The Student Room Group

2014 Medicine Re-Applicants

Scroll to see replies

Reply 2060
Original post by FlavaFavourFruit
I'm on a second gap year too! It's quite annoying seeing freshers pics from my former year and the year below me but it's well.

I think kcl is risky, I think 5A*s+ with 745 might be appropriate. Kcl use UKCAT and GCSE's on a sliding scale.

I just talked to a current kings student and she told it was very risky as well.
Being on a 2nd gap year deffo not risking it this year :P
I feel like I wasted my first gap year I was going to take Biology A2 but then never got round to it :frown: but i've been working as a HCA for 11 months hehe.
Original post by 06dwilliams
I got Band 3 in my UKCAT do you think that will affect my application in any way and which uni's will take into consideration seriously.

It will not affect your application to read medicine with the exception of Edinburgh.
Original post by Dr.Ugs
Lol felt like that before but I'm feeling like "get this over the **** with! "

How you finding the mocks? :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

I soooo desperately want this *******s over with. 3 hours after my UKCAT, I leave to got party it up in London town and it is the only thing getting me through :frown:(

I am getting about 630 in my Kaplan mocks :s-smilie: not really encouraging is it LOL

Despite the fact that preparing for it is draining my soul, is anyone else waaay less anxious about it than last time? I don't whether it's just me in a very "Sod it," mood, but like the worst thing that can happen is I get a really **** score and still apply to places I'd really like to go to, e.g. Leeds (**** it i'll take the risk), UEA (get full points on everything else so why not?!), BSMS and Bristol... or possibly Keele thrown in there...
Reply 2063
Original post by ameelia22
I soooo desperately want this *******s over with. 3 hours after my UKCAT, I leave to got party it up in London town and it is the only thing getting me through :frown:(

I am getting about 630 in my Kaplan mocks :s-smilie: not really encouraging is it LOL

Despite the fact that preparing for it is draining my soul, is anyone else waaay less anxious about it than last time? I don't whether it's just me in a very "Sod it," mood, but like the worst thing that can happen is I get a really **** score and still apply to places I'd really like to go to, e.g. Leeds (**** it i'll take the risk), UEA (get full points on everything else so why not?!), BSMS and Bristol... or possibly Keele thrown in there...

When are you taking it? Well it's only a few days to go and then hopefully you'll never have to sit this exam again :smile:
Reply 2064

This exam is really depressing lol!
Well atleast you get to party afterwards :tongue:

My friend was getting around that and ended up with 690 on the real thing so don't worry! KAPLAN mocks are said to be harder! How many have you done?

I was more confident about it last time :\ thinking that the 600Q book should be enough for me (the naive 16 year old) I only just got to understand its importance! Lol

Keele <3 was my fave :frown: I can't apply there now. I am sure you will do fine! Imagine how you were last year compared to this year. :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2065
Hi I did my UKCAT earlier and averaged 593 and band 1 SJ which is really bad I know :frown: Just couldn't hack the timing. but got achieved A2s at A*A*A and 9A*s at GCSE so I might still have a chance applying to non UKCAT unis... fingers crossed..
Original post by 1357
Hi I did my UKCAT earlier and averaged 593 and band 1 SJ which is really bad I know :frown: Just couldn't hack the timing. but got achieved A2s at A*A*A and 9A*s at GCSE so I might still have a chance applying to non UKCAT unis... fingers crossed..

Keele rank top 100 on academics alone, I'm sure you'll stand a great chance there.
Bristol is a good one. As is Cardiff, you'll get full academic score and then they'll score your PS too.
And other low UKCAT unis you can look at too. UEA, bsms, Liverpool, Lancaster and Birmingham.
I have a theatre support worker interview in a few weeks and I've been told there will be a group task and one to one interviews. Has anybody been for one before? Just wondering what the group task involves. I really want this job, it's literally dream my gap year job... Good luck to everyone going for the UKCAT :smile:
Reply 2068
Original post by FlavaFavourFruit
Keele rank top 100 on academics alone, I'm sure you'll stand a great chance there.
Bristol is a good one. As is Cardiff, you'll get full academic score and then they'll score your PS too.
And other low UKCAT unis you can look at too. UEA, bsms, Liverpool, Lancaster and Birmingham.

Thanks, I looked into Keele however I cant apply there because my 3rd A2 is psychology and they want a 3rd rigorous academic subject. Similarly, I've heard that Bristol (although they don't state it on the website) give preference to those whose 3rd/4th A2 is a traditional/rigorous subject. I'm thinking Lancastar & liverpool as they pay a lot of attention to PS. Currently working as a physio assistant on an acute stroke ward for my gap year so Ive got lots of work experience to write about in the PS.. Good luck in your application!
Original post by 1357
Thanks, I looked into Keele however I cant apply there because my 3rd A2 is psychology and they want a 3rd rigorous academic subject. Similarly, I've heard that Bristol (although they don't state it on the website) give preference to those whose 3rd/4th A2 is a traditional/rigorous subject. I'm thinking Lancastar & liverpool as they pay a lot of attention to PS. Currently working as a physio assistant on an acute stroke ward for my gap year so Ive got lots of work experience to write about in the PS.. Good luck in your application!

That sucks, psychology is a strong subject imo. Ahh well you have other options, good luck too :smile:
Reply 2070
Ive got my UKCAT on the 3rd however I dont know whether I should revise for it or not as I am not applying this year but next year. Ive revised a bit earlier on in the summer holidays. Would you advice me to revise solid for it in the one remaining day or just go in and see how it goes?
Reply 2071
Original post by AhmedDavid
Ive got my UKCAT on the 3rd however I dont know whether I should revise for it or not as I am not applying this year but next year. Ive revised a bit earlier on in the summer holidays. Would you advice me to revise solid for it in the one remaining day or just go in and see how it goes?

If you're not applying until next year, it's not really crucial that you sit it, is it? If you're just doing it for practice then obviously do the best you can but imo there's not much point in stressing over it because it's not going to affect your application for next year in any way.
Reply 2072
Original post by PG593
If you're not applying until next year, it's not really crucial that you sit it, is it? If you're just doing it for practice then obviously do the best you can but imo there's not much point in stressing over it because it's not going to affect your application for next year in any way.

Yeah Im not stressing but I just dont want an embarassing low score. It will make me depressed for the rest of the year. I was revising for it solidly at the start of the summer holday but then stopped as I had to much work and work experience to do. On my return I dont know whether I have enough time to revise as much as I want for it. I dont know whether to go in with no revision and hope for the best or to try and hammer in as much revision as I can and just see what I get. The second option seems sensible I guess but its so much effort
Reply 2073
Yeah Im not stressing but I just dont want an embarassing low score. It will make me depressed for the rest of the year. I was revising for it solidly at the start of the summer holday but then stopped as I had to much work and work experience to do. On my return I dont know whether I have enough time to revise as much as I want for it. I dont know whether to go in with no revision and hope for the best or to try and hammer in as much revision as I can and just see what I get. The second option seems sensible I guess but its so much effort

Don't be too hard on yourself, no one enjoys this exam (if you do...:confused:) but the way I see it for you it's a win win situation. If you do badly, be thankful this was not your cycle of application so you can learn from your mistakes and have a clean slate next year. If you get a great score then this should give you confidence that you have great potential to do even better next year so go in there 300% positive and see what you get with whatever revision you can squeeze between now and the 3rd. :smile:

If you're not applying this year, why sit it at all? You can't carry your score over to next year. There are plenty of practice methods that don't involve paying to sit the test.
Reply 2075
Original post by Philippamalko
I've just sat my UKCAT and got 770 and Band 1 SJT, achieved A levels of A*AAA, AS levels were AAAA and GCSEs of 6A*s and 6As. I'm thinking of applying to Newcastle, Leeds, Sheffield and Leicester, any thoughts? i applied last year and got no interviews or offers so i want to make sure that doesnt happen again

That's pretty similar to me - I got 770, Band 1 and A*AAA but then 8*As and 2As at GCSE. I think those are good choices! I'm also thinking of Leicester and Sheffield, but then Birmingham and Cardiff for my other two choices. Can't see why you didn't get any interviews last year!
:drool:
Original post by PG593
When are you taking it? Well it's only a few days to go and then hopefully you'll never have to sit this exam again :smile:

The 3rd... Just one more day of dedicated preparation :yawn:

Original post by Dr.Ugs
This exam is really depressing lol!
Well atleast you get to party afterwards :tongue:

My friend was getting around that and ended up with 690 on the real thing so don't worry! KAPLAN mocks are said to be harder! How many have you done?

I was more confident about it last time :\ thinking that the 600Q book should be enough for me (the naive 16 year old) I only just got to understand its importance! Lol

Keele <3 was my fave :frown: I can't apply there now. I am sure you will do fine! Imagine how you were last year compared to this year. :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Ooh, 690! :drool:

Do you reckon Newcastle's cut off this year will be more than 690? Surely it gets to a point where it's just taking the piss...
Reply 2077
Original post by PG593
Don't be too hard on yourself, no one enjoys this exam (if you do...:confused:) but the way I see it for you it's a win win situation. If you do badly, be thankful this was not your cycle of application so you can learn from your mistakes and have a clean slate next year. If you get a great score then this should give you confidence that you have great potential to do even better next year so go in there 300% positive and see what you get with whatever revision you can squeeze between now and the 3rd. :smile:

Cheers mate, you're a star you'll make a great Doctor Im sure
Reply 2078
:drool:

The 3rd... Just one more day of dedicated preparation :yawn:

Ooh, 690! :drool:

Do you reckon Newcastle's cut off this year will be more than 690? Surely it gets to a point where it's just taking the piss...

Lol last years was 695 :frown: It may go down, who knows?
If we had the stats for the UKCAT after the 4th we would have an idea. But I don't even know when they release that :frown:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2079
Original post by Becca-Sarah
If you're not applying this year, why sit it at all? You can't carry your score over to next year. There are plenty of practice methods that don't involve paying to sit the test.

I know that there are plenty of practice methods however Ill be using them next year when it actually counts & theres nothing like experiencing the test for real.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending