The Student Room Group

Bath University vs. Nottingham University

I just wanted to ask people's opinion on whether I should apply to Bath University or Nottingham University and why? I want to do Economics at university and then I wanted to go into a career in the finance industry such as investment banking or accountancy. Thank you.
Hi, I'm currently doing Economics at Nottingham and love it!
It's got a fantastic economics school and the campus is beautiful, but obviously I'm biased and Bath is likely to be good too.

Both universities would give you a solid degree to enter finance with but I'd recommend having a look around them and seeing which one you prefer when you're there. Nottingham do a departmental open day for offer holders where you get to have a good look around the building and talk to some current students.

Hope this helps and good luck.
Reply 2
Both are great for economics. Bath is more focused on maths and statistics (I think you have to have A Level maths). And as the above post said, Nottingham has an amazing campus and uni life whilst also having a strong economics department. Bath is also a lovely town but much quieter so I would really recommend you visit both.

The only thing I would separate from the two is that Bath give you the opportunity to take a year out in industry, which is very advantageous. I know a few people at Bath who did placements at UBS, Goldmans and PwC (whilst earning a very good salary!). As well as looking very good on your CV, impress them then and you could land yourself a full-time offer.
Original post by opop17
I just wanted to ask people's opinion on whether I should apply to Bath University or Nottingham University and why? I want to do Economics at university and then I wanted to go into a career in the finance industry such as investment banking or accountancy. Thank you.

Hi, I am a second year student at the University of Bath.

Bath offers a highly regarded Economics course which is 2nd in The Times and Sunday Times Good University Guide 2014 for Graduate Prospects.

The programme covers a range of core and optional topics such as Macroeconomics, Microeconomics and Modern World Economy.

More information about the content and structure of the course can be found here.

What really sets Bath apart is its strong one-year paid placement opportunities. These include working for companies such as the Bank of England, HM Treasury, HSBC, Morgan Stanley, PricewaterhouseCoopers and Accenture.

The type of work students do during this placement year very often includes investment and retail banking, accountancy and auditing.

More information about the Economics placement years can be found here.

Best of luck with your applications,
Isabelle
Reply 4
Visit both and compare. The atmosphere at each university is very different and so this is important to take into consideration. Also, the locations of each is different and is again important to consider.

Otherwise, both are equally good academically and offer equal opportunities in the world of finance. However, investment banking will be tough from both (unless you aim for middle/back office roles).
Reply 5
Hi
i have got the offers from bath school of management, bristol university, warwick business school and cass business school .I want to pursue masters in management. Being an international student I dont have much idea about universities and their overall ranking. Please help me in deciding the best university .
Reply 6
Original post by smgoel
Hi
i have got the offers from bath school of management, bristol university, warwick business school and cass business school .I want to pursue masters in management. Being an international student I dont have much idea about universities and their overall ranking. Please help me in deciding the best university .

Warwick, obviously. It's a target uni for banking and finance jobs. It has an amazing campus and facilities. Great, caring and supportive faculty. Superior student body, and so on.
Then i'd consider the Cass programme a distant second career-wise), though I think you'd have a much better time going to either Bristol or Bath.

The Warwick graduate programmes are often more expensive, but that's mainly because the Warwick Business School (WBS) is world-class and highly rated. So, if you can afford it, or finances aren't an issue for you, I'd say pack your things and go!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending