The Student Room Group

Economics applicant thread UCAS 2014

Scroll to see replies

Original post by NedStark

My GCSEs are good, in my opinion they are but I don't think they are up to LSE standards.

What are LSE GCSEs standards? (I do have no idea, I haven't done GCSEs myself so I don't know how many A* is good enough).
Original post by purplemind
What are LSE GCSEs standards? (I do have no idea, I haven't done GCSEs myself so I don't know how many A* is good enough).

It's really hard to say, I'm guessing anything below straight A* puts you at a disadvantage since there will be those who apply with all A*. That's not to say you can't get an offer with below, I'm certainly hoping that since I'm applying there. But you'd want a nice majority A* so around 70% possibly.
It's really hard to say, I'm guessing anything below straight A* puts you at a disadvantage since there will be those who apply with all A*. That's not to say you can't get an offer with below, I'm certainly hoping that since I'm applying there. But you'd want a nice majority A* so around 70% possibly.

But A* at GCSE, for me, seems not to tell much about intelligence or ability. Many people in my school had 7-9 A* and some don't seem to be too clever in Maths or other subjects they got A* in.
But A* at GCSE, for me, seems not to tell much about intelligence or ability. Many people in my school had 7-9 A* and some don't seem to be too clever in Maths or other subjects they got A* in.

Shows how flawed the education system is, all people do is learn the "techniques" instead of the actual maths so when it gets tough they don't know what to do. The only subjects that give a true representation of your grade I'd say are essay based ones.
Reply 1224

They're important but LSE admission staff seem to be smart enough to realise they aren't everything, so if you're a good applicant chances are they'll make you an offer

Posted from TSR Mobile
I've got my epq presentation next Wednesday so I'm preparing for it at the moment. Does anyone who's already done it have any tips on what/what not to include?

Posted from TSR Mobile

That's why I think most Universities should look at GCSEs compared to the cohort of there year. Obviously there should be more to it than that, because at GCSE you generally do better if your school is good.

You said you went to a private school? It's probably quite a good one considering lots had 7-9A*. It's either great, teaching or the students generally work harder. Highest in my year was 8A* and that's 1 person in 300-ish. The top students are on 2A* or 3A*.

Just a question, did you have people in your school consistently getting around C or D grades at GCSE? (Just curious if you have less able students at private schools)
That's why I think most Universities should look at GCSEs compared to the cohort of there year. Obviously there should be more to it than that, because at GCSE you generally do better if your school is good.

You said you went to a private school? It's probably quite a good one considering lots had 7-9A*. It's either great, teaching or the students generally work harder. Highest in my year was 8A* and that's 1 person in 300-ish. The top students are on 2A* or 3A*.

Just a question, did you have people in your school consistently getting around C or D grades at GCSE? (Just curious if you have less able students at private schools)

And from what I've heard, you can cram a few days before an exam and get a good grade. That doesn't really reflect the work during those 2-3 years.

On the website, it is written, that "67% of GCSE candidates achieved A*-A grades. An impressive 41% of all the students sitting the exams achieved nine A*-A grades or more". It actually doesn't say how many of those got over 50% of A* and I'm not that interested in GSCE results. :smile:

The website also says that 98% of GCSE grades were A*-C. (There were 9Ds and 1 E).

I myself I'm not concerned about GCSEs as I sat an equivalent but that was just 3 exams at the end of 3 years of my middle school education - humanities (polish language and literature, history, social studies, a tiny bit of history of art), maths and science (maths, biology, chemistry, physics, geography) and english language. :smile:
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by Bloxorus
I've got my epq presentation next Wednesday so I'm preparing for it at the moment. Does anyone who's already done it have any tips on what/what not to include?

Posted from TSR Mobile

definitely include details about the process of the EPQ. so mention what difficulties you faced , any changes you had to make - also mention the reasoning for your choice to study the topic you did. Mention if you want the different ways you used to research the topic ( and perhaps add some detail about the research process itself - however i didn't do this )

then obviously talk about your actual project itself , remember to actually have an introduction to lead you into it and a conclusion to round it off. Speak clearly and coherently. If possible try and get some visual aids into it ( Diagrams/charts etc ) however that really does depend on what your project is.

One tip is instead of using Powerpoint use a website online called Prezi , tends to be more eyecandy for the audience and prevents the chance of them getting bored halfway through - however it's quite weird to work out how to use , and you'll need like 30+ slides ( that's not an exaggeration haha :tongue: ) cos of how small each slide is.

Hopefully that helps , i had my presentation this past week and i think it went quite well but who knows :tongue:

OH YEAH , be prepared for the questions at the end. Thankfully i didn't get caught out by any , but master yourself in the art of sneakily dodging questions and bull****ting your way out , works SO well.
Original post by Fas
definitely include details about the process of the EPQ. so mention what difficulties you faced , any changes you had to make - also mention the reasoning for your choice to study the topic you did. Mention if you want the different ways you used to research the topic ( and perhaps add some detail about the research process itself - however i didn't do this )

then obviously talk about your actual project itself , remember to actually have an introduction to lead you into it and a conclusion to round it off. Speak clearly and coherently. If possible try and get some visual aids into it ( Diagrams/charts etc ) however that really does depend on what your project is.

One tip is instead of using Powerpoint use a website online called Prezi , tends to be more eyecandy for the audience and prevents the chance of them getting bored halfway through - however it's quite weird to work out how to use , and you'll need like 30+ slides ( that's not an exaggeration haha :tongue: ) cos of how small each slide is.

Hopefully that helps , i had my presentation this past week and i think it went quite well but who knows :tongue:

OH YEAH , be prepared for the questions at the end. Thankfully i didn't get caught out by any , but master yourself in the art of sneakily dodging questions and bull****ting your way out , works SO well.

Thanks a lot for the reply! I am actually using Prezi so I know how much better it is than Powerpoint. Thanks for the tips about the actual process of the EPQ, i'll be sure to add some bits about that! :biggrin:
Anyone gotten any offers yet?
Reply 1231
Original post by Dilzo999
Anyone gotten any offers yet?

Sent my application off today, hopefully I'll get at least one before Christmas to ease the tension a bit. I had a nightmare last night where I didn't get any offers, got kicked out of my house and had to go live in a homeless shelter :s-smilie:

I hate my nightmares
Original post by Giant
Sent my application off today, hopefully I'll get at least one before Christmas to ease the tension a bit. I had a nightmare last night where I didn't get any offers, got kicked out of my house and had to go live in a homeless shelter :s-smilie:

I hate my nightmares

I have the most weirdest dreams which doesn't relate to anything lol.Where did you apply to and with what grades? I'm pretty sure you'll at least get one offer.
Reply 1233
I have the most weirdest dreams which doesn't relate to anything lol.Where did you apply to and with what grades? I'm pretty sure you'll at least get one offer.

I went with the high risk options: Cambridge, LSE, Warwick, UCL and Bristol

12A*s at GCSE and A*AA in Year 12 (A* in A2 Maths, A in my two other AS subjects - doing full A2 FM in Year 13 and continuing my other ASs to A2)
Original post by Giant

12A*s at GCSE and A*AA in Year 12 (A* in A2 Maths, A in my two other AS subjects - doing full A2 FM in Year 13 and continuing my other ASs to A2)

I'm pretty sure you will get no offers. :colone:
Impressive!
Original post by Giant

Yeah you've got nothing to worry about :biggrin:.
Reply 1236
I'm pretty sure you will get no offers. :colone:
Impressive!

Yeah you've got nothing to worry about :biggrin:.

Thanks! I should be confident I guess, but I'm naturally someone who waits until things are confirmed until I celebrate

Anyway, how are your grades and where did you apply?
Original post by Giant
Thanks! I should be confident I guess, but I'm naturally someone who waits until things are confirmed until I celebrate

Anyway, how are your grades and where did you apply?

As I mentioned before, I don't have GSCEs. I took 3 exams at the end of middle school, getting 90% in Humanities, 100% in Maths & Science and 100% in English Language, we don't have grades system for external exams in Poland.
I got 6 As at A Level (one being my native language so doesn't really matter) and an A* in A2 (but again, that's just my native language). Now doing 4 subjects, got 4A* predicted. So well, I hope it will be fine.
Haven't sent my application since my turor wrote a rather crap reference (she is my tutor from this year so doesn't know me very well...) and I have to wait for her to write a better one. But I chose Cambridge (King's), LSE, UCL, Warwick and Bristol which are exactly same universities as you chose. Looks like it's going to be really competitive this year.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 1238
As I mentioned before, I don't have GSCEs. I took 3 exams at the end of middle school, getting 90% in Humanities, 100% in Maths & Science and 100% in English Language, we don't have grades system for external exams in Poland.
I got 6 As at A Level (one being my native language so doesn't really matter) and an A* in A2 (but again, that's just my native language). Now doing 4 subjects, got 4A* predicted. So well, I hope it will be fine.
Haven't sent my application since my turor wrote a rather crap reference (she is my tutor from this year so doesn't know me very well...) and I have to wait for her to write a better one. But I chose Cambridge (King's), LSE, UCL, Warwick and Bristol which are exactly same universities as you chose. Looks like it's going to be really competitive this year.

Those are amazing grades, well done! Exact same universities and exact same college at Cambridge :biggrin: It will be insanely competitive there this year, almost everyone I know in real life applying for Economics at Cambridge is going for King's (and quite a few people on TSR). It shouldn't matter too much about your reference, as long as your UMS are decent and your interview is good - you'll be fine!
Original post by Giant
Those are amazing grades, well done! Exact same universities and exact same college at Cambridge :biggrin: It will be insanely competitive there this year, almost everyone I know in real life applying for Economics at Cambridge is going for King's (and quite a few people on TSR). It shouldn't matter too much about your reference, as long as your UMS are decent and your interview is good - you'll be fine!

Thanks. I took the exam at the end of 2011 when I never even thought about studying in the UK and didn't care too much about results. :tongue:
Oh well, I don't mind beeing pooled. :colondollar: Still going to try because why not?
I know but they (Headmistress and Head of 6th Form) do care about it in my school and they want it to be as good as possible.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending