 4 point rule) and she writes like an essay. I understand that the 4 point rule is something to do with writing as though it were a report.

Just to clarify, when you "4 point rule" are you referring to the PEEE and PEAR as Legume has mentioned?

edit: Yup
Reply 15
Ok Thanks :smile:
Original post by paulfs
The 4 points may be : Statement:Make your point; Evidence: provide it as support; Analysis:expand and Link:back to the question.

That sounds about right - most students are advised to do something similar (but as me and splenge have said, our teachers called it PEE(E) ).

I do advise your daughter to stick to this; while writing it in a more natural essay manner does look better, and will produce an answer that generally would be considered better, it isn't advisable for the exam. Psychology exams have incredible time pressure, and making your points in this format makes it easy for the examiner to mark, and also straightforward to write; you don't have to bother about making the structure flow perfectly (although a decent line of argument is important for the top marks).

What part of it does your daughter struggle with? Does she not understand what the 4 points mean, or does she just struggle to put it into practice? If it's the latter, she should just do more practice, perhaps ask her teacher to mark some extra essays.
(edited 10 years ago)
The ruling does the opposite of helping students sometimes.

I had a go and i was awful, so i've deleted it.

As Legume has asked, what is the main issue with this ruling? If your daughter can't your head around it at all, I have an alternative that I use for essays.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 18
That was very confusing :confused: I don't think you helped much.
Original post by Arketec
That was very confusing :confused: I don't think you helped much.

Neither do I, we still haven't really gotten to the bottom of the problem.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending