The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 560
Hi All, Finally starting to see the light of day with this application. I have done my 16 days experience, working through drafts of my personal statement and it's just the personal statements to finally get. That is my question - do we need open references (just sent to me to add to my application) or is there an official channel through UCAS that referees need to send it to? Someone mentioned too about personal statements and having gone through loads of examples and run it by recent students and teachers, I think you can over think it. It's only an A4 page long (47 lines of 11 point writing) and realistically how much can you do in that? I also had a bit of an issue with comparing schools as I did 6 days in a Private all boys school to go with my ten in a Secondary school, the classes were smaller, it was more discussion led, more fluid and frankly was a bit more advanced. I know you don't want to appear to be criticising any school (the secondary I went to was excellent also) but it's about showing you can adapt and teach to the class according to the environment and ability is it not?
Reply 561
Is anyone applying for an early years PGCE?

Posted from TSR Mobile
I think I got an offer for some classroom experience. Will it look better in my application if I do several months of experience or it best to stick with 2 weeks in several schools?
Original post by Fabay
Is anyone applying for an early years PGCE?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeh I am :smile: where are you applying?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 564
Hi everyone - I only decided to apply for a Early Years/Primary PGCE in the past couple of months and I was planning to apply for 2015 entry, but after speaking to the careers centre at uni, she said I could apply for 2014 too. Now I'm frantically panicking over whether I can actually do this - I don't think I've got enough experience, haven't researched unis or anything - and coming on here and seeing how you've all got loads of experience and have been planning this for ages has made me even more miserable about it all :frown:

So basically, would it be worth preparing to apply this late before UCAS opens, or shall I just write it off and apply next year instead?
Original post by -aimz
Hi everyone - I only decided to apply for a Early Years/Primary PGCE in the past couple of months and I was planning to apply for 2015 entry, but after speaking to the careers centre at uni, she said I could apply for 2014 too. Now I'm frantically panicking over whether I can actually do this - I don't think I've got enough experience, haven't researched unis or anything - and coming on here and seeing how you've all got loads of experience and have been planning this for ages has made me even more miserable about it all :frown:

So basically, would it be worth preparing to apply this late before UCAS opens, or shall I just write it off and apply next year instead?

You have a month before applications open, you could get another weeks worth of experience in before then if you're lucky and get your references and personal statement done.
Pretty much everyone applies to the unis closest to them or that are in the area you want to work in in future.
Original post by Juichiro
I think I got an offer for some classroom experience. Will it look better in my application if I do several months of experience or it best to stick with 2 weeks in several schools?

They won't really have a preference. If you can get a long lasting placement I would go for that as you'll get to know the kids, the teachers and get an experience of what life in one school is like.
Original post by steph_cook92

Posted from TSR Mobile

I am too. :-)

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 568

Posted from TSR Mobile

I'm struggling to decide between early years and primary. I think primary might be better as it wouldn't limit me to a specific age range. But I prefer like the year ones and twos... If I apply for early years though I might apply to Leeds met and manchester met. What about you?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 569
And I've only had one week work experience in nursery.. And the rest is year one, year two and year 3 :/

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 570
Original post by Fabay
I'm struggling to decide between early years and primary. I think primary might be better as it wouldn't limit me to a specific age range. But I prefer like the year ones and twos... If I apply for early years though I might apply to Leeds met and manchester met. What about you?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Remember if the uni you apply to does a single 'primary' course as 5-11 that's just an extra two years included in the age range (compared to 3-7). In some unis they even have two 4 year brackets (5-9, 7-11) within primary which you have to choose from, so there is no loss compared to Early Years.

Also the age you train in does not determine your whole career - it's just where you are likely to start, and where you may feel more comfortable or confident at first.

Also there is also the advantage with Early Years that you're training to two different ways of doing it, so you have both under your belt.

Did you enjoy the time you spent in Nursery (trying to think in terms of the general structure etc and the age of the children, rather than things which vary from setting to setting)? If you did, then I'd recommend getting more experience in other Nursery/Reception classes and seeing if you really like it, and if you do go for Early Years! But if you didn't get on that much with the ethos and structure of the Nursery I'd say go for primary as for Early Years you need to be committed to that child-led, less structured ethos.

xxx
Original post by Fabay

Posted from TSR Mobile

Same as me, I like key stage 1 but am having trouble deciding early years or general primary!
Original post by Fabay

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeh I know what you mean. I'm in my last year of an early childhood studies degree though so I've always had a preference for little ones :smile: I'm trying to stay local so will be applying at Greenwich and Canterbury Christ Church. Have you got time to get experience in a KS2 class? It might help you make up your mind :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 573
Yeh I know what you mean. I'm in my last year of an early childhood studies degree though so I've always had a preference for little ones :smile: I'm trying to stay local so will be applying at Greenwich and Canterbury Christ Church. Have you got time to get experience in a KS2 class? It might help you make up your mind :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Ah right, I do childhood studies too but it's 0-18. Yeah I've worked with year 3 which I quite liked but defo preferred year one. The thought of teaching a year 5 or 6 class kinda scares me lol.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 574
Original post by polka_dott
Same as me, I like key stage 1 but am having trouble deciding early years or general primary!

It's a hard decision cos I've hardly had any work experience in early years foundation stage. Have you worked with the older years?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 575
Original post by kpwxx
Remember if the uni you apply to does a single 'primary' course as 5-11 that's just an extra two years included in the age range (compared to 3-7). In some unis they even have two 4 year brackets (5-9, 7-11) within primary which you have to choose from, so there is no loss compared to Early Years.

Also the age you train in does not determine your whole career - it's just where you are likely to start, and where you may feel more comfortable or confident at first.

Also there is also the advantage with Early Years that you're training to two different ways of doing it, so you have both under your belt.

Did you enjoy the time you spent in Nursery (trying to think in terms of the general structure etc and the age of the children, rather than things which vary from setting to setting)? If you did, then I'd recommend getting more experience in other Nursery/Reception classes and seeing if you really like it, and if you do go for Early Years! But if you didn't get on that much with the ethos and structure of the Nursery I'd say go for primary as for Early Years you need to be committed to that child-led, less structured ethos.

xxx

Thanks for the useful advice! Yeah Leeds uni do general primary but you can specific either 5-9 or 7-11.. Buts it's the only uni I can find (other than Cambridge) that does that. Maybe I've not looked properly. Yeah that's a good point but then you might be limited when it comes to jobs. Like if you really needed a job and the only age group going was like year 4.. You wouldn't be able to go for it regardless or whether you prefer that age group or not.
Yeah I enjoyed it in nursery. I thought the kids were so cute and there was a lot more structure to what was going on , as opposed to the kids just "playing" they were learning through play. And I find it interesting how the activities actually link into the EYFS framework e.g. Role play would link into social skills etc. but as a volunteer, I found it quite boring because there wasn't as much to do cos the kids were kind of doing their own thing. But I found it useful talking to the teacher about what was going on and I think as a teacher I would have more to do.. As opposed to being a volunteer. I loved like the little things like the children saying please and thank you and praising them for e.g. Being a good listener or helping with something,

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 576
Original post by Fabay
Thanks for the useful advice! Yeah Leeds uni do general primary but you can specific either 5-9 or 7-11.. Buts it's the only uni I can find (other than Cambridge) that does that. Maybe I've not looked properly. Yeah that's a good point but then you might be limited when it comes to jobs. Like if you really needed a job and the only age group going was like year 4.. You wouldn't be able to go for it regardless or whether you prefer that age group or not.
Yeah I enjoyed it in nursery. I thought the kids were so cute and there was a lot more structure to what was going on , as opposed to the kids just "playing" they were learning through play. And I find it interesting how the activities actually link into the EYFS framework e.g. Role play would link into social skills etc. but as a volunteer, I found it quite boring because there wasn't as much to do cos the kids were kind of doing their own thing. But I found it useful talking to the teacher about what was going on and I think as a teacher I would have more to do.. As opposed to being a volunteer. I loved like the little things like the children saying please and thank you and praising them for e.g. Being a good listener or helping with something,

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeah... There is a risk but I think it's a small one. The school will always go for the best candidate even if they're trained differently. I know someone who just did KS2 training and got a job in year 7/8, also someone who did KS1/lower KS2 and got a job in EYFS.

Yes the training will go into how to really move on learning when you're playing with the children though it does still seem less rushed in terms of what you're doing than with older ones. But I think that's good... You have time to really focus on moving children along, go "I think I'll work with so and so on vocab today" or whatever, whereas in KS1 I felt rushed like all the children needed my guidance during each lesson at some point and I couldn't give it! It sounds like you're in to early years so I'd definitely at least have a look at other settings to help decide. Remember as week that in interview the uni will want to see a commitment to age range.

I know uea split primary up like that, and I think there must be other unis around who would. Maybe look in to unis in locations which would suit you and see what they do. Or you could look in the UCAS big guide which lists all courses, I think your local library should have a copy.

Xxx

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 577
Original post by kpwxx
Yeah... There is a risk but I think it's a small one. The school will always go for the best candidate even if they're trained differently. I know someone who just did KS2 training and got a job in year 7/8, also someone who did KS1/lower KS2 and got a job in EYFS.

Yes the training will go into how to really move on learning when you're playing with the children though it does still seem less rushed in terms of what you're doing than with older ones. But I think that's good... You have time to really focus on moving children along, go "I think I'll work with so and so on vocab today" or whatever, whereas in KS1 I felt rushed like all the children needed my guidance during each lesson at some point and I couldn't give it! It sounds like you're in to early years so I'd definitely at least have a look at other settings to help decide. Remember as week that in interview the uni will want to see a commitment to age range.

I know uea split primary up like that, and I think there must be other unis around who would. Maybe look in to unis in locations which would suit you and see what they do. Or you could look in the UCAS big guide which lists all courses, I think your local library should have a copy.

Xxx

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thank you for the advice. That's a good point, I guess once your trained I may be able to teach like year 3 cos that's like the next year up from year 2 etc. that's made me feel better lol. I think I'm going to go for early years but I'm a bit worried about my work experience.

I did an 8 week placement in June/july and spent 3weeks with year 3, one week in nursery and 4weeks in year one. That one week in nursery is the only experience I've had with EYFS but I've mostly worked within KS1 not just in that 4 week placement but also volunteering in the past has usually been in year one or year two. Im waiting for my uni to find me a placement which should be sorted by November at the latest so I might see if that school would let me work in their reception class. I just hope I'm not taking a risk by applying for early years.. I mean in terms of my chances of getting a place on a early years PGCE.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 578
Original post by Fabay
Thank you for the advice. That's a good point, I guess once your trained I may be able to teach like year 3 cos that's like the next year up from year 2 etc. that's made me feel better lol. I think I'm going to go for early years but I'm a bit worried about my work experience.

I did an 8 week placement in June/july and spent 3weeks with year 3, one week in nursery and 4weeks in year one. That one week in nursery is the only experience I've had with EYFS but I've mostly worked within KS1 not just in that 4 week placement but also volunteering in the past has usually been in year one or year two. Im waiting for my uni to find me a placement which should be sorted by November at the latest so I might see if that school would let me work in their reception class. I just hope I'm not taking a risk by applying for early years.. I mean in terms of my chances of getting a place on a early years PGCE.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeah, it's a tricky one... see how it goes in the meantime before applications open. You might know more about your placement before they do and be able to contact the school to arrange to go in reception for a while, then put that down as upcoming experience in your application. And then you may have had it by interview.

Was it you who was really struggling to find anything? Have you tried asking round local Nurseries rather than schools, I know it would be good to have some reception as well but it would be better than nothing, you could maybe fit in a couple of afternoons in one nursery, a couple in another etc. Maybe if your uni has a Nursery for staff/students' children you could try there?

xxx
Anyone else feeling really frustrated about the lack of info available to 2014 applicants? UCAS is still redirecting to the GTTR for postgraduate course searches and the GTTR is still referring to 2013 applicants. Considering 2013 applicants have started now, it seems a bit slow to update. Annoying that we can't book skills tests either!

Latest