The Student Room Group

Rowing Chat

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1240
Original post by Kilaskwiral
Well, good luck :biggrin:

Thanks 😀
Reply 1241
Anyone know what rowing is like at University of Bristol, UCL, Durham, Edinburgh?
Reply 1242
Original post by Amapola
Anyone know what rowing is like at University of Bristol, UCL, Durham, Edinburgh?

I rowed at one of the above Unis, so Pm me if you want details/help etc.

But generally speaking, all the above Uni's are pretty on it as far as rowing goes, Edinburgh not so much, purely because they don't really have a good/big rivers!
What's York like for rowing?
Reply 1244
Original post by mctruffle

I'd say its tier 2, in terms of performance, you dont see them much at the big events, but they have a good river, and to my knowledge their kit is ok too.

Certainly not a bad club.
I'd say its tier 2, in terms of performance, you dont see them much at the big events, but they have a good river, and to my knowledge their kit is ok too.

Thanks, what would you consider the tiers of University rowing to be?
Reply 1246
Thanks, what would you consider the tiers of University rowing to be?

http://c1593.r93.cf3.rackcdn.com/BUCS_Sunday_Div_1.pdf
Reply 1247
Just look at all the results of the big events, so HORR, Henley etc. BUCS is good, but I know for a fact that it's not a huge deal to a few Uni's so the strongest crews sometimes aren't put out.
Reply 1248
Getting to try kit on Friday. Gonna spend sooooo much money!
Reply 1249
I've still got it in me! Did a 2k tonight down the gym, not sure why, guess just to make sure I wasn't slipping too much...

Pulled a 6:23, and as far as training goes, all i do is lift heavy, circuits and boxing!
Original post by Kilaskwiral
Any juniors here? J17-18 area? I get the feeling that most people at this age are quite competitive (whereas at Uni it can be more of a social thing) so they don't want to talk :tongue: I row where it says I'm from ^^

I'm J18! If you're from the club I think you are then your club thrashes us at Chester every year :biggrin: Nice to see another junior on here!

The Ouse is lovely! It's nice and flat, has 20+km of row-able river and is pretty straight. The only downsides are loads of boats and it is quite narrow.
oop J18 here too!
Still 17 though, :s lol

Last year, when I was J17, I did 5 sessions a week, but I could fit it into my schedule because I was only doing AS levels. Now that i'm doing A2s, (and I decided to keep all 4 subjects- Geography, Chemistry, Maths, and Biology) it is much harder for me to fit it in. So I decided to go down to only 1 session a week, to keep me going, and also to take up swimming so that I can keep my fitness levels up. I really want to compete in the NJIRC in March/April - and I want to get below 7minutes. So I need to keep my fitness top notch until then! :smile:
Original post by CurtisDean
oop J18 here too!
Still 17 though, :s lol

Last year, when I was J17, I did 5 sessions a week, but I could fit it into my schedule because I was only doing AS levels. Now that i'm doing A2s, (and I decided to keep all 4 subjects- Geography, Chemistry, Maths, and Biology) it is much harder for me to fit it in. So I decided to go down to only 1 session a week, to keep me going, and also to take up swimming so that I can keep my fitness levels up. I really want to compete in the NJIRC in March/April - and I want to get below 7minutes. So I need to keep my fitness top notch until then! :smile:

Another J18 and a fellow geographer, fancy that! I know what you mean about keeping up with it though, it's so hard! At the moment I only manage about 3 sessions a week and it's even harder to keep motivated now that we're starting gym sessions. There's something so unappealing about a 2k on a dark, cold evening haha!
Reply 1253
Original post by nomdeplumeX2
Another J18 and a fellow geographer, fancy that! I know what you mean about keeping up with it though, it's so hard! At the moment I only manage about 3 sessions a week and it's even harder to keep motivated now that we're starting gym sessions. There's something so unappealing about a 2k on a dark, cold evening haha!

There is never a moment when a 2k seems appealing...!

Do you not go out on the water at weekends? In the past that has been enough motivation for me during the week. But yeah, winter is a pretty chitty time for training, just those nice crisp/frosty mornings that you can spend on the water make it enjoyable!
Original post by Rugby234
There is never a moment when a 2k seems appealing...!

Do you not go out on the water at weekends? In the past that has been enough motivation for me during the week. But yeah, winter is a pretty chitty time for training, just those nice crisp/frosty mornings that you can spend on the water make it enjoyable!

We sometimes can, won't be out this weekend though because the river's flooded. We're on a VERY floody river! Are you a junior as well? And yes, I hate 2ks with a passion! Still not as bad as 30 minutes though (this week's treat..)
Reply 1255
Original post by nomdeplumeX2
We sometimes can, won't be out this weekend though because the river's flooded. We're on a VERY floody river! Are you a junior as well? And yes, I hate 2ks with a passion! Still not as bad as 30 minutes though (this week's treat..)

Fair enough! I was a junior... Ive stopped rowing now, rowed through Uni, did a few GB bits, henley etc then packed it in!
Reply 1256
It was my first time sculling in a single yesterday, and I managed to avoid falling in at all. Not so lucky today and I'm left with some killer bruises and quite possibly some disease from the Thames water :frown:
Reply 1257
Does anyone know the length of The Head of the Float course at Liverpool Victoria Rowing Club?
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by Peanut
Does anyone know the length of the course of The Head of the Float at Liverpool Victoria Rowing Club?

It used to be something like 1400m times 2. You row one way, turn round then row back.

Make that 1200m times 2.
The advert is on the Liverpool Vics website.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 1259
Original post by tiny hobbit
It used to be something like 1400m times 2. You row one way, turn round then row back.

Thank you

Quick Reply

Latest