The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Ramires was quite good tonight as well. Again though I feel as time goes on we'll rely on him that much (when he isn't even top class), then if he gets injured as well we'll be in a bit of trouble. Hope we go for one in Jan at least...

Hazard shouldn't start even if he's fit. Guy has been quite underwhelming thus far second only to Cole.

So, Willian/Mata/Schurrle :biggrin:
Reply 6961
Original post by The Assassin
Ramires was quite good tonight as well. Again though I feel as time goes on we'll rely on him that much (when he isn't even top class), then if he gets injured as well we'll be in a bit of trouble. Hope we go for one in Jan at least...

Hazard shouldn't start even if he's fit. Guy has been quite underwhelming thus far second only to Cole.

So, Willian/Mata/Schurrle :biggrin:
Completely agree.

With van Ginkel out for most of the season I think we have to go for a CM in January unless we start playing Luiz (or perhaps even Oscar/KDB) there. If Ramires gets injured we're kind of screwed given how bad the Lampard/Mikel partnership can be, hopefully Essien can step up if such a situation arises, he looked pretty good against Swindon.
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by Nickini
Completely agree.

With van Ginkel out for most of the season I think we have to go for a CM in January unless we start playing Luiz (or perhaps even Oscar/KDB) there. If Ramires gets injured we're kind of screwed given how badly the Lampard/Mikel partnership can be, hopefully Essien can step up if such a situation arises, he looked pretty good against Swindon.

What would you think about a bid for Cabaye? I think he's got great composure on the ball, vision and goal scoring ability and we'll give us another option to Ramires. He's 27 which isn't young but at the same time we can't keep buying young promising players -- we've gotta get some developed ones and Cabaye will be entering his prime. He's not world class but I think he's a very good player -- would do better here than at Newcastle too. And, he wouldn't be cup-tied during the CL.

As long as we go for another DM in the summer I would be fine with that tbh.
Reply 6963
What would you think about a bid for Cabaye? I think he's got great composure on the ball, vision and goal scoring ability and we'll give us another option to Ramires. He's 27 which isn't young but at the same time we can't keep buying young promising players -- we've gotta get some developed ones and Cabaye will be entering his prime. He's not world class but I think he's a very good player -- would do better here than at Newcastle too. And, he wouldn't be cup-tied during the CL.

Haven't seen too much of him but from what I have that seems like a decent shout. Would probably be available for the right bid too.

Fully agree here. Cabaye is a very good player. Surprised United didn't go for him and went for Fellaini,
He'll cost around 15-18 million and if we get him, he should start most games.

There's not much other CM that we can get apart from him for a decent price, unless we pick off Barkley from Everton
Reply 6965
http://www1.skysports.com/football/news/11668/8952488/transfer-news-werder-bremen-offer-escape-route-for-chelsea-misfit-kevin-de-bruyne

I'd be lying if I said that I was absolutely not worried about this. A little yes but I know it's just the media writing a piece which looks worse than it is.

I love how when one of our players is left out of a squad, they have instantly been outcast. Mata to Barca and now De Bruyne to Bremen. Lol bet Schurrle back to Leverkusen is next if he's left out of 2 match day squads.
Torres out for 3 weeks!
Reply 6967
Original post by Enoxial
Torres out for 3 weeks!

Not too bad. He was going to miss this weekend's game anyway and it's the international break (:angry:) soon after . Just hope he doesn't lose this form he currently has
Reply 6968
Hope Eto can finally step up to the plate
Well at least people can see how well we did to hold off Bayern Munich. I think with Bayern the best way to play is to play on the break (like how we have been playing against Barcelona for the past 10 years) as their centre backs have an error in them. I thought City were trying to play Bayern at their game of keep-ball and they couldn't do it especially as Bayern outnumberd them in the central midfield areas coupled with Pep's pressing style. Had Silva started, it would've definitely given them more composure in the midfield and possibly slightly more possession.

I was having a read thorugh the comments from the Super Cup game against Bayern and people were saying how we "parked the bus". Even if we did, we still had more shots on target and possession than City. Didn't do too bad in the Super Cup now, did we?
Original post by 9MmBulletz
Well at least people can see how well we did to hold off Bayern Munich. I think with Bayern the best way to play is to play on the break (like how we have been playing against Barcelona for the past 10 years) as their centre backs have an error in them. I thought City were trying to play Bayern at their game of keep-ball and they couldn't do it especially as Bayern outnumberd them in the central midfield areas coupled with Pep's pressing style. Had Silva started, it would've definitely given them more composure in the midfield and possibly slightly more possession.

I was having a read thorugh the comments from the Super Cup game against Bayern and people were saying how we "parked the bus". Even if we did, we still had more shots on target and possession than City. Didn't do too bad in the Super Cup now, did we?

Yeah, very true. However, if you look at various comments on sites and news reports you'll see that no would agree. Lots said we were played off the park the entire game, no English team including Chelsea have looked good against Bayern, etc. etc.

We'll never be appreciate for whatever we do (this goes for other stuff as well not just against Bayern). Such is life eh? :biggrin:
Yeah, very true. However, if you look at various comments on sites and news reports you'll see that no would agree. Lots said we were played off the park the entire game, no English team including Chelsea have looked good against Bayern, etc. etc.

We'll never be appreciate for whatever we do (this goes for other stuff as well not just against Bayern). Such is life eh? :biggrin:

I can admit in 2012 we were very lucky in the semi's and final because let's face it we were. Created no clear cut chances in the final against Bayern last year.

This year, we defended resolutely and limited Bayern to mostly outside the area shots plus we countered well. Our final pass was lacking at times (which Mata would have provided) but even still we created the better chances and with a more clinical final ball, we could've beaten Bayern 2-1/3-1 in normal time. The match stats are heavily skewed by the fact that Ramires got sent off and Bayern produced an onslaught in the second half of extra time. Other than that it was a game that Bayern bossed territorially, but we had the better penetration
Reply 6972
Few days old now but what do you guys make of this?

Chiriches joined Spurs this summer from Chelsea's Champions League opponents Steaua Bucharest but reports in Romania suggest the defender does not see his long term future at White Hart Lane.

Chelsea boss Jose Mourinho has reportedly been monitoring Chiriches since he was in charge of Real Madrid and could look to bring the 23-year-old to Stamford Bridge at some point in the future.

Chiriches' agent Victor Becali told Sport.ro: "If he has one or two good seasons at Tottenham, Chelsea will be willing to pay a large sum to buy Chiriches.

"Mourinho says he has been aware of him since he was at Real Madrid."
http://www.express.co.uk/sport/football/433640/Vlad-Chiriches-sees-Tottenham-move-as-a-stepping-stone-to-Chelsea

Pretty odd move to make, and an even stranger thing to say.
Original post by Skkc16
Not too bad. He was going to miss this weekend's game anyway and it's the international break (:angry:) soon after . Just hope he doesn't lose this form he currently has

Fingers crossed!

Agree totally.

We're still looking at Mangala from Porto. Apparently he'll be Terry's long term replacement which makes sense considering he shares quite a few traits with him. We've also apparently beaten Milan and Barcelona to another Porto defender -- Otamendi, who's apparently more in the mould of Rio. I don't think 2 new CBs are needed unless ofc we don't use Kalas. Also have to look at a new LB eventually tbh.

(and a new striker, and one or 2 new midfielders)... :redface:
Agree totally.

We're still looking at Mangala from Porto. Apparently he'll be Terry's long term replacement which makes sense considering he shares quite a few traits with him. We've also apparently beaten Milan and Barcelona to another Porto defender -- Otamendi, who's apparently more in the mould of Rio. I don't think 2 new CBs are needed unless ofc we don't use Kalas. Also have to look at a new LB eventually tbh.

(and a new striker, and one or 2 new midfielders)... :redface:

New striker? Dunno about that. We have Lukaku and rumour has it that we may be after Benzema (realistic buy seeing as he's been there for 4 years now).
We may need one more centre back at a push. Remember that Ivanovic can play there although he's a bit dopey from time to time.
I tihnk more importantly we need one or two central midfielders. I'm not really concerned about defence as I always beleive if you score enough, you won't have to worry about the defensive side as much (something that Barcelona, Real Madrid and Munich go by) although at the same time, it's always helpful to have a rock solid defense
New striker? Dunno about that. We have Lukaku and rumour has it that we may be after Benzema (realistic buy seeing as he's been there for 4 years now).
We may need one more centre back at a push. Remember that Ivanovic can play there although he's a bit dopey from time to time.
I tihnk more importantly we need one or two central midfielders. I'm not really concerned about defence as I always beleive if you score enough, you won't have to worry about the defensive side as much (something that Barcelona, Real Madrid and Munich go by) although at the same time, it's always helpful to have a rock solid defense

Hmm I don't like him. I think he would work well in terms of integrating, holding up play and lead from the front but I'm not a fan of his consistency. In that case I would rather go for Suarez in January as he can do a similar job but better (and more consistently). Drogba e.g was one of the best at hanging on to a ball and feeding the rest of the team and the reason he was so good at Chelsea was the way he distracted the defense and caused enough havoc for the wingers and CMs to get into a shooting position and then he gave them the ball, so this is the type of striker that we should look for. Can Lukaku be like him? Maybe so but it's far too early to say anything.

However, I would still rather wait until next summer to try and sign Rooney -- he'll have one year left and it'll be a bit easier to get him. As mentioned, the best fit for a striker here is one that can integrate with the midfield 3 and roam about the way they do (Suarez), or a target man (Dzeko). Rooney however, I feel, combines the two which is why we should get him. Then a strikeforce of Rooney/Lukaku/Torres would be superb.

True, however I like a good defence myself :biggrin:. Always one of my preferred areas (guess the Terry/Carvalho pairing from before influenced me here greatly). And Mangala is a very very good CB. Oh and, I'd really prefer Ivan to stay as a RB -- think he's superb there and I'd even go to the extent of saying he's world class there...

Obviously early days to judge anything but what I'd like to see next summer: Rooney, Gundogan, Mangala. Think Cabaye would be good too although we'll also need someone more defensive.

Not likely we'll get any of 'em tbh but that'd be ideal :biggrin:.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 6977
Jose is so sick with young players.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Lukaku definatly not ready for chelsea..

4 goals in 3 games, 1 against city (so far)

just.. not ready..
Jose is an idiot. Gave Lukaku no starts in a competitive match and this is the result. Hopefully he takes him back in January or Everton could have a chance at top 4.
We sold Sturridge look what he's doing.
If we sell Lukaku I will go mad. Why doesn't Jose Mourinho give him a run of games I do not know.
(edited 10 years ago)

Latest