The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by cleveradam
The worrying thing is that we don't look like scoring goals. Last season we were able to roll over most teams with many goals. Should take it game by game.

Chelsea vs ManC 27th October
Chelsea vs Arsenal 29th October - League Cup
We should prioritize the win at home against City and I hope Jose doesn't only go for the draw.

Our second team can beat Arsenal's b team so I'm not at all worried

Good thing about our team now is that we have three wide players with genuine pace (Willian, Schurrle, Hazard) so we can definitely play against City on the break which we will be resigned to considering our central midfield options. Our next league game is at home to Cardiff which we should win, then when we play City, a draw will see us in the top four (obviously not our end goal) by the start of fixture week 10

We're only 2 points off Arsenal and I predict Arsenal will drop a few points in December- January so we shouldn't be too far off.
I don't want to go another season without beating City. Hope we get the 3 points but Yaya Touré is going to boss the midfield.

If only Essien's best days weren't in the past...
Original post by The Assassin
I don't want to go another season without beating City. Hope we get the 3 points but Yaya Touré is going to boss the midfield.

If only Essien's best days weren't in the past...

Man for man for power/dribbling/agression the only person that can possibly come close to him is Luiz.

Cech
Ivanovic-Cahill-Terry-Cole
Luiz-Ramires
Oscar-Mata-(Willian/Schurrle/Hazard)-anything such as form/injuries could happen till then.
Torres - hopefully back for that game and in the form he was against Everton.

Lampard may not be up for the physical battle in Midfield and may burn out.
When we played City in the FA Cup semi-final they won the physical battle in midfield which proved crucial in the end. I just jope Jose gives the chance for Luiz to play vs Yaya Toure - big risk but one worth taking.
Original post by 9MmBulletz

Good thing about our team now is that we have three wide players with genuine pace (Willian, Schurrle, Hazard) so we can definitely play against City on the break which we will be resigned to considering our central midfield options. Our next league game is at home to Cardiff which we should win, then when we play City, a draw will see us in the top four (obviously not our end goal) by the start of fixture week 10

We're only 2 points off Arsenal and I predict Arsenal will drop a few points in December- January so we shouldn't be too far off.

So long as we don't have our usual November - Boxing Day lapse in form we should stay in a strong position.
Reply 7044
Original post by Skkc16
I'm sure he will. I remember he already said our youngsters will get a good chance to shine for that league cup game.

Posted from TSR Mobile

He ain't playing no youngster at emirates. Look at the team he played against Swindon.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 7045
Original post by 419
He ain't playing no youngster at emirates. Look at the team he played against Swindon.

Posted from TSR Mobile

http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/football/fa-league-cups/jose-mourinho-to-deploy-under21-side-against-arsenal-in-the-capital-one-cup-with-chelsea-set-to-meet-manchester-city-just-two-days-earlier-8844737.html

Take it up with Jose. Either way even if no one from the u21 features, the point is that he'll be playing a weaker team as he's prioritising the City game which is what the discussion was initially about
Reply 7046
Original post by Skkc16
http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/football/fa-league-cups/jose-mourinho-to-deploy-under21-side-against-arsenal-in-the-capital-one-cup-with-chelsea-set-to-meet-manchester-city-just-two-days-earlier-8844737.html

Take it up with Jose. Either way even if no one from the u21 features, the point is that he'll be playing a weaker team as he's prioritising the City game which is what the discussion was initially about

Weaker team =/= u21. He isn't playing u21. Don't believe him for a second.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Can anyone explain why your away crowd are obsessed with us so much? I know we're rivals but this is borderline disturbing.

Original post by rockrunride
Can anyone explain why your away crowd are obsessed with us so much? I know we're rivals but this is borderline disturbing.

Even when they come to AFC they mostly sing anti-THFC songs which is bizarre. Also severely resent the fact that about 50% of CFC songs are simply rehashed AFC songs. ''The muggy TH went to Rome to see the pope...Who's that team they call the Chelsea'' is a prime example. Should other clubs just start singing ''carefree'' then? Only they appropriate songs so shamelessly.

''John Terry has won the double...''

Really? A song about Sol Cambell clearly relevant to Spurs fans is simply stolen and sung about JT/Spurs.

You can spot CFC away fans a mile off anyway, all stone island gear and menace.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 7049
U mad? :pierre: I think the fact that AVB is at Spurs, they finally have a team that isn't just a flat out embarrassment (borderline), combined with the Willian transfer has brought Spurs into the line of fire more than usual.

Won't even be our B team, expect predominantly reserve/youth players with one or two first teamers who have recently returned to fitness (like Vermaelen, Arteta and Big Balls Bendtner, the Last of the Samurai against West Brom)
Original post by mhsc
U mad? :pierre: I think the fact that AVB is at Spurs, they finally have a team that isn't just a flat out embarrassment (borderline), combined with the Willian transfer has brought Spurs into the line of fire more than usual.

Believe me I am disappointed that Willian is turning out to be alright for Chelsea, but I'm not that bothered. We've signed some quality players that admittedly had an off day yesterday but could take on any PL team if they're having a good one. We were over it when Eriksen came through the door.
Original post by EmperorMustard
Won't even be our B team, expect predominantly reserve/youth players with one or two first teamers who have recently returned to fitness (like Vermaelen, Arteta and Big Balls Bendtner, the Last of the Samurai against West Brom)

That's a b team player at best, let's be real

We'll probably go with

Schwarzer
Azpi Cahill Terry Bertrand
Mikel Lampard
Willian De Bruyne Hazard (just back from injury)
Ba

Which is roughly our second team except 3-4 first team players

What d'you recokin you guys will start with?
I would hope Mourinho plays Aké here. He's easily better than Mikel.

We'll probably go with

Schwarzer
Mikel Lampard
Ba

arsenal doing well in the league and CL, will be a blessing for you guys..

not a chance wenger will play his tired first team, when he is still in good contention for the two trophies he cares about..

I would expect similar to last time.. sometihng like:

fabianski
Jenkinson - Vermalen - Kos - Monreal

Midfield of: a combination of Zelalem, Gnabry, Rosicky, and then who ever didnt start at the weekend..

Either Bendtner up front, or maybe Sanogo if he is fit/not injured..

We'll probably go with

Schwarzer
Mikel Lampard
Ba

I said first team but to be clearer should have said first squad. Vermaelen isn't really first 'team' now either.

I would expect us to field as a I said a mix of reserves/youth and fringe players, maybe one or two first teamers due to injuries and lack of options in certain positions. I think we'll probably field more experience at the back/middle than up front, and in general a slightly stronger team than against WBA. Could see Walcott/Cazorla feature if they're back from injury.

Maybe something along the lines of:

Fabianski/Viviano

Jenkinson/Bellerin - Mertesacker/Sagna - Vermaelen - Monreal

Arteta - Flamini/Wilshere/Zelalem

Miyachi - Gnabry - Eisfeld

Bendtner
Reply 7056

jackie-chan-wtf-face-meme-i9.jpg
Reply 7057
3atb

Spoiler

Spoiler

Striker situation

Spoiler

(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by cleveradam
Man for man for power/dribbling/agression the only person that can possibly come close to him is Luiz.

Cech
Ivanovic-Cahill-Terry-Cole
Luiz-Ramires
Oscar-Mata-(Willian/Schurrle/Hazard)-anything such as form/injuries could happen till then.
Torres - hopefully back for that game and in the form he was against Everton.

Lampard may not be up for the physical battle in Midfield and may burn out.
When we played City in the FA Cup semi-final they won the physical battle in midfield which proved crucial in the end. I just jope Jose gives the chance for Luiz to play vs Yaya Toure - big risk but one worth taking.

Yeah interesting point. He totally bossed us last season and we had no one physical enough to combat him. Shame we sold Matic because I feel he could be a guy we're missing. Maybe Luiz will do a decent job but it is quite a big risk. Need someone who can control the game from deep as well as dictate the tempo well, as well as someone who's quite strong and Rampard can't do that against Touré.

Essien of 2006 would be most welcome. C'mon bison, you've still got it :moon:

At least Kompany is out.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 7059

Too much pressure on the player, do feel he has potential, but he's played like 4 games for us and has only started one PL game. Really he needs to be loaned out, but I guess loaning all our reserves last season didn't work out too well for us. :rolleyes: at least this season we learnt the lesson to buy more players if we loan out players who shouldn't be loaned out...

Latest