The Student Room Group

Oxford or Cambridge for Physics/Natural Science??

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by Collosopede
I'd say don't drop chem if you're leaning towards natsci. Cambridge definitely prefer 3 sciences/maths. You'd need to drop economics. They take your UMS across the three most relevant subjects anyway.

yeah they'll take my UMS across chem physics and maths which is fine with me. I did drop chemistry in the end because frankly i just didnt enjoy it and cambridge is not the be all end all for me, if im good enough to get in, i will, and if not then ill live! thank you for your help anyway, im applying for pure physics elsewhere so I should be fine overall!
Reply 21
Original post by evadommy
thank you! :biggrin: I'm doing FP1 M1 D1 for AS and FP2 M2 S3 for A2 Further Maths, it's some pretty odd combination! Well yeah I should check it out! :smile: That's what I thought so too. at least you know what to expect from your chosen college! :smile: I'm also going to the open day again this Saturday for some last minute questions haha!

haha yeah that is a bit odd, im sure you'll ace them though :smile: out of curiosity, how come no FP3? oh im sure that will be pretty useful! because im slightly out of the way of that (i live overseas) i would be very thankful if you let me know if you find out anything interesting/general thoughts on the place and university :biggrin:
Reply 22
Apply to Oxford.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Jozden
yeah they'll take my UMS across chem physics and maths which is fine with me. I did drop chemistry in the end because frankly i just didnt enjoy it and cambridge is not the be all end all for me, if im good enough to get in, i will, and if not then ill live! thank you for your help anyway, im applying for pure physics elsewhere so I should be fine overall!

Good for you. Sounds like the perfect attitude. Good luck!
Reply 24
Hi to everyone! I am an Italian student and I'm attending the last year of high school. I'd like to apply for the Oxford's course of physics, even if I'm a bit in a hurry with the application process! I've just discovered that it is needed the PAT test. Do you know how can I prepare myself for it? I must do it on 6th November if I understood correctly, but how can I register for it?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 25
Original post by Jozden
haha yeah that is a bit odd, im sure you'll ace them though :smile: out of curiosity, how come no FP3? oh im sure that will be pretty useful! because im slightly out of the way of that (i live overseas) i would be very thankful if you let me know if you find out anything interesting/general thoughts on the place and university :biggrin:

Those are the modules that the college picked for the whole class, I'm not sure why either haha! And the fact that I'm doing both AS and A2 further maths in a year, I'm not sure if FP3 would be too much.
General thoughts hmm, it's like a really dream-ish place. Each college has their own grounds, and I mean like really enormous fields! I didn't get the chance to visit mane colleges but they are pretty much the same. The only difference is what happens inside the college which I didn't really have any access to it haha :biggrin: I went to a lecture at Cavendish laboratory (quite far from town!) and the quality of their teaching is remarkable, after all it's cambridge!
If you don't mind, which country are you in? :smile:
Reply 26
Original post by Susanna.A
Hi to everyone! I am an Italian student and I'm attending the last year of high school. I'd like to apply for the Oxford's course of physics, even if I'm a bit in a hurry with the application process! I've just discovered that it is needed the PAT test. Do you know how can I prepare myself for it? I must do it on 6th November if I understood correctly, but how can I register for it?

Posted from TSR Mobile

You can download the past papers from Oxford physics department website. Unfortunately, there are no mark schemes available :frown: so the best thing is to do the papers then ask you teachers to mark them for you.
You can also practise questions from Physics Olympiad Papers or Senior Maths Challenges. :smile:
Since you're at high school, let them know that you want to sit for PAT test and your high school should register as a centre for you to sit for the test, which means you sit for the test in your school and not at Oxford. Regarding this matter, it's best to ask your high school about it :smile: Good luck with that!
Reply 27
Those are the modules that the college picked for the whole class, I'm not sure why either haha! And the fact that I'm doing both AS and A2 further maths in a year, I'm not sure if FP3 would be too much.
General thoughts hmm, it's like a really dream-ish place. Each college has their own grounds, and I mean like really enormous fields! I didn't get the chance to visit mane colleges but they are pretty much the same. The only difference is what happens inside the college which I didn't really have any access to it haha :biggrin: I went to a lecture at Cavendish laboratory (quite far from town!) and the quality of their teaching is remarkable, after all it's cambridge!
If you don't mind, which country are you in? :smile:

ohh right fair enough! and yea not gonna lie i was a bit concerned about doing FP3 at the same time as C4 so i get you! and aww that does sound pretty amazing, im very jealous i couldnt visit myself but glad you enjoyed it! what was the lecture on? and i live in dubai (in the UAE), how about yourself?
Reply 28
Original post by Jozden
ohh right fair enough! and yea not gonna lie i was a bit concerned about doing FP3 at the same time as C4 so i get you! and aww that does sound pretty amazing, im very jealous i couldnt visit myself but glad you enjoyed it! what was the lecture on? and i live in dubai (in the UAE), how about yourself?

And since the January exams were scrapped, it'll be hard to sit for all modules at one time! Awww don't be! Just best of luck that you'll be accepted!!! :biggrin:
it was on some physics force components. I live in UK, but went to secondary school in Malaysia :smile:
Reply 29
And since the January exams were scrapped, it'll be hard to sit for all modules at one time! Awww don't be! Just best of luck that you'll be accepted!!! :biggrin:
it was on some physics force components. I live in UK, but went to secondary school in Malaysia :smile:

best of luck to yourself too! how is your application going? ohhh right thats cool :smile: whereabouts in the uk do you live?
Reply 30
Original post by Jozden
best of luck to yourself too! how is your application going? ohhh right thats cool :smile: whereabouts in the uk do you live?

I've sent off my ucas yesterday! *fingers crossed*
I live in London :smile:
Reply 31
I've sent off my ucas yesterday! *fingers crossed*
I live in London :smile:

where else did you apply? oh right awesome :smile: whereabouts? i grew up in London, around stanmore/northwood if you've heard of it!
Reply 32
Original post by Jozden
where else did you apply? oh right awesome :smile: whereabouts? i grew up in London, around stanmore/northwood if you've heard of it!

UCL, Imperial, King's, QueenMary. How bout you? :smile:
Nooooo wayyyyyyy, not only I heard of it, I study at Stanmore College now!!! Wow cool! :biggrin:
Reply 33
UCL, Imperial, King's, QueenMary. How bout you? :smile:
Nooooo wayyyyyyy, not only I heard of it, I study at Stanmore College now!!! Wow cool! :biggrin:

Imperial, UCL, Bristol and St.Andrews so pretty close! :smile: and whaaat hahah that is such a massive coincidence! whenever i mention Stanmore people usually look at me blankly so its nice to finally see someone else has actually lived there!
Reply 34
Original post by Jozden
Imperial, UCL, Bristol and St.Andrews so pretty close! :smile: and whaaat hahah that is such a massive coincidence! whenever i mention Stanmore people usually look at me blankly so its nice to finally see someone else has actually lived there!

We have 3 similar ones!
And whoaaaa!! Haha I only study there but I live at North West :smile: I know right!!!! I have to tell them "..you know err the last stop on Jubilee line..?" :biggrin:
Original post by Jozden

you should drop eco cause noone in your class likes you
Reply 36
Original post by kweonsanity
you should drop eco cause noone in your class likes you

go revise for your SAT's ha america gaaaaay

Quick Reply