The Student Room Group

Anyone have any AS or A2 philosophy and ethics revision advice or tips?

Retaking my AS philsophy and ethics exam was getting As and Bs in lessons then in the exam i get s frickin D! Trying to revise AS and A2 at the same time HELP! Would really appreciate some little tips etc thankss!

Scroll to see replies

Hi there,

While you're waiting for an answer, did you know we have 300,000 study resources that could answer your question in TSR's Learn together section?

We have everything from Teacher Marked Essays to Mindmaps and Quizzes to help you with your work. Take a look around.

If you're stuck on how to get started, try creating some resources. It's free to do and can help breakdown tough topics into manageable chunks. Get creating now.

Thanks!

Not sure what all of this is about? Head here to find out more.
Omg TELL ME ABOUT IT! I was writing C Ethic essays, and got a U in the bloody exam! I was screwing! (But did come out of the exam knowing I messed up on Ethics) :/ However, luckily for me, I don't need to revise for Philosophy since I got an A (98/100 UMS) so it's all good.

What I would say is just revise AS first and then revise A2 stuff? That's what I'm doing. I think what is going to make it easier for me is to to make revision notes and etc waaaaay before the exam. Which I did last year, but I revised two weeks before the exam (well revised 2 weeks on Philosophy and 4 days of Ethics, hence why I got a U loooool).

On a serious note, I think it depends on what suits your style and how much time you need to give yourself refresh your memory of AS stuff. Since AS will be about 2/3 weeks before A2, you should have lots of time to revise. But personally since it's easier to get higher grades at AS, I say go all out on AS and obviously go all out for A2, but like focus more on your essay structure as that's where the marks come in a lot more.

I feel your pain! But if you got a D, you obviously are doing something right. I think revise is small sections instead of like everything today. Like for example, take a whole week to revise one topic and then when it comes to the end of that week test yourself on what went well and then you'll know the stuff you are not doing so well and revise that more. That's what I did.

I hate Ethics though, that's the problem! I really do hate Ethics....
Reply 3
what exam board ? i did edexcel and i had A grade for my alevels
Reply 4
Original post by Cool_JordH
Omg TELL ME ABOUT IT! I was writing C Ethic essays, and got a U in the bloody exam! I was screwing! (But did come out of the exam knowing I messed up on Ethics) :/ However, luckily for me, I don't need to revise for Philosophy since I got an A (98/100 UMS) so it's all good.

What I would say is just revise AS first and then revise A2 stuff? That's what I'm doing. I think what is going to make it easier for me is to to make revision notes and etc waaaaay before the exam. Which I did last year, but I revised two weeks before the exam (well revised 2 weeks on Philosophy and 4 days of Ethics, hence why I got a U loooool).

On a serious note, I think it depends on what suits your style and how much time you need to give yourself refresh your memory of AS stuff. Since AS will be about 2/3 weeks before A2, you should have lots of time to revise. But personally since it's easier to get higher grades at AS, I say go all out on AS and obviously go all out for A2, but like focus more on your essay structure as that's where the marks come in a lot more.

I feel your pain! But if you got a D, you obviously are doing something right. I think revise is small sections instead of like everything today. Like for example, take a whole week to revise one topic and then when it comes to the end of that week test yourself on what went well and then you'll know the stuff you are not doing so well and revise that more. That's what I did.

I hate Ethics though, that's the problem! I really do hate Ethics....

woaahh an A in philosophy! i find ethics soooooo much easier! yeaa my teacher said that he doesnt think its my knowledge its my writing style or something. my ethics teacher is helping me loads but my philosophy teacher hasnt even said a word to me about what happened! gonna have to teach myself i think:L if you need any help with the ethics side i could definitely help though :smile: what exam board was your exam btw?
Reply 5
Original post by moko
what exam board ? i did edexcel and i had A grade for my alevels

OCR exam board /: i was really annoyed me and this other girl were top of the class and everyone who didn't put in any effort whatsoever passed! my teachers were so surprised they've sent for my paper back to see if it really is a D grade.
I found it helpful to learn the content first by making notes, condensing that down to a mind map and then down to flash cards where I'd have a term or concept on one side and only the key words around it. Using lots of colour helped me to memorise the content as well. I'd say I spent a good month or two practising essay questions(all possible types) and then giving it to my teacher to mark. Hope this helps, best of luck! :smile:
Reply 7
Original post by Starrstruck
I found it helpful to learn the content first by making notes, condensing that down to a mind map and then down to flash cards where I'd have a term or concept on one side and only the key words around it. Using lots of colour helped me to memorise the content as well. I'd say I spent a good month or two practising essay questions(all possible types) and then giving it to my teacher to mark. Hope this helps, best of luck! :smile:

yess mind maps are always useful, when it gets closer to January my teacher is going to give me an essay every week up until the exam so hopefully there wont be any disasters on results day this year! thankss!
Original post by Dominiquee06
yess mind maps are always useful, when it gets closer to January my teacher is going to give me an essay every week up until the exam so hopefully there wont be any disasters on results day this year! thankss!

You're welcome, good luck with the exams! :smile:
Reply 9
OCR exam board /: i was really annoyed me and this other girl were top of the class and everyone who didn't put in any effort whatsoever passed! my teachers were so surprised they've sent for my paper back to see if it really is a D grade.

oh i did edexcel but the key to getting great marks is making mind maps.
make sure you wrie essays dont wait for your teacher to set them. make your own time find exam papers and do them! just keep on writing them damn essays. it will get stucked in your head !
woaahh an A in philosophy! i find ethics soooooo much easier! yeaa my teacher said that he doesnt think its my knowledge its my writing style or something. my ethics teacher is helping me loads but my philosophy teacher hasnt even said a word to me about what happened! gonna have to teach myself i think:L if you need any help with the ethics side i could definitely help though :smile: what exam board was your exam btw?

I knoow! I never saw it coming to be honest! And oh dear! Well just ask someone else perhaps if you're unsure of something? And I'm with OCR aha
Hey, I guess I can help.
I got an A in both Philosophy and Ethics. 100 on Ethics, 87 on Philosophy. OCR. I was getting B's and C's in lesson.

I started revising 4 months before exams. 6 hours a day with breaks. Made notes on get revising. Looked at some exam papers, put opinions of ethicsts in exams etc.
Reply 12
I REALLY want an A but im not sure what i need to do to acheive that, is it detail, extra knowlege, writing style? Say you had a part A that said "explain what Kant meant by the summum bonum" how would you go about answering it? its questions like this i find difficult whereas if it was a question like "explain natural law theory" it would be my dream question!
I REALLY want an A but im not sure what i need to do to acheive that, is it detail, extra knowlege, writing style? Say you had a part A that said "explain what Kant meant by the summum bonum" how would you go about answering it? its questions like this i find difficult whereas if it was a question like "explain natural law theory" it would be my dream question!

I don't know to be honest, that's an Ethics question and I know nothing about Ethics lool! Yeah, last year was like 'explain Descartes (And someone else, I think it was Aquinas) theory of problem of evil' or something like that....

If it's exam technique you're struggling with, ask a teacher?
Reply 14
Original post by Cool_JordH
I don't know to be honest, that's an Ethics question and I know nothing about Ethics lool! Yeah, last year was like 'explain Descartes (And someone else, I think it was Aquinas) theory of problem of evil' or something like that....

If it's exam technique you're struggling with, ask a teacher?

I know! I spent ages revising Anselms Ontological Argument thinking naahh they wont put a whole question on descartes... got into the exam and thought f*** :L xx i think the other question was on Irenaus.. (i cant spell) and the same happened again cause i knew Augustines Theodicy really well! But Yeaa i think im just gonna have to practice loads xx
Reply 15
Hey,
I personally typed up all my notes in ethics to consolidate my knowledge, and for philosophy did mind-maps stuck them on my wall. I also learnt all the philosophy basic arguments off by heart.
The questions I answered in the exam were:
'Explain what is meant by Intelligent Design'
'Explain the theodicies of Augustine and Irenaeus'
'Explain, with examples, the importance Kant placed upon doing one's duty'
'Explain the main principles of the classical forms of Utilitarianism'
(just including these because my teacher always says question choice is extremely important. However she also said the Kant question was awful and no one doing it would have passed, so clearly not always so important)

Hope that helps a little bit, also if anyone wants my ethics notes from AS I can send some.
Original post by frisths
Hey,
I personally typed up all my notes in ethics to consolidate my knowledge, and for philosophy did mind-maps stuck them on my wall. I also learnt all the philosophy basic arguments off by heart.
The questions I answered in the exam were:
'Explain what is meant by Intelligent Design'
'Explain the theodicies of Augustine and Irenaeus'
'Explain, with examples, the importance Kant placed upon doing one's duty'
'Explain the main principles of the classical forms of Utilitarianism'
(just including these because my teacher always says question choice is extremely important. However she also said the Kant question was awful and no one doing it would have passed, so clearly not always so important)

Hope that helps a little bit, also if anyone wants my ethics notes from AS I can send some.

Would it be possible if you could send me your ethics notes from AS? :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 17
Original post by iCamification
Would it be possible if you could send me your ethics notes from AS? :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeah, that will be fine. Can you message me with somewhere to send them and I'll get that done ASAP :smile:
Reply 18
Does anyone have any notes/tips/words of wisdom to share regarding OCR philosophy of religion and religious ethics for A2 Level?
Hello fellow Philosophers and Ethicists! Ha ha

How many lessons or classroom hours would you say took or has taken you to cover, say, Situation Ethics? Or Philosophy and Psychology?

:-D

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending