The Student Room Group

2014 Medicine Re-Applicants

Scroll to see replies

Hey guys how do I put resits on ucas form. Got achieved a levels of A*A*BB so resitting Chem and maths in my gap year. Thanks in advance for the help.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by 1357
why would you need extenuating circumstances to apply to Cardiff?

Because im a resit applicant and they only acceot resit applicants with exentusting circumstances if im right
Reply 2142
Original post by kashc94
Hey guys how do I put resits on ucas form. Got achieved a levels of A*A*BB so resitting Chem and maths in my gap year. Thanks in advance for the help.

Posted from TSR Mobile

put them in once as with the grades achieved and then again but with pending grades )
Hey can anyone help me? My A levels are A*AA (Bio,chem and maths respectively) and an additional A at AS level (Irish). So in my UCAS application should I only put in that one AS (Irish) or should I list all four AS results I got at the time (AAAB in bio,chem,irish and maths respectively). Its just I repeated a few of my maths modules to get my Maths up to an A at a level. Hope this makes sense! lol :tongue:
Hello there, I am an overseas student. Wishing to do medicine degree here. I have done access to medicine course with distinctions in all modules. I had applied twice in the last two years but could not get any place even I had two interviews at Liverpool and Cardiff medical schools. My ukcat score was 480 and 510 respectively.

This is my third try and this time my score is 587. Highest is 810 in DA with lowest 400 in VR. Any advice where should I apply? Thanks in advance :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by tdx
put them in once as with the grades achieved and then again but with pending grades )

Do I need to add the exam centre again and then add the subjects as pending? And is there anywhere on the ucas form where u can show that u applied the previous year so u can use most of ur old personal statement? Thanks
Reply 2146
Original post by kashc94
Do I need to add the exam centre again and then add the subjects as pending? And is there anywhere on the ucas form where u can show that u applied the previous year so u can use most of ur old personal statement? Thanks

No, you do not need to enter the centre again, just add another a-level under the same centre :smile: I'm not sure about showing you applied previously, however I'm also unsure how that would enable you to 'make the most of your old personal statement'? what are you getting at here? .. you are perfectly entitled to use your old statement again! also if you apply to the same uni again, they will almost certainly know you applied last year and other uni's will be able to guess pretty accurately if you have previously applied for medicine or not!
Hi! Just completed my UKCAT this morning - Pretty bittersweet score tbh :ashamed2:
VR 540
QR 540
AR 770
DA 810
SJ Band 1
Average: 665
Wasn't really expecting above 650 if i'm honest, with the lack of preparation (also has some issues at home).
Achieved a levels grades: AAA in Bio, Chem, Maths and A in AS Economics, B in AS Critical Thinking.
GCSE's: 5A*'s, 3A's, 1B.

Other: 1 week GP Surgery, 2 weeks hospital placement, was coaching rep, Student Health Ambassador at & Head of Events on the Student Executive board in college, worked in retail store part time, currently a volunteer as West Midlands Fire Station, I plan on working for most my Gap year. Also attended a Medicine career event at Keele Uni in year 12.

I'm supposed to pick my choices by tomorrow, and send to college.
Honestly guys, what prospects do I have for medicine, at which unis? I'm seeing too much conflicting information, getting more and more confused :confused::confused:
Reply 2148
Original post by xXxAthenaxXx
Hi! Just completed my UKCAT this morning - Pretty bittersweet score tbh :ashamed2:
VR 540
QR 540
AR 770
DA 810
SJ Band 1
Wasn't really expecting above 650 if i'm honest, with the lack of preparation (also has some issues at home).
Achieved a levels grades: AAA in Bio, Chem, Maths and A in AS Economics, B in AS Critical Thinking.

Other: 1 week GP Surgery, 2 weeks hospital placement, was coaching rep, Student Health Ambassador at & Head of Events on the Student Executive board in college, worked in retail store part time, currently a volunteer as West Midlands Fire Station, I plan on working for most my Gap year. Also attended a Medicine career event at Keele Uni in year 12.

Honestly guys, what prospects do I have for medicine, at which unis? I'm seeing too much conflicting information, getting more and more confused :confused::confused:

That's a good score which will be suffiecient for you to gain a place studying medicine (so long as you perform well in your ps, reference and interview). I'd say you stand a good chance at Exeter, UEA, BSMS and Plymouth among others! Give this a look through: http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki/Applying_to_Medical_School_using_your_Strengths
Reply 2149
Can anyone help? reeeally tied between Bristol and Liverpool and not sure which uni I'd have a better chance of an interview at.

stats:
9A*s 2As at GCSE
A*A*A achieved A2s in biology psychology and chemistry
UKCAT average 593 band 1 SJ
apparantly quite a strong PS as I'm working full time in an acute stroke ward as a physio assistant for my gap year.
other 3 choices are Cardiff, Brighton and Lancastar.

Any advice?!
Original post by xXxAthenaxXx
VR 540
QR 540
AR 770
DA 810
SJ Band 1

You could give Leeds a shot and Sheffield if you feel confident with your personal statement! :smile: Following this you can try UCL/Imperial if you feel up for the BMAT, but if you say you have troubles at home and they are ongoing then it might be difficult to prepare well for it! Hope it gets better (I can relate I have some troubles at home too) :redface:
Original post by 1357
Can anyone help? reeeally tied between Bristol and Liverpool and not sure which uni I'd have a better chance of an interview at.

stats:
9A*s 2As at GCSE
A*A*A achieved A2s in biology psychology and chemistry
UKCAT average 593 band 1 SJ
apparantly quite a strong PS as I'm working full time in an acute stroke ward as a physio assistant for my gap year.
other 3 choices are Cardiff, Brighton and Lancastar.

Any advice?!

Liverpool, Leeds, Sheffield, UCL/Imperial, St. Georges depeding on sub section UKCAT scores. Birmingham some more when I think of them !
Original post by raveen789
Liverpool, Leeds, Sheffield, UCL/Imperial, St. Georges depeding on sub section UKCAT scores. Birmingham some more when I think of them !

I wouldn't go Leeds, they use UKCAT quite a bit from what I've heard.
St George's cut off was 630ish last year as Sheffield wants 650+.

So just BMAT unis or Liverpool.
Original post by tdx
That's a good score which will be suffiecient for you to gain a place studying medicine (so long as you perform well in your ps, reference and interview). I'd say you stand a good chance at Exeter, UEA, BSMS and Plymouth among others! Give this a look through: http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki/Applying_to_Medical_School_using_your_Strengths

Thanks, I hadn't seen that thread! :smile:
I just looked at the Uni of Manchester website, they have a postcode checker, & apparantly my postcode raises a "contextual flag" for being in an disadvantaged area/area of low progression to university, also I think my GCSE school raises another ( I can't check it) But I have not volunteered within a "caring" role (Snort of disdain, not for lack of trying, I tell you!) - This is really bogging my PS down ERRRRGHH:angry:

*calm down* Breathe in... Breathe out... Any help feedback would be appreciated, ThanksPleaseThankYou :smile:
Original post by Pastaferian
Thanks for the heads-up - I've amended my earlier post. However, the info I posted seems consistent with what I found on their website just now, on page 3 of this possibly out-of-date PDF. The fact that the document was produced in Nov 2012 suggests it could be out-of-date, but the fact that it is still linked from their website suggests the opposite. Can you give a link to the place you found your info, so I can update the wiki? - if they've got out-of-date info on their website, I'll alert them.

http://www.mms.manchester.ac.uk/undergraduate/applicationprocess/applyingstepbystep

Here it is. it was updated september 2013.
Reply 2155
am i good enough for medicine?

gcse 4a* 6a's 1b (one a grade in additional maths)
a-level predictions A*AAB
UKCAT 690 (vb 590, qr 650 ar 620 da 900 sj band 2)
VERY GOOD PERSONAL STATEMENT

I AM STILL DOING 4 A-levels. I haven't dropped any.
(edited 10 years ago)

Oh **** they have changed their PS criteria :frown: Im not sure if I have included everything!! why Manchester :frown:

How do you demonstrate
Determination
Conscientiousness
Intellectual potential

Oh it also says - We are also interested in:

Does that mean you don't have to include absolutely everything in your PS?
(edited 10 years ago)
Does anyone know how Leeds use UKCAT in their application process? On their website they say they don't have a cutoff. Does anyone know how the GCSE grades, A-Level grades, PS and the Ukcat weighs in their application procedure?
Does anyone know what 'cashing in' mean?
Original post by raveen789
Oh **** they have changed their PS criteria :frown: Im not sure if I have included everything!! why Manchester :frown:

How do you demonstrate
Determination
Conscientiousness
Intellectual potential

Oh it also says - We are also interested in:

Does that mean you don't have to include absolutely everything in your PS?

I guess so, we don't have to include it all but they are interested if we have it.

Quick Reply

Latest