The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by jam277
Too much pressure on the player, do feel he has potential, but he's played like 4 games for us and has only started one PL game. Really he needs to be loaned out, but I guess loaning all our reserves last season didn't work out too well for us. :rolleyes: at least this season we learnt the lesson to buy more players if we loan out players who shouldn't be loaned out...

Meh, this is the capital one cup. Don't think there'll be too much pressure on him and it'll be a good chance for him to get a bit of experience and show what he can do. Need some kind of remedy to our midfield problems until Jan at least.

And yes, I agree.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 7061
Original post by The Assassin
Meh, this is the capital one cup. Don't think there'll be too much pressure on him and it'll be a good chance for him to get a bit of experience and show what he can do. Need some kind of remedy to our midfield problems until Jan at least.

And yes, at least I agree.

I mean in saying he's better than mikel as he's played once or twice. But play him in the C1C that's fine. Tbh I'd rather us use essien in that game. I think essien needs to be used more anyway and if he gets into form maybe play in the city match.
Original post by jam277
I mean in saying he's better than mikel as he's played once or twice. But play him in the C1C that's fine. Tbh I'd rather us use essien in that game. I think essien needs to be used more anyway and if he gets into form maybe play in the city match.

I'm putting too much pressure on him by saying he's better than Mikel? :tongue:

Yeah I suppose. Although I believe the match vs Arsenal is after the City match so there aren't any games we can play him in to get him back to form (Cardiff? I don't know if that's before or after and I can't be bothered to look it up lol).
Reply 7063
Original post by The Assassin
I'm putting too much pressure on him by saying he's better than Mikel? :tongue:

Yeah I suppose. Although I believe the match vs Arsenal is after the City match so there aren't any games we can play him in to get him back to form (Cardiff? I don't know if that's before or after and I can't be bothered to look it up lol).

Sorry if that doesn't make sense. I believe that there's a mentality that people/fans expect too much of young players. So when they don't do as well as people would like eventually people turn on them. Take for example ramsey at arsenal to replace fabregas, or wilshere for england. It was also rather prevalent in the sturridge and lukaku stories at chelsea.

Didn't look at the fixture list, forgot about the international break.
(edited 10 years ago)
Good to see we're going for a central/defensive mids. Spent so long dealing with ams/wingers we neglected that area.

Our team is pretty damn unbalanced tbh which is a tad surprising. When are we going need new (young) CBs, LBs, strikers as well as CMs? Not sure about how well our loanees are doing but Piazon seems to be the standout as well as Hazard. Shame they both play on the wing or as an AM >_>.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 7066

The table at this stage of the season last year. Just goes to show how little the table actually means at this stage (and how badly our November crumble ****ed us :frown:).
After that annoying United game we seemed to fall apart.
Original post by Nickini

The table at this stage of the season last year. Just goes to show how little the table actually means at this stage (and how badly our November crumble ****ed us :frown:).

But sure Chelsea had a really easy start to last season?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2012%E2%80%9313_Chelsea_F.C._season

Wigan
Reading
Newcastle
QPR
Stoke
Arsenal
Norwich

Those were your first 7 games last season..
Reply 7069
Original post by Zerforax
But sure Chelsea had a really easy start to last season?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2012%E2%80%9313_Chelsea_F.C._season

Wigan
Reading
Newcastle
QPR
Stoke
Arsenal
Norwich

Those were your first 7 games last season..
What's that got to do with anything?
Original post by Nickini
What's that got to do with anything?

Err it explains why you had such a good start to the season last year..? Which is the table you posted..?
Reply 7071
Err it explains why you had such a good start to the season last year..? Which is the table you posted..?
Except my point was how little the table means at this stage of the season, not "hey guys weren't we doing well last year", I would have thought that was obvious given I actually said that right below where I posted said table...
Original post by Nickini
Except my point was how little the table means at this stage of the season, not "hey guys weren't we doing well last year", I would have thought that was obvious given I actually said that right below where I posted said table...

I think you can read a little more into the table if you bother to look at the fixtures.

Last season, Chelsea had, what looked liked, a great start. When you look at the fixtures, you can see that they had a lot of 'easier' fixtures and therefore in turn, they were going to have more 'harder' fixtures later.

Like with this season, while it looks like Arsenal and Liverpool are a little ahead, they actually have both mainly had easier fixtures so the test will be more until the start of January when they've played every team at least once.
Reply 7073
I think you can read a little more into the table if you bother to look at the fixtures.

Last season, Chelsea had, what looked liked, a great start. When you look at the fixtures, you can see that they had a lot of 'easier' fixtures and therefore in turn, they were going to have more 'harder' fixtures later.

Like with this season, while it looks like Arsenal and Liverpool are a little ahead, they actually have both mainly had easier fixtures so the test will be more until the start of January when they've played every team at least once.
Yeah, that was the point I was making by posting it...positions on the table mean very little at this stage of the season (for the third time...). I don't understand what point you're trying to make.
Original post by Nickini
Yeah, that was the point I was making by posting it...positions on the table mean very little at this stage of the season (for the third time...). I don't understand what point you're trying to make.

:facepalm:

Frankly you might as well say positions in the table mean nothing until after the 38th game and we shouldn't bother looking at the table.

My point was - you posted a snapshot of last season where Chelsea had a good start to the season and then finished poorly i.e. saying the table is meaningless.

I'm saying that the table can be broken and deciphered to show what the relative position means at this moment in time.

For example, people are saying Man Utd are having a terrible start to the season but my interpretation is that they're having only a slightly below average start but they have had a lot of tough fixtures to start with.
Reply 7075
Looking at our results so far versus last season, we've actually done worse in most instances. We beat Utd at Old Trafford last season 1-0, beat Spurs 4-2 at White Hart Lane, beat Everton 2-1 at Goodison. Our only improvement is against Fulham which we drew 0-0 last season.

Still feeling fine about our season, I think this Jose team will be better at picking up points against the teams you should never drop points to than our team has been for the last couple of years. And going for draws away from home against top clubs is perfectly sensible.
Reply 7076
:facepalm:

Frankly you might as well say positions in the table mean nothing until after the 38th game and we shouldn't bother looking at the table.

My point was - you posted a snapshot of last season where Chelsea had a good start to the season and then finished poorly i.e. saying the table is meaningless.

I'm saying that the table can be broken and deciphered to show what the relative position means at this moment in time.

For example, people are saying Man Utd are having a terrible start to the season but my interpretation is that they're having only a slightly below average start but they have had a lot of tough fixtures to start with.
A facepalm emoticon? Sick guy.

I was posting the table because I found it interesting to compare and because it shows how little the table means at this stage. Tbf your first response reads more like you trying to downplay our good start last season, obviously teams have different starts to the season, that goes without saying, and supports my point that there's no point getting concerned/excited over the table with 7 games played.

This is literally the most pointless discussion I've had here; you seem to agree with what I'm saying just are determined to argue for the sake of it.

EDIT: In hindsight I was being a massive hypocritical dick here :facepalm:
(edited 10 years ago)
Just found out you guys have a player in your youth team called Nortei Nortey :coma:
We definitely should not be making any predictions for the title yet. Hopefully under Jose we won't have our annual 'bad moment' in which we fall out of the running.
Original post by mhsc
Looking at our results so far versus last season, we've actually done worse in most instances. We beat Utd at Old Trafford last season 1-0, beat Spurs 4-2 at White Hart Lane, beat Everton 2-1 at Goodison. Our only improvement is against Fulham which we drew 0-0 last season.

Still feeling fine about our season, I think this Jose team will be better at picking up points against the teams you should never drop points to than our team has been for the last couple of years. And going for draws away from home against top clubs is perfectly sensible.

Tbh, when we beat United they had already won the league, plus the Everton game this year we should've taken a point from (at least). Spurs were lucky we didn't start with Mata because he found so much space in the second half. We could've scored 3-4 against Spurs had we been clinical enough.

As you said, we've only played 7 and we're only 2 points off top. Both Arsenal and Liverpool have difficult fixtures to come

Latest