The Student Room Group

How to write A2 Edexcel History Sources Coursework on own independent study??

Hi
I've just done the first draft of my coursework where you have to find your own sources and use your own knowledge to construct an argument.

I am doing:
Did the equal rights legislation passed in 1964 make a difference to the lives of Black Americans in the period 1964-98?
I am just unsure as to how to use the sources; Do you use them as a set like AS sources unit or differently??

I've integrated my own knowledge in with the sources but haven't used them explicitly as a set. Is that right or wrong??

If anyone could help me that would be great

Thanks

Scroll to see replies

I'm not sure what you mean by using them as a set, but I'm doing a very similar bit of work, so hopefully what I say can help. You have to analyse the sources and integrate your own knowledge , which it sounds like you have done. As well as this you should compare some of the sources like you would do on the exam, but obviously only some if the sources will be relevant to each other, so only do it when they are.

This is only what I did in mine, and since I handed my first craft in less than an hour ago, it's entirely possible that I'm wrong about how to approach it an just haven't found out yet. Maybe check the AOs and ask your teacher etc, just to make sure I'm not stalk ng rubbish!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2
Original post by Holly Berry
Hi
I've just done the first draft of my coursework where you have to find your own sources and use your own knowledge to construct an argument.

I am doing:
Did the equal rights legislation passed in 1964 make a difference to the lives of Black Americans in the period 1964-98?

I am just unsure as to how to use the sources; Do you use them as a set like AS sources unit or differently??

I've integrated my own knowledge in with the sources but haven't used them explicitly as a set. Is that right or wrong??

If anyone could help me that would be great

Thanks

I've done the A2 Edexcel coursework because I was entered for January. I ended up with full marks, 80/80 which I am really chuffed about! :biggrin: We did something different though, the topic was Britain's Empire and its African colonies and we chose our own questions and sources.

With the sources question it's a bit different to AS in the sense that not much of your own knowledge is actually needed and they care less about it. Definitely do include your own knowledge to support your argument and state facts where relevant as it demonstrates that you know what you're talking about. So I'd say what you're doing at the moment is correct, just don't overdo it.

What they're mainly looking for though, is how you can take a source and really pick it apart by analyzing it in great depth. For example comparing it to other sources to add weight to your argument is a really good way to do this. Also really look at who is talking, where they were at the time of the event and why they'd be saying what they are saying and in what manner. For example I found peoples' jobs were useful as it can explain the way they saw and talked about the event.

Evaluation of the sources is also key to this question so make sure your essay is balanced but also has a strong argument leaning either way. I was told for a high grade it's important that your own voice and opinion comes through to show that you've really engaged with what you've been asked and you fully understand it.

I hope that's maybe helped a bit and that I haven't just confused you! Good luck with your essay! :smile:
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 3
Thank you both so much!!!

So am on the right lines!! Phew!! Am so glad that I signed up for this now as it's really helpful!!!

Thanks so much again :smile:
Reply 4
I'm also doing this coursework, but on Native Americans. I'm looking at the impact of off reservation boarding schools on the Native children. I'm slightly confused though, would I have to consider the positive and negative impacts of it in my essay and then reach a conclusion as to whether the overall impact was + or - (but we all know its neg so I dont know whether that would work as an essay :/) or would it be okay just to use sources that show the impact was negative, highlighting a range of issues- loss of culture and identity, loss of religion and thought and general ill treatment like illnesses or beatings. If so, in my conclusion, what would I then be concluding? Don't I have to weigh something up in this essay and then reach a conclusion about something in the end? I feel like with this essay even though I'll analyze the sources really well and pick them apart, my actual essay wont be reaching a conclusion about anything. Sorry, I'm just really confused about this, please help! Thanks a lot! :smile::colondollar:
Reply 5
Original post by jiniya_
I've done the A2 Edexcel coursework because I was entered for January. I ended up with full marks, 80/80 which I am really chuffed about! :biggrin: We did something different though, the topic was Britain's Empire and its African colonies and we chose our own questions and sources.

With the sources question it's a bit different to AS in the sense that not much of your own knowledge is actually needed and they care less about it. Definitely do include your own knowledge to support your argument and state facts where relevant as it demonstrates that you know what you're talking about. So I'd say what you're doing at the moment is correct, just don't overdo it.

What they're mainly looking for though, is how you can take a source and really pick it apart by analyzing it in great depth. For example comparing it to other sources to add weight to your argument is a really good way to do this. Also really look at who is talking, where they were at the time of the event and why they'd be saying what they are saying and in what manner. For example I found peoples' jobs were useful as it can explain the way they saw and talked about the event.

Evaluation of the sources is also key to this question so make sure your essay is balanced but also has a strong argument leaning either way. I was told for a high grade it's important that your own voice and opinion comes through to show that you've really engaged with what you've been asked and you fully understand it.

I hope that's maybe helped a bit and that I haven't just confused you! Good luck with your essay! :smile:

I'm also doing this coursework. Can you tell me what kind of paragraph structure you used to write it? That would be really helpful.
Reply 6
Original post by AfroBugs
I'm also doing this coursework. Can you tell me what kind of paragraph structure you used to write it? That would be really helpful.

I certainly have some ideas - based on the people I teach essay writing to. Have you got a clear argument and counter-argument?
Reply 7
Original post by mr_essay
I certainly have some ideas - based on the people I teach essay writing to. Have you got a clear argument and counter-argument?

I do have an argument and counter argument outlined. But at the moment I'm struggling with the 'source focused essay' idea. If we are not supposed to use contemporary sources, and only around 5 primary sources how should I structure my essay?

My teacher is currently looking at my first draft and when I get that back I should have more feedback to go on.
Reply 8
I really agree that structuring responses is a big problem for students. I think the main problem is people are not really taught how to do it. I'd start with thinking about what the core messages are from your sources. I'd look to choose some nice contrasting ones - so you have plenty of different views to contrast. Then, talk about which ones are most consistent with your own views - weighing them against others which you dismiss. State why you do this - you'll be well on the way to a good answer. You may also like: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Essay-Writing-Guide-Colour-Edition/dp/0992603609/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1381865662&sr=8-1&keywords=lindon+essay
Reply 9
good strong conclusion for parta?
I'm currently doing an A2 coursework on RUSSIA, and I know for a fact my teacher has no clue what we are actually meant to be doing to prepare and succeed for it!! If anyone could offer some help, my classmates and I will be ever so grateful!

Many Thanks
Savita PAul
(edited 9 years ago)
Ive got my coursework soon, does anyone have a sample essay? I can just anticipate a fail.
Original post by jiniya_

With the sources question it's a bit different to AS in the sense that not much of your own knowledge is actually needed and they care less about it. Definitely do include your own knowledge to support your argument and state facts where relevant as it
demonstrates that you know what you're talking about. So I'd say what you're doing at the moment is correct, just don't overdo it.

Do you think you can send me a copy to see how you structured your course work and integrated all the sources together.
Thanks
I'm just starting my A2 History coursework on the Arab-Israeli conflict and I am stressing out! We haven't yet been told how we're supposed to approach writing it, nor how to incorporate the sources (as I'd read that it's not the same as doing it at AS exam level). Does anybody know how we should begin and what to do with our sources? Thanks in advance!
Original post by jiniya_

If it wouldn't be too much of a bother would it be possible for you to send me a copy of your coursework? I believe I'm doing the same course and I am really very stuck on how to structure my essay and implement sources, my teacher isn't the best... :s
Reply 15
Original post by ilovebooksandtea
I'm just starting my A2 History coursework on the Arab-Israeli conflict and I am stressing out! We haven't yet been told how we're supposed to approach writing it, nor how to incorporate the sources (as I'd read that it's not the same as doing it at AS exam level). Does anybody know how we should begin and what to do with our sources? Thanks in advance!

I am doing the exact same topic for coursework and I too am completely clueless on how to approach writing it!!
Original post by máire
I am doing the exact same topic for coursework and I too am completely clueless on how to approach writing it!!

Hi! I ended up getting 96% in my coursework (yay!) after weeks of unending stress, so I know how you feel!

I found it helped to create a mindmap for each of the two questions so that the points you want to make are clearly mapped out. For sources, I found some really great ones in books such as 'The Arab-Israeli Conflict' by Kirsten E Schulze and 'The Origins and Evolution of the Arab-Zionist Conflict' by Michael J Cohen; I believe you can find both of these online for free through Google Books, too. You could also try searching the key terms of your question on Goodreads.com/quotes to see if that conjures up anything useful! As well as quotes, I ended up using several photograph sources (three in all) and a statistics table which really helped illustrate my points. Using photos also lets you explore whether they were staged and, if so, biased, so you can really go to town on whether it can be considered as a trustworthy source or not. I put all of these into an Appendix (it wasn't necessary at our college to do so, but I found it helped me as I could save words by writing '[see Appendix 3]' or something like that! I also recorded the full quotations here, too.)

Don't forget that for Part A, you should be looking mainly at primary/contemporary sources from the time period to fully assess the short-term significance of your chosen event/individual, and for Part B, looking mainly at the differing views of historians to determine your own stance on the subject matter.

I hope this helped, and good luck!
Reply 17
Original post by ilovebooksandtea
Hi! I ended up getting 96% in my coursework (yay!) after weeks of unending stress, so I know how you feel!

I found it helped to create a mindmap for each of the two questions so that the points you want to make are clearly mapped out. For sources, I found some really great ones in books such as 'The Arab-Israeli Conflict' by Kirsten E Schulze and 'The Origins and Evolution of the Arab-Zionist Conflict' by Michael J Cohen; I believe you can find both of these online for free through Google Books, too. You could also try searching the key terms of your question on Goodreads.com/quotes to see if that conjures up anything useful! As well as quotes, I ended up using several photograph sources (three in all) and a statistics table which really helped illustrate my points. Using photos also lets you explore whether they were staged and, if so, biased, so you can really go to town on whether it can be considered as a trustworthy source or not. I put all of these into an Appendix (it wasn't necessary at our college to do so, but I found it helped me as I could save words by writing '[see Appendix 3]' or something like that! I also recorded the full quotations here, too.)

Don't forget that for Part A, you should be looking mainly at primary/contemporary sources from the time period to fully assess the short-term significance of your chosen event/individual, and for Part B, looking mainly at the differing views of historians to determine your own stance on the subject matter.

I hope this helped, and good luck!

Ahh thank you! Yeah Part B went fine for me, I know I've done well in that but Part A has thrown me and little and I have no idea how to do NOP on the sources. So far I've written about 2 sources, one cartoon and one speech and I'm already at 900 words so will have to do a lot of cutting and editing it down
Reply 18
Can anyone share a sample essay (I'm doing Russia) but any sample would be good so I can see how the referencing to the sources is made - as I keep getting conflicting guidance from my history teachers. Thanks.
Reply 19
Original post by Savita Paul
I'm currently doing an A2 coursework on RUSSIA, and I know for a fact my teacher has no clue what we are actually meant to be doing to prepare and succeed for it!! If anyone could offer some help, my classmates and I will be ever so grateful!

Many Thanks
Savita PAul

Hi there Savita,
Did you get any help in your A2 coursework in the end?
Could you share yours with me so I can see how you structured yours/made reference to your sources etc? Unfortunately my teacher doesn't seem to have a clue either.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending