The Student Room Group

Medicine 2014 Applicants

Scroll to see replies

Original post by school1234
Isn't BSMS using bmat now?

only for graduates
Reply 761
Original post by Becca-Sarah
How about using his P60 from last April? That would show annual income over the past tax year, so a more accurate figure than a single months pay slip. I'd get in touch with Birmingham to check exactly what they want if I were you though.

Ok thanks :smile:
Hi! Just completed my UKCAT this morning - Pretty bittersweet score tbh :ashamed2:
VR 540
QR 540
AR 770
DA 810
SJ Band 1
Average: 665
Wasn't really expecting above 650 if i'm honest, with the lack of preparation (also has some issues at home).
Achieved a levels grades: AAA in Bio, Chem, Maths and A in AS Economics, B in AS Critical Thinking.
GCSE's: 5A*'s, 3A's, 1B.

Other: 1 week GP Surgery, 2 weeks hospital placement, was coaching rep, Student Health Ambassador at & Head of Events on the Student Executive board in college, worked in retail store part time, currently a volunteer as West Midlands Fire Station, I plan on working for most my Gap year. Also attended a Medicine career event at Keele Uni in year 12.

I'm supposed to pick my choices by tomorrow, and send to college.
Honestly guys, what prospects do I have for medicine, at which unis? I'm seeing too much conflicting information, getting more and more confused :confused::confused:
Reply 763
Hi, I am an international student. Wishing to do medicine degree here. I have done access to medicine course with distinctions in all modules. I had applied twice in the last two years but could not get any place even I had two interviews at Liverpool and Cardiff medical schools. My ukcat score was 480 and 510 respectively.

This is my third try and this time my score is 587. Highest is 810 in DA with lowest 400 in VR. Any advice where should I apply will be much appreciated. Thanks in advance :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 764
Original post by WannabeMedic123
Hellooo,

I am in need of some advice! Here are some stats:

GCSE: 9A* 1A
AS Results: AABB (Bio, Maths, Chem, Psychology)
A level Predictions: AAA

UKCAT:
VR: 580 :frown:
QR: 580 :frown:
AR: 650
DA: 900

Do you think I should apply this year (and where)?

Your UKCAT is fine!! Most, if not all schools only look at avg anyway, and your's is 677.5!! Just avoid Kings, Newcastle/Durham :smile:
I hate interviews because I am an introvert. I just get nervous and forget what I want to say in the tense situation. Am I not fit to be a doctor? But I really want to be one. If unis reject me, I'll be so gutted. :frown:
Original post by Adilnawaz
Hi, I am an international student. Wishing to do medicine degree here. I have done access to medicine course with distinctions in all modules. I had applied twice in the last two years but could not get any place even I had two interviews at Liverpool and Cardiff medical schools. My ukcat score was 480 and 510 respectively.

This is my third try and this time my score is 587. Highest is 810 in DA with lowest 400 in VR. Any advice where should I apply will be much appreciated. Thanks in advance :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Lol I thought my score of 470 in VR was the lowest. But bam, your's is even lower. Don't know whether I should be happy or sad. But I suggest you apply to unis that don't look at UKCAT or don't rely on it heavily - Bristol, Cardiff, Birmingham
Finally decided on my uni choices - Bristol, HYMS, Leicester, Southampton. That was such a tough decision. I have written my personal statement but it is so horrible, teachers say. I'm depressed because of this. What can I do if my English sucks?! >.< I hope I'll not be at disadvantage.
Original post by walkers38
I hate interviews because I am an introvert. I just get nervous and forget what I want to say in the tense situation. Am I not fit to be a doctor? But I really want to be one. If unis reject me, I'll be so gutted. :frown:

Just practice. Get teachers and friends and family to do mock interviews with you, so when you get to interview you know how to deal with most common questions so the only new thing is the person who's asking them.
Original post by CazzaBomBazza
Well I thought it went well, but it clearly didn't go as well as other people's as I didn't get an offer :colondollar:

Oh, Sorry. What sort of things did they ask ?
Reply 770

I was like this (like thought I'd be nervous in interview) but you just kinda get over it in the actual situation as the adrenaline takes over. I would take the other guy's advice too though.
Finally decided on my uni choices - Bristol, HYMS, Leicester, Southampton. That was such a tough decision. I have written my personal statement but it is so horrible, teachers say. I'm depressed because of this. What can I do if my English sucks?! >.< I hope I'll not be at disadvantage.

Why is it horrible? Did they give you feedback or just insult you?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 772
Standard Grades- 8 1's

Highers- AAAAA (English, Maths,
Chemistry, Biology and Physics)

(These are the top grades in Scotland, you do not got A* and 1=A in Standard Grade)

Advanced Highers- English, Chemistry and Biology (sitting in 2014, I'm in sixth year at the moment)

UKCAT- 715 average (2860 total)
SJT- Band 2 ( :frown: )

I hold a position of authority in my school (as well as Prefect), have volunteered in a care home for 18 months, volunteered in Africa, and carried out work experience in a hospital. I also have work experience coming up in November at a GP's as well as a night in A&E at an inner city hospital later this month. I was a Girl Guide for 11 years, and achieved the highest award (Baden Powell). I play piano, and I am participating in Silver DofE (having completed Bronze) and have had an interview to be a Commonwealth Games volunteer. I chair my school's Prom Committee. I have Basic First Aid Training. I also aid younger children with their science and literacy lessons for a few hours a week.

I'm applying for Aberdeen, Dundee, Edinburgh and Glasgow. Do you think I've got a decent chance?

P.S. I'm only really wanting to apply to Scottish unis.

Posted from TSR Mobile
I have applied this year but for 2015 (deffered) entry. Do I count? lol
Reply 774
Original post by paul.dirac121
Hey guys. Im starting medicine at keele this sept, and hold offers from both keele and liverpool. If anyone wants any advice on the grueling ucas process lol or any other related queries feel free to PM me. Cheers and good luck all.

Hey I am thinking of applying to Keele this year. What advice could you give re application and what is the interview like?? What are they looking for in their students?
Reply 775
Original post by CazzaBomBazza
I'm a reapplicant :smile:
GCSE's are 3a* 6a 2b , A-levels are AAAb in Chem, Bio, Physics and Maths AS. UKCAT average at 712.5, last year average at 665.
Pretty set on applying to HYMS, Bristol, Glasgow and UEA.
If anyone is interested, I had interviews at Keele and Aberdeen last year.
Good luck to everyone! :smile:

any advice on the applications and interviews for Keele and Aberdeen. Thinking of applying....what are they looking for
Just wondering are you able to read your reference on your ucas application?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by haylodge
any advice on the applications and interviews for Keele and Aberdeen. Thinking of applying....what are they looking for

Aberdeen will assess you on your UKCAT score and predicted A2 grades. The top 700 or so from that will get interviewed. The PS is screened to check that you're suitable but not being formally assessed prior to interview. Check out their website, it's really informative about what they're looking for!
Original post by BarryIsMyName
Just wondering are you able to read your reference on your ucas application?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Not through Track etc. You can request a copy of your reference from UCAS for a fee, but the simple option is just to ask whoever wrote it if you can see it.
Reply 779
What do Aberdeen assess Scottish students on and with what weighting?? Please help!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending