The Student Room Group

Economics applicant thread UCAS 2014

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Boy_wonder_95
Wow... I'm out of breath! :nooo: (:tongue:)

1)Getting an A* prediction in Econ doesn't mean unis are going to specify it in your offers if that's what your worrying about. Why would you want to be predicted AAA over A*AA anyways?

2) You meet the entry requirements for all those unis so your choices are fine.

3)I think the A*AA-AAB depends on if you had any extenuating circumstances perhaps (sickness, family issues etc...), or if it's anything like Bristol's policy, if you go to a relatively under-performing school.

thank you for replying :smile: about being predicted AAA over A*AA, I think it's just that if I'm not capable of achieving an A*, I'd rather know and accept that now and firm a place like York, as opposed to believing it now, spending all year under pressure of getting the A* and firming a university which needs it, then not getting it and being devastated on results day. (I don't really have any confidence in me doing well haha, and also my mum advised me to change the A*AA to an AAA which didn't really boost my confidence at all)

But thank you for your help! I'm probably going to keep the prediction, because I think I may regret it if I changed it down. I'm still confused though; this year is going to be so stressful, I wish I was at university now! Good luck with your application and I hope you get in the university you want! :smile:
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 1261
Just got sent my SAQ, it's longer than I thought!
Original post by Giant
Just got sent my SAQ, it's longer than I thought!

Did you make an extra personal statement? Or just leave that part blank?
Reply 1263
Original post by NedStark
Did you make an extra personal statement? Or just leave that part blank?

I left it blank, I've said everything there is to be said on my PS anyway. It says "we are particularly interested in why you chose the Cambridge course" but tbh it's not really much different than from other courses and I couldn't be bothered to engineer something for the sake of it that would probably end up sounding artificial.
Reply 1264
Original post by ellenabethx
Got AAABC last year (didn't do General Studies) hoping/wanting to get at least A*AA this year!
Applying to UCL, Queen Mary's London, Warwick, Leeds and York I reckon!
Just finished my personal statement, and not at all tempted to do the Oxbridge thing (even if I am intrugued to see if I get an offer)

Where are all you applying to?

Oxbridge wouldn't look too favourably upon the B and the C, and the Warwick offer is A*AAa with an a at AS so I don't think you meet that criteria sorry :frown:.
Original post by Chloe_P
Oxbridge wouldn't look too favourably upon the B and the C, and the Warwick offer is A*AAa with an a at AS so I don't think you meet that criteria sorry :frown:.

But Warwick also offer A*AAB if you carry on four A2. So all hope is not lost.
But Warwick also offer A*AAB if you carry on four A2. So all hope is not lost.

This isn't always true. I took 4 A2s and was offered A*AAa.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by JOR2010

Posted from TSR Mobile

I think they'd offer that to people who achieve 4 A's at AS Level since they've already met requirement of having a 4th AS at grade A.

But the other person at AAAB so they should get an A*AAB offer unless they take the subject with a B to A2 and drop the A grade subject.
Original post by JOR2010

Posted from TSR Mobile

Ah wow that's a lot easier offer tbh - saves the effort for the 4th A2. Do you think you were a small minority of offer holders in that situation though?
Original post by Lunch_Box
Ah wow that's a lot easier offer tbh - saves the effort for the 4th A2. Do you think you were a small minority of offer holders in that situation though?

I've no idea really, since I was expecting an A*AAB offer (if I got an offer, that was).
I think they'd offer that to people who achieve 4 A's at AS Level since they've already met requirement of having a 4th AS at grade A.

But the other person at AAAB so they should get an A*AAB offer unless they take the subject with a B to A2 and drop the A grade subject.

I've no idea, probably just a bit hit and miss with what they offer.
hey i could use some help.
what universities do not require maths a-level for economics?
i know my choices are extremely limited but i just need help
im predicted A*A*A in economics,english and biology (strange choices i know but long story)
Original post by RachelRose
im predicted A*A*A in economics,english and biology (strange choices i know but long story)

I don't know specifically what universities don't require it but I'm fairly sure the top 15 unis (for economics) tend to specify needing maths or at least highly recommend it. If you don't take maths then it MAY be a good idea to take BA economics which is less maths oriented compared to Bsc which is very difficult to do if you've not done maths A level. When I went to some open days, economics students were saying that people who didn't take Maths tended struggle a lot. Funnily enough, I took economics, english and chemistry (dropped biology at AS) for A levels. I got a place at Sussex (which, by the way, doesn't require Maths for Bsc even) but it's a deferred entry specifically so I can do a Maths A level which could be another option for you if you really want to do a Bsc course.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 10 years ago)

If you take economics and management, then you dont usually need maths... Leeds is an example.

I don't think Exeter requires maths beyond GCSE although I could be wrong.
Anybody receive the email from LSE today saying that they will update us in two weeks time? Does this mean that we can realistically expect a decision so soon?
Reply 1275
Original post by thisisjokes
Anybody receive the email from LSE today saying that they will update us in two weeks time? Does this mean that we can realistically expect a decision so soon?

Yup I got that. Hopefully early applications = early responses, but I'm not sure.

Don't LSE ask for UMS scores though, when do they send the form out for that?
Original post by Giant
Yup I got that. Hopefully early applications = early responses, but I'm not sure.

Don't LSE ask for UMS scores though, when do they send the form out for that?

I hope so too, but I was under the impression that LSE are notorious for making late decisions.

I think they do (did?) for Economics applicants, but I'm not sure when. I've applied for Philosophy and Economics so not too sure whether they'll ask for my UMS scores? Hopefully not, they're not nearly as good as some of the Cambridge applicants I've seen on this thread :colondollar:
basically in GCSE business and economics i got an A because my whole year gropus contolled assessment was moved down. Mine went from an A* to a C. My question is "if i wana do economics at a top uni such as oxbridge, LSE or UCL will not getting an A* at GCSE in economics affect my chances?"
Reply 1278
Original post by thisisjokes
I hope so too, but I was under the impression that LSE are notorious for making late decisions.

I think they do (did?) for Economics applicants, but I'm not sure when. I've applied for Philosophy and Economics so not too sure whether they'll ask for my UMS scores? Hopefully not, they're not nearly as good as some of the Cambridge applicants I've seen on this thread :colondollar:

I think it's only for straight Economics and (maybe) Maths and Economics. I know most courses don't bother with it so you should be OK! :smile:
Sent my application today. Finally. :biggrin:
I'm having a mock interview on Monday with my Economics teacher's husband (he works in IB) - I hope he won't be too scary!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending