The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Pabblethefish
Yeah that's kind of my take on Oxford, I'm just daydreaming at the moment. Cambridge is much more beautiful but I don't fancy the Natural Sciences course :tongue:

I'll only apply to Oxford if I get all As at AS and at least two high As at that. I'm definitely thinking of applying to Bristol, Durham and potentially Bath. Again, this all depends on grades. If I don't do as well as I hope then I'll have to consider others...

It breaks my heart how Exeter doesn't offer chemistry though, Exeter is such a beautiful city!

I really LOVE the look of Natural Science :ahee: It's why I want to apply to Cambridge (in addition to the fact that Cambridge is otherwise ****ing awesome :tongue:).
Original post by MangoFreak
I really LOVE the look of Natural Science :ahee: It's why I want to apply to Cambridge (in addition to the fact that Cambridge is otherwise ****ing awesome :tongue:).

Last year I was amazed by the idea of doing natural sciences somewhere but now I'm pretty dead set on chemistry! But Cambridge is so beautiful :h:
Last year I was amazed by the idea of doing natural sciences somewhere but now I'm pretty dead set on chemistry! But Cambridge is so beautiful :h:

I haven't really done all that much research on pure Physics courses (my subject of choice), but I have to assume that NatSci will be just as "thorough", which is a concern for me, else I can't see how Cambridge science graduates would get anywhere :mmm: Plus, I can maybe do a Chemistry module in addition (my A Level Physics teachers are so boring they may actually put me off the subject, although I'm hoping not).
Original post by MangoFreak
I haven't really done all that much research on pure Physics courses (my subject of choice), but I have to assume that NatSci will be just as "thorough", which is a concern for me, else I can't see how Cambridge science graduates would get anywhere :mmm: Plus, I can maybe do a Chemistry module in addition (my A Level Physics teachers are so boring they may actually put me off the subject, although I'm hoping not).

Yeah I don't doubt the courses are as thorough, it just doesn't appeal to me. I've seen a few physical chemistry courses though and they look quite snazzy!
Reply 5884
Just got back from Kelling after setting off straight from school on Friday. Two late nights later and I'm aching and very tired.

I don't want tomorrow to come :frown:
Hey everyone! I've not been on for ages and I just *miraculously* ended up here when trying to learn about the digestive system... How're you all? :smile:
I'm starting to freak out about university now... I think I want to study maths, and most of the courses I've looked at require further maths at least to AS, but my school doesn't want to do it this year. I put my name down for it, but it's October and it's way too late to start now, isn't it? Will universities understand that I couldn't do it??
Yeah that's kind of my take on Oxford, I'm just daydreaming at the moment. Cambridge is much more beautiful but I don't fancy the Natural Sciences course :tongue:

I'll only apply to Oxford if I get all As at AS and at least two high As at that. I'm definitely thinking of applying to Bristol, Durham and potentially Bath. Again, this all depends on grades. If I don't do as well as I hope then I'll have to consider others...

It breaks my heart how Exeter doesn't offer chemistry though, Exeter is such a beautiful city!

So many universities now don't offer chemistry - it's strange! I think it's something to do with cost, but still...

Bath's nice, I live near Bath and the area's lovely. I don't know anything about its courses though as I haven't looked at it as a uni. Ugh, everything depends on grades... so much pressure :angry:
Original post by Inexorably
I'm not even sure as she doesn't get a break in lesson necessarily haha. I think she doesn't go in every day though :tongue:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Ahh, having days off, that could explain it. Not sure if even an extra day off is worth it though...
Original post by lulagreenleaf
I'm starting to freak out about university now... I think I want to study maths, and most of the courses I've looked at require further maths at least to AS, but my school doesn't want to do it this year. I put my name down for it, but it's October and it's way too late to start now, isn't it? Will universities understand that I couldn't do it??

Is it too late? My school's further maths set have only just started Logs, but it'd involve you doing lots of work in your own time as you'd usually have lessons put aside (I think) - try emailing the universities? And which ones are you interested in?
Original post by InPiscinam
Is it too late? My school's further maths set have only just started Logs, but it'd involve you doing lots of work in your own time as you'd usually have lessons put aside (I think) - try emailing the universities? And which ones are you interested in?

On another thread about further maths I got told that it would be too late to start :/ Plus it'd be a fifth subject for me {we have to do it as a fifth} and I already have so much work. And my maths teacher said she's pretty sure it's not happening this year :/

I looked at most of the London unis, Cambridge, Bath {also looked at their maths and physics degree with doesn't require further maths, but it's "desirable"}... Just for ideas, not set on anything yet. I just worry that if I can't do it, even if I can still apply, other students with further maths will be preferred.. :/ And maths is pretty much the only thing I can do so I don't really have much of an option when it comes to degree options.
On another thread about further maths I got told that it would be too late to start :/ Plus it'd be a fifth subject for me {we have to do it as a fifth} and I already have so much work. And my maths teacher said she's pretty sure it's not happening this year :/

I looked at most of the London unis, Cambridge, Bath {also looked at their maths and physics degree with doesn't require further maths, but it's "desirable"}... Just for ideas, not set on anything yet. I just worry that if I can't do it, even if I can still apply, other students with further maths will be preferred.. :/ And maths is pretty much the only thing I can do so I don't really have much of an option when it comes to degree options.

I take it you're doing physics? And try asking your teacher and emailing/writing to the unis in question! I'm sure if you explained everything on your personal statement about how you didn't even get the chance to do it then they'd understand? That could be me being a little naïve though! Honestly, the best thing to do is to ask, you've still got 2 years...! Do you have a school careers advisor or anything like that?

I think most universities SHOULD (do check to be sure; e-mail them) be lenient if you weren't given the opportunity to take F.Maths. You might need a different subject to replace it though.

You say they're not doing it this year. Does that mean not at all, or that in Year 13 they might?
only just finishing homework i hate procrastination
Original post by techno836
Welcome to the new current year 12 thread, our home for the next year. (We’re now in the A Level forum :woo: )! that must mean we have matured :eek: :wink: This is the start of 2 very important years for us and A levels can be hard but that won't scare us! We have a high target to beat last year’s year 12s so let's all work hard :sogood:

Below is a list of subjects and exam boards that we are all taking, I'm sure it will be useful when you need somebody to help you :h: (Newcomers please quote me if you wish to be added :h: )

Subjects

Scottish Highers

Make sure you work your hardest all year and I'm sure the next results day will be fine, and in order to work hard here are some useful links below ( I'll add some more as I find them :smile:

http://www.examsolutions.co.uk - For Maths :smile:
http://www.Chemguide.co.uk - For Chemistry :smile:

And Finally if you have any query about A-level Choices or University choices make sure you ask/quote L'evil Fish or drop him a PM :smile: I will also answer any regarding Medicine or direct you to more helpful thread :h:

Best of luck for the forthcoming year! :h: :cool:

WJEC Chemistry
WJEC Biology
WJEC Further Mathematics
OCR B Physics
+
Completely pointless Welsh Baccelaureate
(edited 3 years ago)
Original post by Clai
WJEC Chemistry
WJEC Biology
WJEC Further Mathematics
OCR B Physics
+
Completely pointless Welsh Baccelaureate

Snap for Biology and Further Maths!

Welsh Baccalaureate, I don't have to do at private school now :smug: I feel for you, had to do intermediate.
Original post by Ladymusiclover
Does anyone understand how to work this out?

In the production of sulphuric acid sulphur dioxide is converted to sulphur trioxide by

reaction with the oxygen in the air. What volume of air (assume 20% of the air is oxygen)

would be needed to produce 150 cm3 of sulphur trioxide? Assume complete conversion of

sulphur dioxide to sulphur trioxide.
2SO2 +02 > 2S03

We've just learn this in Chemistry (or atleast I hope we have). If anyone else doesn't answer this by the time I get my backside home after school I'd be more than happy to help

CAN SOMEONE QUOTE TECHNO 836FOR ME (excuse my laziness, its Monday morning): I'm doing OCR B Salters for Chemistry now
(edited 10 years ago)
My physics teacher is a joke. He teaches straight off the textbook and is the most unenthusiastic teacher I've ever had. We're all gonna fail.

Just thought I'd share some positive energy.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Need to make something levitate using static electricity but haven't got any ideas, any help?
Original post by Ladymusiclover
Does anyone understand how to work this out?

In the production of sulphuric acid sulphur dioxide is converted to sulphur trioxide by

reaction with the oxygen in the air. What volume of air (assume 20% of the air is oxygen)

would be needed to produce 150 cm3 of sulphur trioxide? Assume complete conversion of

sulphur dioxide to sulphur trioxide.
2SO2 +02 > 2S03

2SO2 + O2 = 2SO3
1Mol=2Mol
(20%) 75cm3=150 cm3
(x5=100%)375cm3
375cm3 of air needed to produce 150cm3 of sulphur trioxide
Hope thats right and helps you. Feel free to ask if I've confused you

Latest