The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 5600
Had some revelations! Biology is horrible and really tedious and I am not liking it! Physics which I thought I'd hate is actually really interesting! Chemistry I just knew I'd love <3 and I'm also liking History it's a welcomed change from the sciences :smile:
but Yh if I'm not liking biology now at A level I think medicine overall is not a course for me in the future.... I think I'm going to look at a pure chemistry course for uni or maybe chemical engineering which sounds interesting

How about you lot? Any subjects you initially thought you'd like but in reality not so much?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Tibbz2
Great in respect to how much more relaxed it is than school, and the frees are helpful for work. Much more fun too.

Just a shame Physics and Chemistry are soooo boring and tedious at the moment :frown: I hope they change soon! I was thinking Maths would be the worst for me, but it's the best by far! (Even though Mechanics can be a *****, but good fun still)

How about you?

Mechanics is very interesting but it is very easy to make mistakes in Mechanics and you really have to understand what is going on, which makes it really hard.I feel for those who have to do Mechanics as part of normal Maths because Mechanics is way harder than any of the AS Pure Maths modules.

If I do really bad in M1 could EDEXCEL swapo S1 and M1 in such a way that I do better in Further Maths but don't get an A in Maths-I'm a bit worried about this-its unlikely I will do bad enough in M1 not to get an A in Maths( with high scores in C1 and C2) anyway but I just wondered.

What would you advise me to do if I can't understand Mechanics because neither a Maths or Physics degree would be a good idea.
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by RagaZ
Had some revelations! Biology is horrible and really tedious and I am not liking it! Physics which I thought I'd hate is actually really interesting! Chemistry I just knew I'd love <3 and I'm also liking History it's a welcomed change from the sciences :smile:
but Yh if I'm not liking biology now at A level I think medicine overall is not a course for me in the future.... I think I'm going to look at a pure chemistry course for uni or maybe chemical engineering which sounds interesting

How about you lot? Any subjects you initially thought you'd like but in reality not so much?

Posted from TSR Mobile

I thought that I would like Maths but its a really boring lesson because the teachers are going at a very slow pace.I didn't think I'd enjoy Physics as much as I am because we are doing loads of interesting and easy new Maths.I am not sure whether Physics or Further Maths is my favourite subject because Further Maths is so hard at times.
Original post by Dalek1099
I feel for those who have to do Mechanics as part of normal Maths because Mechanics is way harder than any of the AS Pure Maths modules.

You would say that, but last January I did better in M1 than I did in C1 :lol:
Original post by Boy_wonder_95

How did it go?

Also, M1 or S1? :redface:
Original post by lolface32
How did it go?

Also, M1 or S1? :redface:

I ended up with 98 in C1 and 100 in M1

M1 of course! :biggrin:

You got 98 for C1 and 100 for M1 hardly comparable really because them extra 2 UMS was probably due to some silly mistake and you didn't do so well with M2 showing the true toughness of Mechanics and preparing me for the worst because I'm struggling with M1-I scraped a C on a past paper:mad:
You got 98 for C1 and 100 for M1 hardly comparable really because them extra 2 UMS was probably due to some silly mistake and you didn't do so well with M2 showing the true toughness of Mechanics and preparing me for the worst because I'm struggling with M1-I scraped a C on a past paper:mad:

You scraped a C having just started the course? Have you done any work over summer?

Or maybe that could have also been due to stupid mistakes? I still got an A in M2 in the end so hardly a terrible grade, I never had any problems with M2 or found it much of a jump from M1, just made trivial mistakes I shouldn't have on the day.
Original post by lolface32
You scraped a C having just started the course? Have you done any work over summer?

My class finish Mechanics 1 a few weeks after the half term and we have learnt most of the content and I knew some vectors stuff but I am messing up with loads of questions and I din't do any Mechanics over the summer but I have been revising loads for Mechanics 1 with no avail.I had been getting As on AQA C1 and C2 before starting the course and EDEXCEL FP1 and I hadn't properly taught myself the unit but I had taught myself a lot of C3 and C4 and Complex Numbers which helped.I know a C isn't that bad but compared to how I have done in C1 and C2 and FP1 and also C4(92) it is terrible because I have got plenty of time to improve and if I knew the whole content then I would have got at least a B I reckon but on one paper the grade boundary for an A was 66, which was scary because it is easy to lose that many marks in Mechanics on one question by completing messing it up.Comparison of Maths difficulty and Further Maths difficulty:h:igh A:Low C-this shows the difference in difficulty between the 2 A-Levels.
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by Lucas.
Nah I don't have a job.

I think it's because I did nothing at all at GCSE.. whereas I'm actually working now, so it's tiring me out.. I'm not used to it. :tongue:

Me neither. High-five!! :biggrin:

Ahh, you're one of those lucky people who didn't need to work at GCSE... I envy you all :angry:
Are you two related? :awesome:

Nope :tongue: we just clearly both have an awesome taste in usernames :wink:

Original post by L'Evil Fish
Hahaha, no :wink: she had never heard of me before she made the account!

Considering the fact that you seem to be something of a legend on here, the fact that I hadn't heard of you still kind of surprises me :colondollar:
Or maybe that could have also been due to stupid mistakes? I still got an A in M2 in the end so hardly a terrible grade, I never had any problems with M2 or found it much of a jump from M1, just made trivial mistakes I shouldn't have on the day.

If I make these trivial mistakes then I will do even worse though:confused:
Also, I have a question are vectors just another way to express parametric equations say if you have s=24i+34j+t(6i-3j)
couldn't this just be rewrote as x=24+6t y=34-3t and thus it is a parametic equation and if y=34-3t then 34-y=3t 68-2y=6t x=24+68-2y=92-2y 92-x=2y 46-x/2=y now its in the form y=mx+c.
Original post by LeFailFish
Nope :tongue: we just clearly both have an awesome taste in usernames :wink:

Considering the fact that you seem to be something of a legend on here, the fact that I hadn't heard of you still kind of surprises me :colondollar:

Hahaha, I've cut down now!
Are you determining your favourite modules from stuff done in the summer? I'm concerned that my school might be doing something wrong, if you've done enough in lessons to have favourite modules this early, but if you did stuff in the summer that would make sense :tongue:

Both of those modules end up getting very tedious

I opened my FP1 book excited to see what was what, but it became so damn boring by the end :facepalm2:
If I make these trivial mistakes then I will do even worse though:confused:
Also, I have a question are vectors just another way to express parametric equations say if you have s=24i+34j+t(6i-3j)
couldn't this just be rewrote as x=24+6t y=34-3t and thus it is a parametic equation and if y=34-3t then 34-y=3t 68-2y=6t x=24+68-2y=92-2y 92-x=2y 46-x/2=y now its in the form y=mx+c.

No vectors \not= parametric equations. To simplify that you could express it in the form (24 + 6t)i + (34 - 3t)j or if it helps (24+6t343t)\begin{pmatrix} 24 + 6t \\ 34 - 3t \end{pmatrix}. You don't ever express it in terms of y and x.
Original post by MangoFreak

I opened my FP1 book excited to see what was what, but it became so damn boring by the end :facepalm2:

I enjoyed proof by Induction, and didn't mind matrices & series :smile:, but yh the questions do get really repetitive.
No vectors \not= parametric equations. To simplify that you could express it in the form (24 + 6t)i + (34 - 3t)j or if it helps (24+6t343t)\begin{pmatrix} 24 + 6t \\ 34 - 3t \end{pmatrix}. You don't ever express it in terms of y and x.

i and j are just x and y really though aren't they because the origin is often mentioned in questions so that means they are on a graph and they use x and y generally.
Original post by L'Evil Fish
Hahaha, I've cut down now!

Well I can understand that - there's so many more things to do with A levels, 'cause you've got to sort things like work experience as well. It gets complicated!!
Original post by LeFailFish
Me neither. High-five!! :biggrin:

Ahh, you're one of those lucky people who didn't need to work at GCSE... I envy you all :angry:

trust me there is nothing to envy, I wish I actually worked for gcse's ,firstly I could of got an few extra A*'s and secondly I'm just not used to actually using my brain so these last few weeks have been a nightmare