The Student Room Group

arrow curving left?

what does it mean? I know most of the other ones.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by cooldudeman

Posted from TSR Mobile

I believe \subset is the mathematical shorthand for "subset".

The same goes for ⊄\not\subset being the shorthand for "not a subset".

Then again, it may be something completely different. :redface:
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 2

Posted from TSR Mobile

A curve opened right, the top of the (curved) arrow is on the left
Reply 3
Original post by Khallil
I believe \subset is the mathematical shorthand for "subset".

The same goes for ⊄\not\subset being the shorthand for "not a subset".

Then again, it may be something completely different. :redface:

I'm sure the subset one is this.

Posted from TSR Mobile
I'm sure the subset one is this.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I'm pretty sure that those can be used interchangeably. I've seen various books in which this is the case.
Reply 5

Posted from TSR Mobile

"is a proper subset of" i.e. is contained in, but is not the whole thing (the one with the line underneath allows equality; it's like the distinction beyween < and <=)
Reply 6
Original post by davros
"is a proper subset of" i.e. is contained in, but is not the whole thing (the one with the line underneath allows equality; it's like the distinction beyween < and <=)
I don't think "is a proper subset of" is standard notation, although it is sometimes used like that.

The standard latex symbol for a proper subset is \subsetneq \subsetneq.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 7
Original post by DFranklin
I don't think "is a proper subset of" is standard notation, although it is sometimes used like that.

The standard latex symbol for a proper subset is \subsetneq \subsetneq.

really? I'm sure we used to have 2 symbols available to make the distinction, but perhaps I'm misremembering :smile:

Edit: I've just grabbed a book at random from my cupboard - Kevin Houston's "How to Think Like a Mathematician" - and I'm not imagining things: his notation guide shows the symbol with the bar under it to mean "is a subset of", and the one without a bar under it to mean "is a subset of (but is not equal to)".
(edited 10 years ago)
A not so random book:

Naive Set Theory by Paul Halmos:

To show that A=BA=B we show ABA\subset B and BAB\subset A

No lines.

Usage varies, and what's in favour may evolve with time and depend on what material is being presented, where they were taught, etc., which is why mathematicians must define their terms/symbols.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 9
Original post by ghostwalker
A not so random book:

Naive Set Theory by Paul Halmos:

To show that A=BA=B we show ABA\subset B and BAB\subset A

No lines.

Usage varies, and what's in favour may evolve with time and depend on what material is being presented, where they were taught, etc., which is why mathematicians must define their terms/symbols.

Yeah - I've found an analysis book that confirms my memory but offers DFranklin's suggestion as an alternative; also Stewart & Tall's "Foundations" gives them the other way round!

Always best to check what convention your lecturer is using in these circumstances :smile:
Reply 10
I'm really confused because they specifically said the one with the line is the subset one. they never mentioned the one without the line.

if IN is written alone, what does it mean?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 11
It is sometimes used for proper subset, and sometimes for subset. I'd say the latter is probably more common, and it's rarely used where the distinction is important and non-obvious.
Original post by davros
really? I'm sure we used to have 2 symbols available to make the distinction, but perhaps I'm misremembering :smile:To be clear, I meant it's not used universally enough to be considered a standard, rather than odd enough to be considered unusual or wrong.

My personal preference is always for non-ambiguity even if it requires slightly more writing, and so I would use \subseteq (\subseteq) and \subsetneq (\subsetneq)

Quick Reply

Latest