The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by ryanb97
Hehe... i goto a grammar ot a college ? ? --- you go QM ?

i know there is another guy from QM here....might be a few stalkers but non posters as well ...

Whats your name ( although i dont know everyones yet :colondollar: )

Ryan

Just realised you were actually doing A2 maths and u did your AS early
:colondollar:
Oh Well, it was close
Original post by techno-thriller
Just realised you were actually doing A2 maths and u did your AS early
:colondollar:
Oh Well, it was close

R u thinking of the other Ryan .. that did maths early ?
Original post by ryanb97
R u thinking of the other Ryan .. that did maths early ?

The on I'm think about is studying as maths

There's another Ryan here? Hmm
Original post by techno-thriller
The on I'm think about is studying as maths

There's another Ryan here? Hmm

Wait... you do go QM right ?
Original post by Pabblethefish
Maths, chemistry, physics and geography so similar to you :tongue:

Everything's going well (omg love chemistry) apart from maths, I just can't seem to grasp C1 which is frustrating but it's literally just a tiny step up from GCSE. I'm finding stats easy but soso boring. How are you finding your subjects?

I'm really liking mine, especially chemistry! :biggrin: At the moment I'm finding maths nice enough, but it's a long-standing habit of mine to understand the concept and then make a tiny mistake (like copying the wrong sign from one line of algebra to the next), so my entire answer just collapses. Yeah, I'm going to have to agree with you there, stats isn't the most exciting of modules...
Original post by sarahiscool
Yup physics is horrible atm and my only subject that I am struggling with, but I think that's just because of the massive leap from gcse that my other subjects don't initially have , most of my friends aren't finding it particularly easy don't worry about it ! It should get better with practise and will make more sense when we learn more stuff

Ah, that's good to know...I understand everything up to the equations of linear motion. Then we did Equilibrium and I got super confused with the triangle stuff...like I understand that we have to apply trig but it's the applying I'm struggling with. And then Density and Pressure...I understand the principle behind them, but floating objects cause my head to explode haha. We just covered Torque/Moments and I'm at that stage where I think I understand it, answer a question and then forget why I did that?!

Think I might have to get a tutor if it continues like this :rolleyes:
Maths, chemistry, physics and geography so similar to you :tongue:

Everything's going well (omg love chemistry) apart from maths, I just can't seem to grasp C1 which is frustrating but it's literally just a tiny step up from GCSE. I'm finding stats easy but soso boring. How are you finding your subjects?

Sorry to butt in but I was wondering if I could ask how you're finding Physics? I'm really struggling at the moment with applying some of the maths to the questions...like I understand the concepts but can't see how that fits into certain questions...just curious to see how others are finding it :smile:
Is anyone else having an unreasonable battle with AS Maths? I keep getting Es, I just don't get it :frown:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by ryanb97
Wait... you do go QM right ?

Nope
(edited 10 years ago)
I'm struggling with everything :frown: There's too much work to do, and I've got too little motivation to do it. I'm still in GCSE mode: do the compulsory stuff, skip everything else.

I need to get my shiz together. Quickly.
Original post by MollyMcFly1
Sorry to butt in but I was wondering if I could ask how you're finding Physics? I'm really struggling at the moment with applying some of the maths to the questions...like I understand the concepts but can't see how that fits into certain questions...just curious to see how others are finding it :smile:

Hmmmm I did AQA physics for GCSE and I'm doing AQA AS and the modules I'm doing at the moment* I pretty much understand the concepts because they were all in unit 3 physics but the maths is a lot more advanced than what I'm used to in physics and we have to apply things like advanced GCSE trigonometry to physics. I think it just takes practice really. I found myself flying through the lessons but when it came to recapping everything we've done this month, a few days ago, I was a bit lost. I'm enjoying it though, definitely enjoying it. We're doing forces in equilibrium at the moment so like moments, vectors etc. We're almost finished the 7th topic completely (but it's our first topic if you get me, we started on the 7th). But I'm also doing the 11th with another teacher because I have two teachers for physics - a bit confusing, I know :tongue:

*(we started at mechanics because apparently it's a lot more comprehensible than unit 1 which I am desperate to start, I love tiny things and all that jazz)
Original post by Georgiecat
I'm really liking mine, especially chemistry! :biggrin: At the moment I'm finding maths nice enough, but it's a long-standing habit of mine to understand the concept and then make a tiny mistake (like copying the wrong sign from one line of algebra to the next), so my entire answer just collapses. Yeah, I'm going to have to agree with you there, stats isn't the most exciting of modules...

Everybody's complaining about my stats teacher because he looks like he wants to end himself during the lessons :rolleyes: I don't really mind him, I'd still be bored regardless of who I have but I do a lot better in stats than I do in core so I'm not complaining
Ah, that's good to know...I understand everything up to the equations of linear motion. Then we did Equilibrium and I got super confused with the triangle stuff...like I understand that we have to apply trig but it's the applying I'm struggling with. And then Density and Pressure...I understand the principle behind them, but floating objects cause my head to explode haha. We just covered Torque/Moments and I'm at that stage where I think I understand it, answer a question and then forget why I did that?!

Think I might have to get a tutor if it continues like this :rolleyes:

The triangles are easy once you practice enough, I don't mean to undermine you if you have but have you heard of SOH CAH TOA? It helps with the force triangles so much if they're right angled (which they normally are). I'm finding the hardest bit when you have to work out the tension force when it's divided between to bits of string/rope/suspension pieces. I don't know if you do AQA physics or what but there's a bow and arrow question in the book on chapter 7.2 (maybe .3) and I understand it but I just can't apply it elsewhere.

(sorry for not multiquoting, I could but then I'm lazy)
The triangles are easy once you practice enough, I don't mean to undermine you if you have but have you heard of SOH CAH TOA? It helps with the force triangles so much if they're right angled (which they normally are). I'm finding the hardest bit when you have to work out the tension force when it's divided between to bits of string/rope/suspension pieces. I don't know if you do AQA physics or what but there's a bow and arrow question in the book on chapter 7.2 (maybe .3) and I understand it but I just can't apply it elsewhere.

(sorry for not multiquoting, I could but then I'm lazy)

I'm doing OCR but it seems like we're doing quite a few of the same things. We've covered equilibrium and most recently Torque/Moments etc. I really struggled with equilibrium...like I'm good with trig (and yes SOH CAH TOA is the best thing ever haha) but I struggle to see how to apply it to the questions. Guess it just takes practice...It's annoying though because I have 2 teachers, one is good at explaining stuff and the other is not so much, but the one that's good is on the other campus so I never get the chance to get any extra help from him. It's really a pain...
I'm doing OCR but it seems like we're doing quite a few of the same things. We've covered equilibrium and most recently Torque/Moments etc. I really struggled with equilibrium...like I'm good with trig (and yes SOH CAH TOA is the best thing ever haha) but I struggle to see how to apply it to the questions. Guess it just takes practice...It's annoying though because I have 2 teachers, one is good at explaining stuff and the other is not so much, but the one that's good is on the other campus so I never get the chance to get any extra help from him. It's really a pain...

I have the similar thing with teachers, one's amazing and I've had every year apart from one since year 7 and the other I don't think likes me and tends to go off on a tangent. The one I've had every year is so nice, she's really supportive and will literally just sit down next to me and explain it if I say I really don't understand which is really sweet :smile:
Everybody's complaining about my stats teacher because he looks like he wants to end himself during the lessons :rolleyes: I don't really mind him, I'd still be bored regardless of who I have but I do a lot better in stats than I do in core so I'm not complaining

Aha, oh dear. Fair enough - yeah, stats isn't hard per se, it's just I suppose it's so easy to tune out, and that's when you start making little mistakes.
Reply 5836
Yesterday was probably my worst day so far... Wasn't bad, but definitely not as good as every other day so far.

P1 I was free so I stayed in the common room with my mates talking about up coming gigs.

P2 I had Sociology. Did an essay.. That went alright I guess. Then we started some work on feminism. Teacher wanted us to tell a sexist joke, and then a racist joke... Never felt so tense in a lesson before. :rolleyes:

P3 I was free so I went to Sainsbury's to get my lunch because I spent most of lunch sitting in the common room throwing paper across the room trying to get it in the bin......... Should have done some work really.. Oh well.

P4 I had Maths and we were doing work on gradients or something like that and I just found it so hard and everything was going straight over my head so I sat there for the whole 90 minutes of the lesson and did no work whatsoever and felt like absolute ****. :tongue: I'm going to see my teacher on Monday to see if he can give me a hand with it, because I was pretty annoyed.
Original post by Lucas.
Yesterday was probably my worst day so far...

Chin up! I'm struggling with maths too, the MEI text book is so useless it has examples but they're more complicated than the questions!
Original post by Lucas.
Yesterday was probably my worst day so far... Wasn't bad, but definitely not as good as every other day so far.

P1 I was free so I stayed in the common room with my mates talking about up coming gigs.

P2 I had Sociology. Did an essay.. That went alright I guess. Then we started some work on feminism. Teacher wanted us to tell a sexist joke, and then a racist joke... Never felt so tense in a lesson before. :rolleyes:

P3 I was free so I went to Sainsbury's to get my lunch because I spent most of lunch sitting in the common room throwing paper across the room trying to get it in the bin......... Should have done some work really.. Oh well.

P4 I had Maths and we were doing work on gradients or something like that and I just found it so hard and everything was going straight over my head so I sat there for the whole 90 minutes of the lesson and did no work whatsoever and felt like absolute ****. :tongue: I'm going to see my teacher on Monday to see if he can give me a hand with it, because I was pretty annoyed.

Don't worry too much about the maths thing too much. It took me 2/3 lessons to get my head around gradients as well :tongue:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by LeFailFish
Nope :tongue: we just clearly both have an awesome taste in usernames :wink:

Considering the fact that you seem to be something of a legend on here, the fact that I hadn't heard of you still kind of surprises me :colondollar:

Ngl at first I thought you were him, and then when I realised he'd been banned for while I thought he'd made a different account to use :laugh:

Latest