The Student Room Group

2014 Medicine Re-Applicants

Scroll to see replies

Original post by lmccormick
Hey can anyone help me? My A levels are A*AA (Bio,chem and maths respectively) and an additional A at AS level (Irish). So in my UCAS application should I only put in that one AS (Irish) or should I list all four AS results I got at the time (AAAB in bio,chem,irish and maths respectively). Its just I repeated a few of my maths modules to get my Maths up to an A at a level. Hope this makes sense! lol . Also should I put in module results?

Original post by BawanHama
Hey does anyone know when filling in the UCAS form in the education section will you need to put all 4 AS subjects that you took i.e. English, maths, bio, chem and then the three A2 subjects that you took i.e. maths, bio, chem, because I dropped English at the end of AS and don't know if for the AS section I should only put English or the other three as well? Any help appreciated!!!

Original post by MissJayySee
Hi, quick question!
When entering grades on UCAS, I don't need to include an AS result under 'GCE Advanced Subsidiary' if I've done the whole A Level do I? Is this bit just for subjects that you did to AS level? E.g. when listing Biology, I just put it as GCE Advanced Level and not the Advanced Subsidiary too? (Does this make sense?) :erm:

Also, it's not necessary that I include individual module grades is it... I can just leave it at the overall grades? Posted from TSR Mobile

Someone please answer our questions!!! It would be really appreciated :smile:

To all: to put it simply no don't declare the a/s version of subject that you took to a2. Only if you took 4 subjects at a/s and drop one at a2, then declare the subject you drop as an a/s.

lmccormick: Check on the university websites where you wish to apply if they require you declare you unit grades, it should be in their apply section. But I would say declare them anyway since you achieved A*AA they should fine. Btw unit grades are mostly used to predict first time applicants ability.

Original post by AAA_
To all: to put it simply no don't declare the a/s version of subject that you took to a2. Only if you took 4 subjects at a/s and drop one at a2, then declare the subject you drop as an a/s.

lmccormick: Check on the university websites where you wish to apply if they require you declare you unit grades, it should be in their apply section. But I would say declare them anyway since you achieved A*AA they should fine. Btw unit grades are mostly used to predict first time applicants ability.

Are you sure? Oh gosh this is all so confusing:frown: I thought they had to be declared- see below:

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1744719

There it specifically states:
Therefore, the following have to be entered, as applicable, on your application

all GCSEs graded A* to G (yes, including that embarrassing D for ICT you got in Year 9)
all your AS grades (A-E), even if you are taking the subjects to A level, and/or plan to resit modules to improve them, unless you are in a private school that has a policy of not certificating AS levels in Year 12. All state schools (in England at least) are now certificating AS levels in Year 12 routinely, where before a minority didn't; if in doubt about whether a result has been certificated ask your exams co-ordinator
all your A level grades (A*-E), if applicable
if you have completed resits and been awarded a new grade (better or worse) for an AS or A level, or IB, or anything else, you need to enter BOTH results

Consequently I entered all the AS even if they were taken to A2 :s-smilie:
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by CasualSoul
Are you sure? Oh gosh this is all so confusing:frown: I thought they had to be declared- see below:

all GCSEs graded A* to G (yes, including that embarrassing D for ICT you got in Year 9)
all your AS grades (A-E), even if you are taking the subjects to A level, and/or plan to resit modules to improve them, unless you are in a private school that has a policy of not certificating AS levels in Year 12. All state schools (in England at least) are now certificating AS levels in Year 12 routinely, where before a minority didn't; if in doubt about whether a result has been certificated ask your exams co-ordinator
if you have completed resits and been awarded a new grade (better or worse) for an AS or A level, or IB, or anything else, you need to enter BOTH results

If you've not yet taken your A2s, you need to list your AS grades. If you have taken your A2s, your ASs don't exist as a separate qualification because you've used those modules as part of your overall A level, so you only need to list the one you didn't take to A2.
Original post by xloichan
Erm, OK, I'll need a bit of help from you guys please!

Background story:
AS: AABD in Global Perspectives, Biology, Chemistry + Physics. Dropped Biology. Applied, got no offers due to low UKCAT and general academics.
A2: A*BB
GCSEs: 3A*s, 5As, 3Bs, a D.
Current UKCAT: 720 average.
At the moment, doing a third year of college, sitting all the Bs and taking up A2 Biology.

I was wanting to apply to Liverpool, Lancaster, Exeter and UEA, but apparently UEA require an A in GCSE Maths, which I don't have (have a B). 1; Do you think they would consider me if I said I would resit?

2) My lowest subtest score was in QR, where I got 560. Would this be below the individual subtest cutoffs for Exeter?

3)Are there places I can apply that I've missed out on?

4) Any resitters that have got offers could please give me advice?

All your help would be appreciated! :smile:

You could also consider Brighton/Sussex and Plymouth. See also the wiki article n resit policies... http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki/Medical_School_Resit_Policies

Regarding the B in GCSE Maths, you'd have to ask Exeter if they'll accept a resit. I suspect they will. Also, make sure your school states your intention to resit in the reference that they provide.

I can't say for certain about the QR cutoff - again, you'll have to ask them.

There is a thread for 2014 reapplicants where you may find some helpful posts by others in a similar situation... http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=2297276
Your thread should probably be joined to it.

HTH, and good luck!
Original post by SusieShire
Am I the only one who actually really likes PBL? I did a mock PBL thing at my college with the medical club and it was a great way of learning for me :smile:

You're not alone, I almost accepted a place on a PBL based course and really liked the idea of PBL when I was at school (mostly based on going to a very good sixth form where students did a lot of collaboration, even in science/maths classes, it felt a lot like a seminar). However having done a bit of PBL during my undergrad I think the value/effectiveness is massively dependent on the people in your group and how committed they are, a bad group can be very harmful to your learning, and your morale. I also prefer the idea of using PBL to complement lectures/tutorials/practical sessions (which is more like case based learning). I decided I wanted to learn the hard science in a more traditional way, (lectures, practical classes, dissection) and then practice applying it in PBL sessions.

Original post by FlavaFavourFruit
I think some of us are used to being sat in front of the teacher reading notes from the whiteboard :tongue:
PBL will be a massive change in my learning style :/

This change in learning style will happen anyway once you're in clinics, a PBL course with a large amount of traditional teaching methods (lectures, practicals, dissection etc) similar to the case based learning course at St George's and a few other schools would help ease the transition.
Original post by AAA_

Thank you for clearing this up! :biggrin:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by ameelia22
Don't be too gutted! Above 650 is a fantastic score and ensures that most options are open to you and combined with achieved grades - you are still in a great position. You've also got some decent experience behind you, although you could have some more in a caring environment so perhaps mention your plans to gain some?

Have you got any further with picking your choices?

Well I'm definitely applying to Manchester, I tick some of their "contextual" boxes they've started for 2014 applicants, and I've managed to get some volunteering starting next week at a health surgery (no idea what i'll be doing tbh :s-smilie:, woman on the phone just said to come in on Monday) Don't know how I'm going to phrase that in my PS, I was thinking of Leeds? They have a great A2L scheme. I have no idea about my 3rd and 4th - It's been suggested Exeter? Sheffield seems too far out of my reach :frown: Cardiff? Liverpool? Plymouth is out.
Original post by Becca-Sarah
If you've not yet taken your A2s, you need to list your AS grades. If you have taken your A2s, your ASs don't exist as a separate qualification because you've used those modules as part of your overall A level, so you only need to list the one you didn't take to A2.

Oh dear :frown:

It is a good job I haven't sent it yet. Thank you for explaining it to me.
Reply 2269

Thanks you freaking legend!!!
Original post by BawanHama
Thanks you freaking legend!!!

No, unfortunately , I am not a legend at all:K:lol

For the subjects you have completed to A2 you do not need to enter the AS. You only need to enter the AS if you have NOT taken it to A2.

One of the helpers here confirmed it:

"If you've not yet taken your A2s, you need to list your AS grades. If you have taken your A2s, your ASs don't exist as a separate qualification because you've used those modules as part of your overall A level, so you only need to list the one you didn't take to A2."

However, if you were referring to me posting the link and not the above then thanks :biggrin: lol
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 2271
No, unfortunately , I am not a legend at all:K:lol

For the subjects you have completed to A2 you do not need to enter the AS. You only need to enter the AS if you have NOT taken it to A2.

One of the helpers here confirmed it:

"If you've not yet taken your A2s, you need to list your AS grades. If you have taken your A2s, your ASs don't exist as a separate qualification because you've used those modules as part of your overall A level, so you only need to list the one you didn't take to A2."

However, if you were referring to me posting the link and not the above then thanks :biggrin: lol

Does either way really even matter?

Sorry for the slow reply, but i see the confusion. They mean you should enter all your unit A/S grades, although it actually isn't a necessity since some uni/courses don't require you to declare your unit grades. I hope that makes it clear.
Reply 2273
Anyone know whether Cardiff would overlook mediocre GCSE grades provided you have already achieved AAA+? I really really really want to go there :frown:((((((
Reply 2274
PS - How's everyone doing? Anyone doing anything nice over the weekend?
Reply 2275
it says "Our applicants have strong academic records in the 2012/13 applications round, most of those selected for interview had the equivalent of four/five A* grades at GCSE and/or AAA grades at A2 Level."

Does AAA substitute mediocre GCSEs?
Original post by ynm1
it says "Our applicants have strong academic records in the 2012/13 applications round, most of those selected for interview had the equivalent of four/five A* grades at GCSE and/or AAA grades at A2 Level."

Does AAA substitute mediocre GCSEs?

If you have 4A*s 5As and above, you will reach the academic req. I applied last year with AAA and 4 A*s at gcse.
Reply 2277
If you have 4A*s 5As and above, you will reach the academic req. I applied last year with AAA and 4 A*s at gcse.

Thanks for replying.

The issue is... I only have 4A* and 5B grades at GCSE. Sort of wish that I had tried harder in my GCSEs.
Original post by ynm1
Thanks for replying.

The issue is... I only have 4A* and 5B grades at GCSE. Sort of wish that I had tried harder in my GCSEs.

Ahhh then I don't think you will meet the cut off which will probably be 25/27. Yeah I wish I had tried harder in my GCSE's from the beginning.
Reply 2279
Ahhh then I don't think you will meet the cut off which will probably be 25/27. Yeah I wish I had tried harder in my GCSE's from the beginning.

Just sent them an e-mail asking to clarify this. Which unis you applying to?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending