The Student Room Group

Advice for a future Entrepreneur!

---
(edited 4 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I highly doubt that any of these will give you a great edge in terms of your 'entrepreneurial skills'. Do what fits your interests best, no one will judge your choices as you plan to be self-employed and the most interesting course for you will surely develop you creativity and entrepreneurship the most.
Reply 2
Original post by shake_it
I highly doubt that any of these will give you a great edge in terms of your 'entrepreneurial skills'. Do what fits your interests best, no one will judge your choices as you plan to be self-employed and the most interesting course for you will surely develop you creativity and entrepreneurship the most.

Thank you :smile: I will take your advice on board!

If anyone else has an opinion to add, please do!
Original post by SC96
Dear all,

I have been feeling very divided lately in regards to my application for undergraduate entry 2014, which is due this October. In fact, I am facing quite a puzzling dilemma.

For a while, I've been dead set on studying Law, namely at Oxford, LSE, or UCL (as my 3 top choices).

The type of career that I have in mind for my future is entrepreneurship, business management, behavioural economics, or corporate law.

Now, having studied some basic law online, as well as not being sure whether or not I would truly enjoy becoming a lawyer, I am thinking of maybe opting for PPE, Economics, or Politics/Philosophy.

What I would like to know is:

- Do you think that Law is a good background for Business Management or Entrepreneurship, rather than just Corporate Law?

- Do you believe that PPE, Politics, Philosophy, or Economics would be more useful than Law for the kind of future that I have in mind? (Knowing that I thoroughly enjoy all of those subjects and perform well in them)

- Are there any other degrees that I could pursue (in those 3 universities), that would benefit me even more as a future businessman? (I am flexible and open to new ideas!)

I realise that any answer you give will just be your opinion, but, I value your opinions just as much as my own. This thread obviously won't be decisive for me, I just want your insight as a community.

Thank you

SC96

I don't think it will matter either way. Unless you're studying an accounting/management type degree nothing will be directly relevant.

I'd add that if you want to be a corporate lawyer you can do this (in fact it is increasingly common to) without a law degree, with no disadvantage.
Reply 4
bump!
Reply 5
Would agree with everyone else. Honestly don't think it matters, I think the most important thing to take into consideration is picking a subject that you're going to enjoy. If you don't enjoy the subject you're doing to some level you're going to struggle (especially at those unis) to do it for 3 years. I also don't really think it's essential to have studied any business type subject at uni to be an entrepreneur or want to set up your own business.

For example I'm studying natural sciences (chem/phy/maths) at Nottingham but have set up my own business with my brother. Do something you enjoy and get a good degree - as it will always be there once you've got it!

Find out how we're funding our way through uni

http://thetatsbros.com/
Reply 6
Original post by TheTatsBros

Find out how we're funding our way through uni

Do you actually make money from that SFM stuff? Looks like a typical load of hot air that will take a signing up fee and then send you a few emails full of business buzzwords?
Reply 7
Original post by Maccees
Do you actually make money from that SFM stuff? Looks like a typical load of hot air that will take a signing up fee and then send you a few emails full of business buzzwords?

Course you can, I had a skype call with lee from leeandtami yesterday, they've only been in it for 9 months and they have just broken the $100,000 mark.

I can understand why you'd think that, it is very hard to distinguish between the pure bull **** and anything of any quality. I can only speak form our experience but the support we've had has been really really good - provided you get yourself involved in the community. It's massively beneficial and saves you so much time to be able to learn from people who've been there and done that in the first place.

I'd by lying if I said you don't need any investment and that it's not hard work. I think the problem is that people want results straight away, being an entrepreneur and setting up your own business is HARD - that's why very few people do it. The SFM are exactly what they say they are, they are mentors in helping you set up your own online business, they give you all the tools to make it happen but you have to take consistent action to make it work, like anything worth having.

Given the current economy, the success of loads of other students (some people are making a hell of a lot more than a full time income, but they've obviously gone on to set up other business) me and my brother wanted to break away from what everyone else is doing. For us to be successful at this point in our lives we'd only need a fraction of other's success. As Guy and Ilan say from satori prime, the internet is a big pie, to own your own six figure business you only need a ridiculously small sliver.

That's my honest opinion anyway, it's not for everyone but if you risk nothing you stand to gain nothing.

Hope that helps

Rich

Reply 8
would you trust the tatsbors to give you advice?

"Powered by WordPress and the Graphene Theme."

-Cant even edit the footer of their wordpress theme

-Plus I don't think their balls have dropped yet, given how they look in their photos

Just my 2 cents and a bottle of whiskey
(edited 10 years ago)
I have a law degree. It has absolutely no carryover to my current business dealings whatsoever.

Business is learnt through experience.
The Tats Bros is somewhere between a dream and a pyramid scheme. Their own information doesn't even check out and nor does that of the people they reference.

A business is more than pictures and websites. You have to do something that makes money.
Original post by commandant
I have a law degree. It has absolutely no carryover to my current business dealings whatsoever.

But how would you get this experience out of interest? Could this involve working for an accountancy firm or an investment bank? Or part-time start up?

Just curious :redface:
Reply 12
Original post by Tomatochuckers
But how would you get this experience out of interest? Could this involve working for an accountancy firm or an investment bank? Or part-time start up?

Just curious :redface:

Probably a startup company (best if early stage). Startups are about getting an idea which people will buy into, so accounting and investment banking isn't really going to help until later on.

Its really hard to get people to buy or to visit your site, in the early stages.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 13
What business do you want to get into? Have you got an idea for a product or service? Do you have a passion? Maybe you want to make some money then buy a franchise? You haven't said what you want to be doing.

I help blind people see...
Original post by commandant

+1 experience in the field in which you want to work is important.

To get to a point where I feel ready to set up my business I had many years in sales management in the hospitality industry; ie being in charge of every penny hotels made and all their advertising and revenue generating and running departments. I think chucked that all in to get 2 years experience in the field in which I want to work (besides the years I've invested into it as a hobby). All of this pales in comparison to my degree....which I've never used...

If you want to start a business in something relating to law then a law degree will of course be beneficial. What is it that you're wanting to do?
Hey,

Stay clear from MLM and Pyramid schemes they are total scams !

I started up my own online business in July, going quiet good so far :smile: www.jakefitzgeraldofficial.com

University means nothing a degree gives you leverage to get a job in the corporate world but doesn't help you one bit at becoming an entrepreneur especially in the digital economy.

I could teach you more in 3 months of mentoring than 3 years at university learning how to make a good online income. Sorry to be vague but its true...
Reply 16
Another six figure mentor advertiser :rolleyes:
Reply 17
Original post by jakefitzgerald93

Stay clear from MLM and Pyramid schemes they are total scams !

You seem knowledgeable. What's the definition of a pyramid scheme?

I think you are misunderstanding a Pyramid scheme from a Product funnel...

"A pyramid scheme is an unsustainable business model that involves promising participants payment or services, primarily for enrolling other people into the scheme, rather than supplying any real investment or sale of productsor services to the public.[1][2]Various forms of pyramid schemes are illegal in many countries including Albania, Australia,[3][4] Austria,[5] Brazil,Canada, China,[6] Colombia,[7] Denmark, the Dominican Republic,[8] Estonia,[9] France, Germany, Hong Kong,[10]Hungary, Iceland, Iran,[11] Italy,[12] Japan,[13] Malaysia, Mexico, Nepal, the Netherlands,[14] New Zealand,[15]Norway,[16] the Philippines,[17] Poland, Portugal, Romania,[18] Russian Federation, South Africa,[19] Spain, Sri Lanka,[20] Sweden,[21] Switzerland, Taiwan, Thailand,[22] Turkey,[23] the United Kingdom, and the United States.[24]"

I'm not knowledgeable I just use my common sense, as I did just then, taken from Wikipedia :smile:
Reply 19
Original post by jakefitzgerald93
I think you are misunderstanding a Pyramid scheme from a Product funnel...

I'm not knowledgeable I just use my common sense, as I did just then, taken from Wikipedia :smile:

Ahh ok so basically pyramid schemes are illegal. So why do mlm companies continue to operate if you're saying they are pyramid schemes and scams?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending