The Student Room Group
University of Manchester
University of Manchester
Manchester

Uni of Manchester Freshers 2014-15

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by Origami Bullets
It'll depends on the department - I'd suggest emailing the department to ask.

What subject are you applying for? Some (eg medicine) are genuine selection tools, but others (eg physics) just use it as a marketing tool and only invite those who are getting an offer.

If you make the department aware that you're going to be travelling then they may be willing to make adjustments (eg Skype interviews), though they may not - don't ask don't get and all that, though you should phrase it delicately.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I'm applying for maths with actuarial science :smile:
University of Manchester
University of Manchester
Manchester
Original post by Faye_m
I'm applying for maths with actuarial science :smile:

Can't say that I'm 100% on how they use interviews, so I'd suggest a delicately worded email ("I'm going to be travelling in East Asia from December to June.... When do you normally do interviews... Would it be possible to get an interview before / after I get back.... Is it possible to do an interview via Skype... If not then I will fly back for the interview because Manchester is my first choice uni, but it would be helpful to know how much notice I would get of an interview...." yadda yadda).

It's far from an exact science, but hopefully, if you tell them that you're going to be away but Manchester is your first choice (NB no university wants to hear that you'd sooner go elsewhere, even if you would) then they may be willing to rejig things. If they don't know then they can't do anything.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 22
:woo: Don't forget to have a look around the city itself in the evening then - there's a lot of nice things to see :h:

I remember you asking about halls, so you might like to go on the accommodation tour. They depart from Alan Turing building, and whilst Gabs won't be open, it might be nice to get an idea of what halls look like

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thanks for the info , i really apreciate it :-) im just wondering if i can just go along to the accom tour or do i have to have a booked place for the accom tour? Also, i just wanted to ask if you knew wot time the accom tour would be starting at the Alan Turing building? XD

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 23
Can't say that I'm 100% on how they use interviews, so I'd suggest a delicately worded email ("I'm going to be travelling in East Asia from December to June.... When do you normally do interviews... Would it be possible to get an interview before / after I get back.... Is it possible to do an interview via Skype... If not then I will fly back for the interview because Manchester is my first choice uni, but it would be helpful to know how much notice I would get of an interview...." yadda yadda).

It's far from an exact science, but hopefully, if you tell them that you're going to be away but Manchester is your first choice (NB no university wants to hear that you'd sooner go elsewhere, even if you would) then they may be willing to rejig things. If they don't know then they can't do anything.

Posted from TSR Mobile

That's a really good idea!! And I'm already in the Middle East lol! Dying to come home and visit and using Uni interviews as an excuse :smile: thanx for your advice!
Original post by aliakhan
Thanks for the info , i really apreciate it :-) im just wondering if i can just go along to the accom tour or do i have to have a booked place for the accom tour? Also, i just wanted to ask if you knew wot time the accom tour would be starting at the Alan Turing building? XD

Posted from TSR Mobile

You don't need a booked place on the accommodation tour, and buses leave every 8-10 minutes. Expect queues though, and as the bus will take about 10 minutes each way, and the tour will take 30-40 minutes, you need to allow an hour and a half to two hours, depending on the length of the queue.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 25
Ahh thanks for youre advice xx i will definetly be visiting the accom on saturday
Reply 26
Guys help, I might be applying to Manchester for my 5th choice but I am not sure (thinking about Nottingham and Leeds too)..
Why are you guys choosing Manchester?! (I'm wanting to study psychology btw :smile:)
Reply 27
Original post by AbiHem
Guys help, I might be applying to Manchester for my 5th choice but I am not sure (thinking about Nottingham and Leeds too)..
Why are you guys choosing Manchester?! (I'm wanting to study psychology btw :smile:)

Im choosin manchester as it is closer to home as well as it being a great uni for law - it has some really high career prospects for UG law graduates in London with links to many law firms, some being magic circle too :-)
Reply 28
I'm applying for maths and physics (4 years)
Reply 29
I am applying for Mathematics with Finance! Need A*AA - AAA, predicted A*A*A plus have A-Level Russian grade A
So how did people find the open day yesterday?
So how did people find the open day yesterday?

Absolutely loved the uni and the department for my subject, but hated the area.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by x-Sophie-x
Absolutely loved the uni and the department for my subject, but hated the area.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I'm glad you liked the uni and department, but what was wrong with the area?
I'm glad you liked the uni and department, but what was wrong with the area?

Its just not to my tastes I guess.
What did you think?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Its just not to my tastes I guess.
What did you think?

Posted from TSR Mobile

I'm in my third year here, and I like the area - there's a strong likelihood that I'll stay here after graduation. Granted it rather lacks rural tranquility, and a beach, but apart from that it's got everything really.
Reply 35
am wondering who is applying for a Msc petroleum geoscience at UoM, am i alone??:frown:
I'm in my third year here, and I like the area - there's a strong likelihood that I'll stay here after graduation. Granted it rather lacks rural tranquility, and a beach, but apart from that it's got everything really.

Oh right- third year, wow!
It's very different from where I live so I think it's going to take quite some getting used to the busy atmosphere!
What course are you doing? :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Oh right- third year, wow!
It's very different from where I live so I think it's going to take quite some getting used to the busy atmosphere!
What course are you doing? :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Uni is always a big change, and it always takes a lot of getting used to. I just want to check that you aren't passing over a university and course that you would like because of an impression that you had of the city that wasn't actually true :wink: If you genuinely want a smaller town then that's fine (I rejected Loughborough because it looked too small to my mind, so it works both ways) - it's all about making the right decision for you :yes:

I'm doing politics :h:
Applying for Petroleum Engineering! Always wanted to go here
Uni is always a big change, and it always takes a lot of getting used to. I just want to check that you aren't passing over a university and course that you would like because of an impression that you had of the city that wasn't actually true :wink: If you genuinely want a smaller town then that's fine (I rejected Loughborough because it looked too small to my mind, so it works both ways) - it's all about making the right decision for you :yes:

I'm doing politics :h:

I looked at Bath and absolutely loved the city however the campus just wasn't lively enough.
Whereas I loved the University of Manchester area, but wasn't quite as thrilled by the general area. I'm not passing over a university due to this though- I'm definitely applying, and at the moment it looks like it will be my first choice if I'm accepted :biggrin:

Awesome :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending