The Student Room Group

Economics applicant thread UCAS 2014

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Dilzo999
Which uni did you want it to be? I'm pretty sure that judging by your results you should get in as your results are decent and better than most as well as your GCSE's are better than mine XD. I'm applying for MORSE so yeah it is probably different.

haha i wanted it to be Warwick , but for Economics too :tongue:

ah well yeah think i should be alright although who knows.... :smile:
Original post by amg_22
FYI I got AAAAA (average 95% UMS) at AS level and was predicted A*A*A*A*A* but still got rejected from Warwick for Economics :tongue:

I thought you dropped History after AS?
Original post by amg_22
FYI I got AAAAA (average 95% UMS) at AS level and was predicted A*A*A*A*A* but still got rejected from Warwick for Economics :tongue:

Lol maybe your grades were too high? I've also read that universities don't like "Oxbridge applicants" as they're a waste of time.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 1143
Original post by A193
These are the Grades I have received:

AS Maths (A)
A2 Maths (A*)
AS Economics (A)
AS History (A)

AS Further Maths (Predicted A)
A2 Economics (Predicted A)
A2 History (Predicted A*/A)

I have chosen to apply at these unis/and choices

LSE: Economics (L101)
Royal Holloway Economics (L101)
UCL: Economics (L100)
LSE: Economics with Economic History (L1V3)
Royal Holloway: Economics and Mathematics (LG11)

Since LSE/UCL want an A* in Maths, and Royal Holloway tend to want a A/B - how likely am I to get an unconditional offer (BTW, I have finished my A-Level Maths, with a definite A* in the bag???)

Also, for AS Economics I scored these UMS
AQA AS Economics
ECON1: 83/100
ECON2: 80/100

Wanting to achieve an A, do you think I should retake ECON2, since I'm only hanging by a thread on the A, and A2 Economics is significantly harder.
Ii thought I did well in ECON2, but unfortunately the grade boundaries were higher than usual.

Hi, I am a LSE applicant for Econ as well.
I am just curious about the reasons why do you choose 2 courses at LSE.
I wanted to apply for 2 courses at LSE,but when I talked to my friends,
they say that might disadvantage me in the application process.
What do you think? Will it disadvantage or advantage?
Reply 1144
Original post by Dilzo999
Lol maybe your grades were too high? I've also read that universities don't like "Oxbridge applicants" as they're a waste of time.

While that seems the most logical reason, a fair amount of people with all A* predictions get rejected from Oxbridge and LSE and end up accepting Warwick. I think the reason was for my GCSEs :tongue:
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 1145
Original post by amg_22
While that seems the most logical reason, a fair amount of people with all A* predictions get rejected from Oxbridge and LSE and end up excepting Warwick. I think the reason was for my GCSEs :tongue:

You might just be over qualified.
Reply 1146
Original post by lostesp
You might just be over qualified.

Strongly disagree with this

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by amg_22
While that seems the most logical reason, a fair amount of people with all A* predictions get rejected from Oxbridge and LSE and end up excepting Warwick. I think the reason was for my GCSEs :tongue:

pretty sure i remember you saying you got like 6A*'s or something like that - so if that was the reason theeeeeennnnnn im truly ****ed

although i don't understand why you got rejected , someone i know got 5A*'s and AAAA managed to get in :confused:
Original post by amg_22

That's outrageous!
got 6A* 4A and a B (in PE) at GCSE and am taking maths, further, economics and history AS now in year 12. can anyone tell me the AS grades i would need as i want to apply to oxford/cambridge, UCL and LSE.
Reply 1150
Original post by Millerman
got 6A* 4A and a B (in PE) at GCSE and am taking maths, further, economics and history AS now in year 12. can anyone tell me the AS grades i would need as i want to apply to oxford/cambridge, UCL and LSE.

As high as you can? Seeming economics is ridiculously competitive at Oxford, likewise for the others
Reply 1151
Original post by lostesp
Hi, I am a LSE applicant for Econ as well.
I am just curious about the reasons why do you choose 2 courses at LSE.
I wanted to apply for 2 courses at LSE,but when I talked to my friends,
they say that might disadvantage me in the application process.
What do you think? Will it disadvantage or advantage?

Did your friends say why it is a disadvantage? I'm choosing LSE Economics as my first choice (A*AA), and also Economics WITH Economic History as a back up (4th out of my 5 options), as the entry requirements are AAB, therefore A*BB in my case
Reply 1152
Original post by A193
Did your friends say why it is a disadvantage? I'm choosing LSE Economics as my first choice (A*AA), and also Economics WITH Economic History as a back up (4th out of my 5 options), as the entry requirements are AAB, therefore A*BB in my case

I hope you have quite a lot of history content in your PS, and not picking E+EH just for the sake of lower applications + requirements. Your just asking for an instant rejection otherwise.
Reply 1153
Original post by Jkizer
I hope you have quite a lot of history content in your PS, and not picking E+EH just for the sake of lower applications + requirements. Your just asking for an instant rejection otherwise.

Ii mentioned this book about Economic History, and a lot about my AS History, and as I'm predicted either A*/A for History, yes pickign E with EH, is legit, but pure Economics is my first and ultimate choice.
Original post by Millerman

Probably all A's to be honest

Edit: Just try your best - I tried really hard at AS, I got A's B's and C's, I used to ask around on TSR about big unis like Cambridge before I got my results (I thought I was going to get A's and B's tbh) but then it turned out I wasnt good enough. Just forget unis until you get your results, because you're probably wasting your time
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by Jkizer
How much detail do you think you should go into talking about your conclusion/research ?

My conclusion was just 'I concluded blah blah based on x,y,z'
My research was more 'I read x,y,z agreed with x because blah, disagreed with y, unsure about z' that kind of thing.
In total it was perhaps 3 lines, maybe 4
Reply 1156
Original post by A193

Yep,
1st knew a guy applied to LSE last year for two course under the same department, government policy or sth like that, got both courses rej in Dec.

2nd LSE would say that you were unsure about ur choice.
( Adding another choice may let LSE think you really want to go to LSE,
but it show that u r not confident enough.)
Reply 1157
Original post by Jkizer
If you've guaranteed your A* (In theory) then you might as well bump up your choices to some AAA universities possibly.
You cannot get an unconditional because your still in the process of A2. In an imaginary world where Perfect competition exists, you could even achieve A*UU... so yeah.... Unconditional are for gap year/mature students usually

Just be aware that as you are doing 2 A2's and 1 AS in your final year, this may raise an eyebrow from some universities because it could almost be seen as 'lazy' even though you fast tracked your A2 maths. This happened for a student in my school a few years back, where they fast tracked A2 maths in Y12 then did A2 Fmaths and Chemistry or something in Y13.

In our school those who do FM, have to fast track their Maths A-Level
Original post by A193
In our school those who do FM, have to fast track their Maths A-Level

Maybe get a teacher to explain this in your reference?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Finally decided to apply to Bristol instead of Bath, feels good to get that sorted.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending