The Student Room Group

EDL leader Tommy Robinson quits group

English Defence League leader and founder Tommy Robinson has left the group, saying he has concerns over the "dangers of far-right extremism".

The EDL organises protests across the UK against "radical Islam".

Mr Robinson said it was still his aim to "counter Islamist ideology", although "not with violence but with better, democratic ideas".

His EDL co-leader Kevin Carroll has also announced he is leaving the group, which was formed in 2009.

Mr Robinson's personal assistant told the BBC that no replacement for him had been found and that 12 senior figures in total were going.

Archive: Tommy Robinson spoke to the BBC about his life in June 2013
'No longer productive'
The EDL has organised marches and demonstrations in several cities across the UK, which have seen sometimes violent confrontations with anti-fascism campaigners.

The decision of Mr Robinson and Mr Carroll to leave follows discussions with the Quilliam group, which describes itself as a "counter-extremism think tank".

Mr Robinson said: "I have been considering this move for a long time because I recognise that, though street demonstrations have brought us to this point, they are no longer productive.

"I acknowledge the dangers of far-right extremism and the ongoing need to counter Islamist ideology not with violence but with better, democratic ideas."

Quilliam said it hoped Mr Robinson would "invest his energy and commitment in countering extremism of all kinds, supporting the efforts to bring along his former followers and encouraging his critique of Islamism as well as his concern with far-right extremism".

Chairman Maajid Nawaz said: "As well as being a very positive change for the United Kingdom, this is a very proud moment for Quilliam. This represents not a change but a continuation for us, as challenging extremism of all kinds forms the basis of our work.

"We have been able to show that Britain stands together against extremism regardless of political views and hope to continue supporting Tommy and Kevin in their journey to counter Islamism and neo-Nazi extremism."

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-24442953

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Good riddance.
12 leaders have left. I wonder if they break up.
Back to football hooliganism they go.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 3
This is hilarious lmao.

Quilliam's where the money's @ £millions of tax payers going in to "tackle Islamic extremism" :rolleyes:
(edited 10 years ago)
Hopefully the other 35,000 morons will resign as well.
Reply 5
Dont let the door hit ya on the way out tom.
Never thought I'd say this, but I respect the guy for recognising that his organisation has gone (/has been always) overboard.
Never thought I'd see the day where I'd have respect for Tommy Robinson, admitting that something you've put years of your life into has become nothing more than an extremist group and then walking away can't be an easy thing to do.
Reply 8
Original post by Study
12 leaders have left. I wonder if they break up.Back to football hooliganism they go.
I doubt edl wll break up unfortunatly, not until there is a more mainstream review of islamist influence and poor integration into modern society by muslims. Its clear the scale of the political arm of the edl grew so fast and to a scale beyond Robinsons capability, he was not able to deal with the level of scrutiny that comes with being the leader of such a large and public organisation. he is just a simple football hooligan after all, they are not equipped to handle scrutiny and public debate.
Reply 9
I like Tommy and i'm glad he's moved away from the mindless hooligans that constitute a majority of the protesters.

He's got his heart in the right place and I support some of the things he says.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by justanotherposter
Never thought I'd see the day where I'd have respect for Tommy Robinson, admitting that something you've put years of your life into has become nothing more than an extremist group and then walking away can't be an easy thing to do.

No need to post sense mate :confused:.

Negative posts only please.
When someone is invested in a group, it's a very tough thing to break away from it. Most of humanity would rather isolate themselves via cognitive dissonance and fall further and further into extremism. So whatever the guy's views are, respect on him for at least realising that the level of extremism that the EDL holds is toxic, and those aren't the methods to get things done.

This is no statement on what political position I hold, by the way; I have disagreed with people all across the political spectrum who believe that violence is a legitimate method of social change, and that emotion can be used to work out what is appropriate above or in place of rationality.
Original post by lightburns
When someone is invested in a group, it's a very tough thing to break away from it. Most of humanity would rather isolate themselves via cognitive dissonance and fall further and further into extremism. So whatever the guy's views are, respect on him for at least realising that the level of extremism that the EDL holds is toxic, and those aren't the methods to get things done.

This is no statement on what political position I hold, by the way; I have disagreed with people all across the political spectrum who believe that violence is a legitimate method of social change, and that emotion can be used to work out what is appropriate above or in place of rationality.

Might have respected him if he'd realised that before setting up the EDL.
Reply 13
Original post by lightburns
When someone is invested in a group, it's a very tough thing to break away from it. Most of humanity would rather isolate themselves via cognitive dissonance and fall further and further into extremism. So whatever the guy's views are, respect on him for at least realising that the level of extremism that the EDL holds is toxic, and those aren't the methods to get things done.This is no statement on what political position I hold, by the way; I have disagreed with people all across the political spectrum who believe that violence is a legitimate method of social change, and that emotion can be used to work out what is appropriate above or in place of rationality.
according to news reports, robinson want sot continue attacking extremeist islam, but without the backward foot hooligan support that edl attracts - and interstingly with the assistance of Quiliam , which was set up by two former pro-islamist recruiters, that have now become vocal activists against islamism
Reply 14
Hmm. Let's see what he means by countering extremism before lauding him a hero.
http://news.sky.com/templates/watch-live

Press conference live.

Cut him off. :mad:
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 16
gee i wonder why..
Reply 17
As much as I hate to say it, his statement makes him seem quite reasonable.

Not sure I trust that he genuinely means it though.
Hate to say it but good on him, if he's genuine.
Original post by Che556358
according to news reports, robinson want sot continue attacking extremeist islam, but without the backward foot hooligan support that edl attracts - and interstingly with the assistance of Quiliam , which was set up by two former pro-islamist recruiters, that have now become vocal activists against islamism

They're not again Islamism. They support the dominance and spread of Islam which is the goal of Islamists. Islamism isn't about blowing up trains and buses every now and then.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending