The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

I did try that but it's not coming up with any results for Seconday History.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by selhurst-hero
I did try that but it's not coming up with any results for Seconday History.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Try googling the names of unis close to you and then 'history pgce'.
Reply 522
I'm currently in my third year and I am going to apply for Primary PGCE this November for Sept 2014 but I'm still not 100% where I want to apply for.

Up until the back end of summer I was going to stay up North but I'm positive I want to go to London and totally have a new experience with things but there are so many to choose from! I think I've narrowed it down a little bit but any advice on which Universities in London are more preferable would be greatly appreciated!

Also at the beginning of the year I started volunteering at my old primary school, which was surreal! However with my University for one of my modules I am doing the Students in School module and I'm just wondering whether this would class as experience in a school (I mean it's in a school so I can't see why not :P).

Total essay...sorry! xx
Original post by beccie
I'm currently in my third year and I am going to apply for Primary PGCE this November for Sept 2014 but I'm still not 100% where I want to apply for.

Up until the back end of summer I was going to stay up North but I'm positive I want to go to London and totally have a new experience with things but there are so many to choose from! I think I've narrowed it down a little bit but any advice on which Universities in London are more preferable would be greatly appreciated!

Also at the beginning of the year I started volunteering at my old primary school, which was surreal! However with my University for one of my modules I am doing the Students in School module and I'm just wondering whether this would class as experience in a school (I mean it's in a school so I can't see why not :P).

Total essay...sorry! xx

I would be wary of starting such a difficult course and moving to a completely different place. You will need family/friends around to keep you sane. Also, have you taken into account that some London schools are much more difficult than some northern schools? (More ENglish as a foreign language students, behavioural issues etc on average).

The IOE is one of the best in London for pgces.

Your university experience will count yes.
Reply 524
Hey all :smile:

I'm looking to apply for a PGCE in 2014 for Secondary English ... and oh my goodness is there so much to take in!

I'm working as a TA in a secondary school at the moment, years 7-11. Although my main focus is SEN and behavioural students, it still involves assisting across the board. I'm also lucky in that my time-table has me in everything from extra curricular support lessons, through to top set.
It's also really interesting looking at how the same students respond to different subjects, and how different subjects teach (some more games and practical focused, others very heavily text book reliant). Very invaluable experience, and having been there a month, I'm fast filling a note book with ideas!

I also worked for 6 months at a vocational college for ages 16+ in the Life Long Learning Sector. Although my main focus there was Literacy, I still worked in vocational topics too. A very different experience, but very useful!! The college was primarily attended by those were conventional education had failed them, so it was interesting to see how they wouldn't engage with normal literacy, but got incredibly creative and focused when the literacy tasks related to their chosen vocational area. This is definitely something I hope I can take away and build on for teaching.

I'm hoping that should be enough experience for a PGCE. The only thing I wonder is, if my experience is wide enough? The school I'm in at the moment is on Special Measures, with the transition to becoming an Academy in Easter 2014. The vocational college was Ofsted ranked as a Grade 3 which is "satisfactory" with some areas of "good".

Should I be endeavoring to work in a school that is ranked by Ofsted as being Outstanding? Both the Middle School and Upper school I went to are both "Outstanding" and in 6th form I did a little bit in lower years as part of a volunteering scheme. Would this be enough to count?

I'm considering UEA at the moment, and am heading up there next week to have a look around and meet some course leaders.

Does anyone know of any websites that help with the QTS Literacy and Numeracy tests?

Thank you! Look forward to talking to you all more, and getting some fantastic advice and support!
Original post by CER1389

I'm looking to apply for a PGCE in 2014 for Secondary English ... and oh my goodness is there so much to take in!

I'm working as a TA in a secondary school at the moment, years 7-11. Although my main focus is SEN and behavioural students, it still involves assisting across the board. I'm also lucky in that my time-table has me in everything from extra curricular support lessons, through to top set.
It's also really interesting looking at how the same students respond to different subjects, and how different subjects teach (some more games and practical focused, others very heavily text book reliant). Very invaluable experience, and having been there a month, I'm fast filling a note book with ideas!

I also worked for 6 months at a vocational college for ages 16+ in the Life Long Learning Sector. Although my main focus there was Literacy, I still worked in vocational topics too. A very different experience, but very useful!! The college was primarily attended by those were conventional education had failed them, so it was interesting to see how they wouldn't engage with normal literacy, but got incredibly creative and focused when the literacy tasks related to their chosen vocational area. This is definitely something I hope I can take away and build on for teaching.

I'm hoping that should be enough experience for a PGCE. The only thing I wonder is, if my experience is wide enough? The school I'm in at the moment is on Special Measures, with the transition to becoming an Academy in Easter 2014. The vocational college was Ofsted ranked as a Grade 3 which is "satisfactory" with some areas of "good".

Should I be endeavoring to work in a school that is ranked by Ofsted as being Outstanding? Both the Middle School and Upper school I went to are both "Outstanding" and in 6th form I did a little bit in lower years as part of a volunteering scheme. Would this be enough to count?

I'm considering UEA at the moment, and am heading up there next week to have a look around and meet some course leaders.

Does anyone know of any websites that help with the QTS Literacy and Numeracy tests?

Thank you! Look forward to talking to you all more, and getting some fantastic advice and support!

You definitely have enough experience, don't worry. It's all about how you reflect on that experience in ps and interview though.
Reply 526
Original post by CER1389

Like shelly said it's all about how you reflect. Being in a Requires Improvement/Special Measures school for experience should not count against you. For a start Ofsted are far from perfect so I would expect all unis to be hesitant to make judgements based on reports anyway. But also, the experience you have is not to do with you having seen good practice which you can use (although that is useful!), it's about you understanding about how children learn, and using what you HAVE seen to input in to your own practice.

Also, UEA!!!! DO IT!!!

:smile::smile::smile::smile:

xxx
Reply 527
Hi everyone, not sure if you can help me.

I'm a 31 year old secondary history teacher but an awful lot has changed with the application process since I went though it and I'm looking for some help for my husband.

He is 33 and a landscape gardener but 4 years ago he started his OU degree in Social sciences with Geography and got a 2:1 just over a year ago. He did this full time while working full time. In the meantime we have had a son and my husband has managed to do 2 weeks experience in a primary school in July but as he gets no holiday pay we can't really afford for him to do much more and it is difficult for him to get the time off work.

For over ten years he has helped teach the trumpet at a boys marching band twice a week and has taken the lads on trips around the uk/abroad etc so has quite a lot of experience working with young people in other ways.

Do you think this will be enough experience for him to get a place on a teaching course? When I applied I had only done a day of observation - it was a lot less competitive then I think! Or do you think he will definitely need more to apply for Primary teaching this year? He did apply for a couple of School Direct places for this year in June but this was before he had done his experience and he didn't get an interview.

Thanks for your help!
Original post by Cloclo15

I'm a 31 year old secondary history teacher but an awful lot has changed with the application process since I went though it and I'm looking for some help for my husband.

He is 33 and a landscape gardener but 4 years ago he started his OU degree in Social sciences with Geography and got a 2:1 just over a year ago. He did this full time while working full time. In the meantime we have had a son and my husband has managed to do 2 weeks experience in a primary school in July but as he gets no holiday pay we can't really afford for him to do much more and it is difficult for him to get the time off work.

For over ten years he has helped teach the trumpet at a boys marching band twice a week and has taken the lads on trips around the uk/abroad etc so has quite a lot of experience working with young people in other ways.

Do you think this will be enough experience for him to get a place on a teaching course? When I applied I had only done a day of observation - it was a lot less competitive then I think! Or do you think he will definitely need more to apply for Primary teaching this year? He did apply for a couple of School Direct places for this year in June but this was before he had done his experience and he didn't get an interview.

Thanks for your help!

I think two weeks is enough. That tends to be the minimum. To be honest, you hear all sorts of stories to do with exp. Some people have loads (maybe years) and still don't get a place, others have two weeks or something and are successful. I would think your husband would at least get an interview, and then he can focus on impressing at interview! I'm not applying for primary though, so someone else might want to comment. I believe it is more competitive than secondary. I wish him the best of luck.

I have a question myself, to anyone who knows. Can you defer an offer? I don't think you can but I thought I'd check.

Thanks for your help!

He's got the minimum amount needed, so he has every chance of getting an interview. It's more about what he learnt from his exp and what he observed than the length of it. Make sure he's very reflective about his exp on his personal statement and reflective of teaching in general.
Reply 530
Original post by Airfairy
I think two weeks is enough. That tends to be the minimum. To be honest, you hear all sorts of stories to do with exp. Some people have loads (maybe years) and still don't get a place, others have two weeks or something and are successful. I would think your husband would at least get an interview, and then he can focus on impressing at interview! I'm not applying for primary though, so someone else might want to comment. I believe it is more competitive than secondary. I wish him the best of luck.

I have a question myself, to anyone who knows. Can you defer an offer? I don't think you can but I thought I'd check.

I imagine it would be completely dependent on the uni. If you're considering it at this stage I'd probably say wait a year, but if it's something which may come up after getting a place and it does, contact the uni to ask.

Xxx

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 531
Thanks, I'm hoping the fact he is a man applying for primary might swing him a interview too.
When you say to be reflective, are you talking about commenting on the different types of learning needs/teaching styles observed and what did/didn't work well etc?
Original post by kpwxx
I imagine it would be completely dependent on the uni. If you're considering it at this stage I'd probably say wait a year, but if it's something which may come up after getting a place and it does, contact the uni to ask.

Xxx

Posted from TSR Mobile

I'm not considering it because I want to defer, it's because I've been unwell for ages and I think I'm going to end up taking a leave of absence and applying next year now, but I guess if that's the case I can't apply now anyway really. Such a let down, I was really hyped up to apply this year :frown: trying to look at the positives, like how I can get more experience and do a bit more reading up on my PGCE subject, also maybe the skills tests will be a bit more concrete then.
Reply 533
I'm not considering it because I want to defer, it's because I've been unwell for ages and I think I'm going to end up taking a leave of absence and applying next year now, but I guess if that's the case I can't apply now anyway really. Such a let down, I was really hyped up to apply this year :frown: trying to look at the positives, like how I can get more experience and do a bit more reading up on my PGCE subject, also maybe the skills tests will be a bit more concrete then.

Yes definitely, think if how much you can take from a years worth of experience. And the skills tests won't be a surprise like for everyone else.

Xxx

Posted from TSR Mobile

You might find the rare institution that let's you if you have good reason, but the answer is generally no.
Thanks, I'm hoping the fact he is a man applying for primary might swing him a interview too.
When you say to be reflective, are you talking about commenting on the different types of learning needs/teaching styles observed and what did/didn't work well etc?

Yep pretty much. Though he should be wary of critiquing the teacher too much.
Reply 536
For the personal statement how have people structured it?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Anyone else struggling getting school experience?
Reply 538
Original post by Juichiro
Anyone else struggling getting school experience?

Are you at uni? I've managed to get a placement in a school through uni. Also, I did a placement in my old primary school. I think you should keep emailing around, or phone them. I must have emailed about 10 schools and only one got back to me and said I could volunteer so I managed to get some work experience in June there. But if I wasn't getting a placement through uni now, I would struggle

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Fabay
Are you at uni? I've managed to get a placement in a school through uni. Also, I did a placement in my old primary school. I think you should keep emailing around, or phone them. I must have emailed about 10 schools and only one got back to me and said I could volunteer so I managed to get some work experience in June there. But if I wasn't getting a placement through uni now, I would struggle

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thanks for the advice, I will try contact my university about this.

Latest

Trending

Trending