The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by sarahiscool
trust me there is nothing to envy, I wish I actually worked for gcse's ,firstly I could of got an few extra A*'s and secondly I'm just not used to actually using my brain so these last few weeks have been a nightmare

I suppose the adjusting bit is quite hard. I'm sure you'll get used to it though, and when you do you should be able to do amazingly :biggrin: just the thing is, I had to work much harder than everyone thinks for my GCSE grades, they were pretty good but nothing special compared to the people on here, and now everyone around me expects me to do incredibly well at A level as well. But having had to work so hard for GCSE I'm not sure I can do that, even if I do work. And I want to study Medicine, so if I don't do ridiculously well I'll have to change my entire future plan, so it's all a little stressful :frown: but I'm sure we'll all get through it.
Original post by Dalek1099
i and j are just x and y really though aren't they because the origin is often mentioned in questions so that means they are on a graph and they use x and y generally.

I suppose you could, but I don't see what would be the point
Original post by LeFailFish
I suppose the adjusting bit is quite hard. I'm sure you'll get used to it though, and when you do you should be able to do amazingly :biggrin: just the thing is, I had to work much harder than everyone thinks for my GCSE grades, they were pretty good but nothing special compared to the people on here, and now everyone around me expects me to do incredibly well at A level as well. But having had to work so hard for GCSE I'm not sure I can do that, even if I do work. And I want to study Medicine, so if I don't do ridiculously well I'll have to change my entire future plan, so it's all a little stressful :frown: but I'm sure we'll all get through it.

Medicine is hard. I have bad grades. I learnt from my GCSEs that I will find it hard to get into medicine but I have put it up one gear, to steal the place of someone else, so I now work harder than ever. Trust me, don't give up. You can't just get through it, you will need to rip through it. You need to walk in and out of the exam like it was nothing. Remember someone want's that place A LOT more than you do, but you will have to want it MORE. You want to earn what is rightfully yours, so don't be like me and put it up one gear, put it up 10 fold.
Just don't disappoint yourself, as long as you do that, you will be fine.
Original post by Boy_wonder_95
I suppose you could, but I don't see what would be the point

It helped me understand what was going on a lot better in terms of x and y and I'm thinking that using i and j for vectors might not have been a good idea by Edexcel and other boards because of confused with sqrt(-1).
Original post by L'Evil Fish
Hahaha, I've cut down now!

you are up 9000 from mayishh .... thats not a slow down lol

Ryan
Reply 5625
Mechanics is very interesting but it is very easy to make mistakes in Mechanics and you really have to understand what is going on, which makes it really hard.I feel for those who have to do Mechanics as part of normal Maths because Mechanics is way harder than any of the AS Pure Maths modules.

If I do really bad in M1 could EDEXCEL swapo S1 and M1 in such a way that I do better in Further Maths but don't get an A in Maths-I'm a bit worried about this-its unlikely I will do bad enough in M1 not to get an A in Maths( with high scores in C1 and C2) anyway but I just wondered.

What would you advise me to do if I can't understand Mechanics because neither a Maths or Physics degree would be a good idea.

Yeah many times me and my friend have gone through a full question figuring stuff out only to notice we get the wrong answer, then spend most the lesson trying to find what went wrong! :lol:

What makes me feel worse is I'm taking all 4 mechanics modules! :eek:

I'm afraid I can't be much help on the exams and advice kind of stuff, sorry. But if you would like to get into a math/physics career I would imagine you would need to put in a lot of work for mechanics to help yourself, or just avoid it.
Come on, I don't think anybody really takes the rep system seriously any more :tongue:
Original post by Tibbz2
Yeah many times me and my friend have gone through a full question figuring stuff out only to notice we get the wrong answer, then spend most the lesson trying to find what went wrong! :lol:

What makes me feel worse is I'm taking all 4 mechanics modules! :eek:

I'm afraid I can't be much help on the exams and advice kind of stuff, sorry. But if you would like to get into a math/physics career I would imagine you would need to put in a lot of work for mechanics to help yourself, or just avoid it.

I'm putting in a lot of effort now and I'm taking M1-M3 and M1-M2 for AS Further Maths so I am worried that it will screw my AS Further Maths up.I am working really hard at the moment-I never really had to revise for Maths before.Its so hard to adjust between topics as well because in my last lesson I got 16/16 on a really hard question but completely messed up the easy question because I was forgetting the basic and easy methods you could use for them.I find that so much goes into Mechanics questions-its like when your teacher says design a really hard question and you put loads of stuff into it and that's what they do fro virtually every Mechanics question.There are loads of ways to go wrong eg. thinking that the acceleration up a slope once a pulley snaps is -9.8 but you forgot friction, you forgot that its on a slope so a=gsintheta etc etc-how people are supposed to plug all these things into at once and not make a mistake and forget or misassume something is beyond me.

Its possible I truly don't have that much mathematical ability-I can do pure maths but Mechanics is so hard I find it interesting though and its a great feeling to solve a Mechanics problem correctly.Are you like me in the way that I check the answers at the back every question because I always think that I have probably gone wrong and a lot of the time I have-in comparison for Maths I just fly through them and check the answers at the end.
(edited 10 years ago)
Those chat threads seem to be just lures for trolls, when I saw the thread Cambridge and Oxford had been knocked out in the early rounds which really shows how stupid the threads are.
Those chat threads seem to be just lures for trolls, when I saw the thread Cambridge and Oxford had been knocked out in the early rounds which really shows how stupid the threads are.

How does it? Maybe people just don't like those universities...
Original post by manchesterunited15
How does it? Maybe people just don't like those universities...

The whole point of the exercise is determining which of the Russell Group universities are the best( obviously Oxbridge) maybe you could excuse them just missing out on winning but going out in the early rounds-thats trolling and they are the msot popular universities by a mile source:http://www.theunipod.com/making-your-choice/university-rankings/social-media-rankings
I think it could be due to the fact that lots of people are jealous they didn't get into Oxbridge so vote them out early and try to pretend they went to the best university in the UK in their own deluded fantasy.
The whole point of the exercise is determining which of the Russell Group universities are the best( obviously Oxbridge) maybe you could excuse them just missing out on winning but going out in the early rounds-thats trolling and they are the msot popular universities by a mile source:http://www.theunipod.com/making-your-choice/university-rankings/social-media-rankings

Yes, forum games are such accurate measures of opinion within a population with regards to a highly subjective subject :colonhash:
To be fair, if the point is to have your university win the forum game, then that seems like a reasonably effective method of psychological warfare :u:
Reply 5633
Is anyone else taking Bio AS- it's so hard, so much to learn :frown:
Reply 5634
good luck to everyone this year!
the switch to a levels has been really really weird but i feel like im actually being challenged so its all very exciting.

Posted from TSR Mobile
the next two lessons I have are between 2:10-4:10, and then I get the bus home, then I'm off to the football. What are the odds I get a tonne of homework all due in tomorrow? :angry:
Original post by SophF_rth
I've barely been using TSR much so it's fine! Sorry to hear about that though.

College is taking over my life! I didn't realise how much i have forgotten too its crazy. Only thing where I haven't forgotten too much is maths :biggrin: Yes, mocks should be fun :wink:

I've have 3 weeks now, lessons are going well so far enjoying myself. There is only one teacher I don't really like, for the reason she keeps picking on me :angry: But otherwise its good.

Yeah, well I have in the past! But, because I missed a year of doing any proper physical exercise I've been too scared to attend training at College. I'm worried they'll all be amazing and I'll let everyone down. I'm trying to make myself go though! Do you play any sports? :smile:

Quite often, i will spend half of my lunch break everyday on tsr in the college library where we have the computers.

Haha yh, college is now my life aswell! Compared to my previous sixth form, i feel so at home here.

Yh im loving it too. It is so typical to have a teacher who you hate, but i like all my teachers.

Why don't you give it your best shot and see how it goes?
And no, i really don't play any sports lol. It seems i am probably the only boy in this college who doesn't.
But i like cricket, tennis and badminton. I just need to do loads of practice for them, i'll try to do so when i go uni.
Tutoring some year 11s, could I put this on my UCAS?
Can I be Year12 as I'm doing new AS Levels plz I can't get any older :frown:

Original post by rubieee
Is anyone else taking Bio AS- it's so hard, so much to learn :frown:

Yeah I'm doing it with OCR. I think it's quite fun tbh (more fun than I expected), but yeah remembering all the terms is difficult, but most you can figure out based on the words e.g. "heteropolysaccharide" hetero - 2 different (heterosexual), poly (many) saccharide (compound containing sugars?)

But yes I understand it's so much to digest.
Original post by textbookanswer
Medicine is hard. I have bad grades. I learnt from my GCSEs that I will find it hard to get into medicine but I have put it up one gear, to steal the place of someone else, so I now work harder than ever. Trust me, don't give up. You can't just get through it, you will need to rip through it. You need to walk in and out of the exam like it was nothing. Remember someone want's that place A LOT more than you do, but you will have to want it MORE. You want to earn what is rightfully yours, so don't be like me and put it up one gear, put it up 10 fold.
Just don't disappoint yourself, as long as you do that, you will be fine.

Thanks so much for the support and advice!! :biggrin: I'm definitely not giving up, certainly not before I have my AS grades in hand and so know whether or not application is realistic. Good luck to you, hopefully we'll both get to where we want to be in the end!!

Latest