The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Fabay
Are you at uni? I've managed to get a placement in a school through uni. Also, I did a placement in my old primary school. I think you should keep emailing around, or phone them. I must have emailed about 10 schools and only one got back to me and said I could volunteer so I managed to get some work experience in June there. But if I wasn't getting a placement through uni now, I would struggle

Posted from TSR Mobile

Which department did you contact in order to get your placement?
Reply 541
Original post by Juichiro

The PGCE people usually know about these opportunities, otherwise the careers office should know.

Xxx

Posted from TSR Mobile

Is there a volunteering department? I got a placement through volunteering who had contacts with loads of schools and then one off things such as helping with school children who visited the uni and other stuff it's worth a try.
Original post by BabyGirl92
Is there a volunteering department? I got a placement through volunteering who had contacts with loads of schools and then one off things such as helping with school children who visited the uni and other stuff it's worth a try.

Thanks for your reply, BabyGirl. Yes, there is. I will email them tomorrow morning. Did you also do class observation? Can I ask what subject and level are you applying? I am applying from secondary spanish and french. :smile:
I'm also hoping to apply for a PGCE Secondary History for 2014. I'm from N.Ireland but hoping to head over to England to do my PGCE and have been looking at Worcester, Bristol, Exeter and Southampton. Is anyone else looking at these universities and course?

So far, I've got a couple of days experience at the end of last term, was tutoring a guy for his GCSEs, did some educational volunteering in a local museum and currently working as a classroom assistant in a secondary school with pupils with Special Educational Needs like Aspergers and Autism so I'm hoping this experience of working with SEN pupils and general behaviour management will help me as well as getting to see what classes are like from a pupils perspective and the different teaching techniques.

My main worry is the personal statement at the moment, I'm trying to find the right way to structure it all right. Anyone have any tips?
Reply 545

My uni has an access and community engagement centre so they do a lot of education outreach things. But maybe if you see your careers centre they might be able to point you in the right direction?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 546
Original post by BabyGirl92

Yeah and this!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 547
How many choices do we get this year? Is it three? And when can we officially apply?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Fabay
How many choices do we get this year? Is it three? And when can we officially apply?

Posted from TSR Mobile

1st November.

P.S. Thanks for answering my question. :smile:
Does anyone know if taking a leave of absence would be harmful to my application? Due to illness it is looking that I'll have to take leave and apply next year instead sadly. It would be pretty harsh for a uni to judge on that but I thought I'd ask because some unis can be weird haha.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 550
Original post by Fabay
For the personal statement how have people structured it?

I'm really struggling with my personal statement. I'm applying for PGCE Secondary English, so found this on TSR main website, which is an example personal statement for this course. It's helping a bit.
http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki/Personal_Statement:PGCE_Secondary_English_1

There are lots of different example personal statements, that might help you a bit?

I'm mostly finding it hard to be reflective, without sounding like "I did this and it made me think this and I can take away lots from this blah blah blah".

If you find anything useful, please let me know!

I find interviews so much easier than writing about myself!!
On a lighter note, with my personal statement i'm having trouble writing sentences that don't sound too creepy in terms of the kids!
Reply 552
Hi,

How is everyone checking that the personal statement is the right length as lots of past people have said when you copy it from Word to the application it all changes? Can we not apply until 1st Nov?

Who is everyone using for their references? I am currently a TA so guessing the school would be one?

Thanks!
Original post by Kk2k13
Hi,

How is everyone checking that the personal statement is the right length as lots of past people have said when you copy it from Word to the application it all changes? Can we not apply until 1st Nov?

Who is everyone using for their references? I am currently a TA so guessing the school would be one?

Thanks!

I believe if you use a reference from a school it has to be from the headteacher now?
Reply 554
Original post by Airfairy
Does anyone know if taking a leave of absence would be harmful to my application? Due to illness it is looking that I'll have to take leave and apply next year instead sadly. It would be pretty harsh for a uni to judge on that but I thought I'd ask because some unis can be weird haha.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I can't imagine so, in fact, I think they probably have a requirement to consider you equally regardless of illness (unless it would impact on your ability to complete the course).

Xxx

Posted from TSR Mobile

Posted from TSR Mobile

As long as you are fully recovered by the time you start the pgce it will be fine. You will need to fill out a 'fitness to teach' form as a condition of your offer which is assessed by occupational health and any issues will be worked out with them.
Original post by Shelly_x
As long as you are fully recovered by the time you start the pgce it will be fine. You will need to fill out a 'fitness to teach' form as a condition of your offer which is assessed by occupational health and any issues will be worked out with them.

So even though I'd gone back to uni and completed a my final year (my uni make us get medically checked before going back too), I'd have to be checked again?

Surely doing all that type of thing would put unis off me :/
So even though I'd gone back to uni and completed a my final year (my uni make us get medically checked before going back too), I'd have to be checked again?

Surely doing all that type of thing would put unis off me :/

It's a requirement that all trainees have to pass for every ITT course. It won't just be because you've take a year out. It is usually just a case of filling out a form with your medical history and they assess whether you need to meet with an OT or whether to pass you on the basis of what you've put down. Sorry if that was unclear.
Original post by Shelly_x
It's a requirement that all trainees have to pass for every ITT course. It won't just be because you've take a year out. It is usually just a case of filling out a form with your medical history and they assess whether you need to meet with an OT or whether to pass you on the basis of what you've put down. Sorry if that was unclear.

Ohhh, okay, that's good. I thought you meant just because I'd had a year out. Good to know anyway. Thank you. :smile:
Reply 559
I'm glad I'm not the only one struggling with my personal statement!

Everyone I ask for advice says I'm an English MA and BA graduate, surely I know how to write! But sometimes, you need someone to point out the bits of your personality that you take for granted.

I have written a very rough draft so far; I actually wrote it whilst observing a classroom assessment, so I was able to put my school experience very clearly into perspective, considering I was sat in a school!

It still needs a lot of work, but fingers crossed we'll all get there in time.

Latest

Trending

Trending