The Student Room Group

Help on buying GCSE Revision Guides?

1) For Science(AQA), is it better to get the CGP or the Nelson Thornes books?

2) For Music(Edexcel), which is the best out of:

CGP Areas of Study Edexcel
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Music-Edexcel-Areas-Study-Revision/dp/1847623727/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top

CGP Complete Revision and Practice Music
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Music-Complete-Revision-Practice-Audio/dp/1841463787/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1380555311&sr=8-4&keywords=gcse+music+revision+guide+edexcel

Edexcel GCSE Music Revision Guide
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Edexcel-GCSE-Music-Revision-Guide/dp/1907447091/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1380555311&sr=8-1&keywords=gcse+music+revision+guide+edexcel

3) What subjects did you buy revision guides for?

4) Is it better to get the CGP Complete Revision and Practice or the CGP shorter guides?

Answer what you know, thanks in advance. :wink:

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by ChoccyMelody
1) For Science(AQA), is it better to get the CGP or the Nelson Thornes books?

2) For Music(Edexcel), which is the best out of:

CGP Areas of Study Edexcel
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Music-Edexcel-Areas-Study-Revision/dp/1847623727/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top

CGP Complete Revision and Practice Music
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Music-Complete-Revision-Practice-Audio/dp/1841463787/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1380555311&sr=8-4&keywords=gcse+music+revision+guide+edexcel

Edexcel GCSE Music Revision Guide
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Edexcel-GCSE-Music-Revision-Guide/dp/1907447091/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1380555311&sr=8-1&keywords=gcse+music+revision+guide+edexcel

3) What subjects did you buy revision guides for?

4) Is it better to get the CGP Complete Revision and Practice or the CGP shorter guides?

Answer what you know, thanks in advance. :wink:

For AQA Science - CGP
For Edexcel Music
- CGP Complete Revision and Practice

​Hope this helps.
CGP for science is by far the best at GCSE, I got A* in Biology, A in Physics and A in Chemistry because of CGP. I also did AQA.
My school gave us guides for GCSE but I would definitely recommend CGP for sciences. I did Biology and Chemistry at A-level and got CGP revision guides, I had a lot of time off and a rubbish biology teacher, and never used the text book to catch up, just those revision guides. I got A*s in both with basically just CGP revision guides and past papers.
Reply 4
Original post by shuheb789
CGP for science is by far the best at GCSE, I got A* in Biology, A in Physics and A in Chemistry because of CGP. I also did AQA.

Original post by x__justmyluck
My school gave us guides for GCSE but I would definitely recommend CGP for sciences. I did Biology and Chemistry at A-level and got CGP revision guides, I had a lot of time off and a rubbish biology teacher, and never used the text book to catch up, just those revision guides. I got A*s in both with basically just CGP revision guides and past papers.

Original post by KH94

For AQA Science - CGP
For Edexcel Music
- CGP Complete Revision and Practice

​Hope this helps.

Thanks, for sciences should I get the CGP Complete Revision and Practice or would the shorter ones be alright? Also, are they out of date? They were published in 2011... I will be doing single science in 2014, additional in 2015 and further additional in 2016.

And is the RE CGP revision guide too general for Edexcel as it doesn't follow a specific exam board

Sorry for the many questions :tongue:
Hi there,

For any science subjects I would deffo go for CGP. GCSE's science is basically about memorization. I used the CGP guide for Physics, Biology &Chemistry and scored 100% in the last modules in each subject, only using a CGP guide. They're cheap too! :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
CGP is definitely good, I've been using them since primary and am doing my GCSE's now, I'm in year 10
..maybe i should get them science ones too, but we've already got one for science from the school..an Edexcel one for all three sciences
my teacher also says CGP are good and have detailed revision notes also i know many people who use them :smile:
Thanks, for sciences should I get the CGP Complete Revision and Practice or would the shorter ones be alright? Also, are they out of date? They were published in 2011... I will be doing single science in 2014, additional in 2015 and further additional in 2016.

And is the RE CGP revision guide too general for Edexcel as it doesn't follow a specific exam board

The shorter ones would be alright, so long as you go through every page properly (memorise all the key facts and make sure you understand all the concepts), you're practically guaranteed an A* and the 2011 ones will be fine.
Reply 8

For Sciences I would say shorter guides will be fine. I don't think it will matter they were published in 2011. If there is anything not covered in the guide, just send me a message and I will help you out.

For RE - if there is an Edexcel specific Revision Guide, you should buy that. However if there is not then the generic Revision Guide will be fine.

No problem with the many questions. Don't forget send me a message if you need any help at any time with any of your Science subjects.

(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 9
Original post by shuheb789
The shorter ones would be alright, so long as you go through every page properly (memorise all the key facts and make sure you understand all the concepts), you're practically guaranteed an A* and the 2011 ones will be fine.

Original post by KH94
For Sciences I would say shorter guides will be fine. I don't think it will matter they were published in 2011. If there is anything not covered in the guide, just send me a message and I will help you out.

For RE - if there is an Edexcel specific Revision Guide, you should buy that. However if there is not then the generic Revision Guide will be fine.

No problem with the many questions. Don't forget send me a message if you need any help at any time with any of your Science subjects.

Okay, thanks! :smile:
Hello, I am currently in Year 9 and I have started my AQA Triple Sciences this year. I am thinking of buying revision guides (either CGP or Nelson Thornes (my tutor recommends Nelson Thornes but what do you guys think?). However, I checked on the AQA website and found out that there is a new specification. Will this affect what I will learn? Will the current revision guides still be about what I will be learning? Please help because I am stuck on deciding whether to buy them yet...
Thank you.
For Science GCSE I really liked the CGP books, and for Music GCSE I found the edexcel textbook invaluable and don't think I would have managed my A without it - although I borrowed the CGP book from the library and found that a very useful extra resource too :smile: x
Reply 12
Original post by lovelycup7
For Science GCSE I really liked the CGP books, and for Music GCSE I found the edexcel textbook invaluable and don't think I would have managed my A without it - although I borrowed the CGP book from the library and found that a very useful extra resource too :smile: x

Okay, thank you. :wink:
I have the complete CGP guides for science, and having looked at the Nelson Thornes ones I have seem the best. The Nelson Thornes ones don't explain terribly well. I don't think there's that much difference between the shorter and longer CGP revision guides though.

EDIT: The longer one I have doesn't have any jokes but I think the shorter ones do. :confused:
(edited 10 years ago)
So I'm in Year 9 and I'm doing Triple Science... Is the new AQA specification for me or younger year groups?
Buy the Nelson Thornes revision guides, they are so useful, plus you know that what they say is definitely what you need to know for the AQA exam because they've been approved by AQA. I used them and got an A* for Core Science :smile:

Also I find the CGP ones so annoying, they try to be funny, but they just make me want to gouge my eyes out...
Reply 16
Original post by TheFlowersInMay
I have the complete CGP guides for science, and having looked at the Nelson Thornes ones I have seem the best. The Nelson Thornes ones don't explain terribly well. I don't think there's that much difference between the shorter and longer CGP revision guides though.

EDIT: The longer one I have doesn't have any jokes but I think the shorter ones do. :confused:

Original post by 3mm@
Buy the Nelson Thornes revision guides, they are so useful, plus you know that what they say is definitely what you need to know for the AQA exam because they've been approved by AQA. I used them and got an A* for Core Science :smile:

Also I find the CGP ones so annoying, they try to be funny, but they just make me want to gouge my eyes out...

Hmm... contradicting advice. Never knew buying revision guides were so confusing. :confused:
If you buy the complete revision and practice or the workbook it isn't so annoying. Its more serious, few jokes here and there but doesn't tell you to 'revise revise revise' lol I know that's annoying

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hmm... contradicting advice. Never knew buying revision guides were so confusing. :confused:

I found it confusing, but I was given most of mine free so obviously I went with the free ones. :smile:
Reply 19
Original post by TheFlowersInMay
I found it confusing, but I was given most of mine free so obviously I went with the free ones. :smile:

Haha, everyone loves freebies :wink:

Quick Reply

Latest