The Student Room Group

A-Level choosing help pt.2?!

Hi!

I posted a thread similar to this a few weeks ago, but wanted a bit more help, if you will?

So, I'm currently in yr. 11 and beginning to debate A-Level courses to take. Right now, I'm averaging A/B for all my GCSE's, I already have an A in my RE, and two B's in Core Science, and additional Science (I'm doing triple science). As you can see my strength lies more with written subject, but I don't necessarily struggle with Science/Math.

In the future, I want to be eligible for Russel Group University's (ideally), possibly Birmingham or Liverpool (obviously not sure yet). I want to study Business Management/ Marketing there.

What would be the best A-Levels to choose?

Here are some I have played around with (*are subjects I definantly want to take):

English Language

History

Classical Civilization (Subjects I prefer to history, as history subjects include Nazi Germany which I've done for GCSE and not enjoyed I have a cousin who's done C.V. and loved it, told me all about it and it sounds amazing. But, does it hold a similar weight to History at Uni?)

Economics

Business Studies

Law

Politics and Government

Religious Studies

Sociology

Help, please?
:smile:
Natalie xx
Reply 1
Hi natalie 1 i am natalie 2.

I first went into college wanting to keep business/stats as an option, but i really like science also, so i wanted to see my 4options as 2 options for each.
A great subject for business/marketing is maths, or economics if u prefer, (ya get to do stats in more detail in maths thats all-all probability) as obviously business is too but neither is necassary.
Don't know how u feel about chemistry but many people go to do a degree in chem at uni just to go into marketing, but again u dont have too.

How about:
Eng Lang
Classic civil (many people drop history as its almost exactly like gcse-they also do the tudors though)
Economics / law. (Ur fave-theyre both seen overall equally good)

Then if u wanna do 4 for AS, chose one u know u will enjoy more, coz 4 is a lot but wht i learned is that if u enjoy one it takes that little bit of stress off ya.
Not sure how much writing u like but i know the first exams in economics tend to be about 50% writing/data analysis and 50%multiple choice/selective q.s

Its up to u at the end, because ur grades are great, ur options can be a bit more varied as ur not limitted.

To get the best chance of getting into russell groups, some colleges like mine may consider ur gcse grades (where an A*, A, B etc are worth points) and if u get over a certain score that helps seeing if u have a better chance,
But ultimately the unis will look at ur AS grades and marks so yeah take what u enjoy is the main thing, u have a better chance of wanting to improve/research nything about it in ur own time which unis tend to like :tongue:

Hope this helps, ask if u wanna know anything else :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2
Original post by Nat_LPS

I disagree, economics is more on par with geography or history whereas law is…well, not.

Anyway, OP, look at the guidance given by universities for your course. For example, Bath's page on its Management with Marketing course. I'd guess that the subjects most fitting the description of "traditional A level subjects" from your choices would be economics, history, RE and classics.
Reply 3
Original post by knope
I disagree, economics is more on par with geography or history whereas law is…well, not.

Anyway, OP, look at the guidance given by universities for your course. For example, Bath's page on its Management with Marketing course. I'd guess that the subjects most fitting the description of "traditional A level subjects" from your choices would be economics, history, RE and classics.

Yeah, I've heard more traditional subjects are more respected in Universities, particularly the ones I'm looking at. Thank you! :smile:
Reply 4
Original post by ed97
I would say generally for Russell Group universities that you should consider doing mainly what they class as "academic" subjects which include the humanties such as history, geography, R.e but also the sciences, maths and modern foreign languages. Therefore I would advise that you take these types of subjects along with business studies if that is what you want to pursue!

Here is the booklet for making informed choices by the Russell group website: http://www.russellgroup.ac.uk/informed-choices.aspx

Good Luck!!!

Okay, yeah, I can defiantly see the sense in that! :smile: Thank you!
Reply 5
Original post by Nat_LPS
Hi natalie 1 i am natalie 2.

I first went into college wanting to keep business/stats as an option, but i really like science also, so i wanted to see my 4options as 2 options for each.
A great subject for business/marketing is maths, or economics if u prefer, (ya get to do stats in more detail in maths thats all-all probability) as obviously business is too but neither is necassary.
Don't know how u feel about chemistry but many people go to do a degree in chem at uni just to go into marketing, but again u dont have too.

How about:
Eng Lang
Classic civil (many people drop history as its almost exactly like gcse-they also do the tudors though)

Then if u wanna do 4 for AS, chose one u know u will enjoy more, coz 4 is a lot but wht i learned is that if u enjoy one it takes that little bit of stress off ya.
Not sure how much writing u like but i know the first exams in economics tend to be about 50% writing/data analysis and 50%multiple choice/selective q.s

Its up to u at the end, because ur grades are great, ur options can be a bit more varied as ur not limitted.

To get the best chance of getting into russell groups, some colleges like mine may consider ur gcse grades (where an A*, A, B etc are worth points) and if u get over a certain score that helps seeing if u have a better chance,
But ultimately the unis will look at ur AS grades and marks so yeah take what u enjoy is the main thing, u have a better chance of wanting to improve/research nything about it in ur own time which unis tend to like :tongue:

Hope this helps, ask if u wanna know anything else :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

HEYY FELLOW NATALIE,

Thank you very much, that was my argument with History and Classic Civilization. The subjects we do are actually very similar to my GCSE ones, I know we'll probably go into more detail but I kind of get the gist that I don't 'adore' the subjects too much!

Reply 6
Original post by LittlePuddles
HEYY FELLOW NATALIE,

Thank you very much, that was my argument with History and Classic Civilization. The subjects we do are actually very similar to my GCSE ones, I know we'll probably go into more detail but I kind of get the gist that I don't 'adore' the subjects too much!

Yeah my twin felt the same as you about history and is now finding the germany part quite boring however enjoys the tudors bit. If u end up changing ur mind from classic civil to history u won't need to catch up on as much :tongue:

Quick Reply

Latest