The Student Room Group

Oxford MAT 2013/2014

Scroll to see replies

Original post by IceKidd
hardly something that people arent doing....making sure u know whats on there is just making sure you know c1/c2

You're ignoring the fact that a significant portion of Maths applicants are not UK-based, something I specifically mentioned in my post. Non-UK applicants have no idea what "making sure you know c1/c2" entails. Also, judging by the amount of posts in this thread asking "Do I need to be able to do X?" "What do we need to know beside the A-levels?", I thought this might be helpful to confused UK applicants as well.

Good luck with your application!
Reply 321
Original post by dutchmaths
You're ignoring the fact that a significant portion of Maths applicants are not UK-based, something I specifically mentioned in my post. Non-UK applicants have no idea what "making sure you know c1/c2" entails. Also, judging by the amount of posts in this thread asking "Do I need to be able to do X?" "What do we need to know beside the A-levels?", I thought this might be helpful to confused UK applicants as well.

Good luck with your application!

Fair enough i didnt realise there are many non UK applicants...have u got any statistics for this...it would be nice to know just how many are non-UK.
Original post by journeyinwards
Right on target!

The only thing not covered is the syllabus for questions 5,6&7 and rightly so. It would be difficult to generalise those questions which rely mostly on thinking skills. I guess, these questions are meant to be done on the spot, without practising.

Anyway, any other resources that you know of? I've covered all the topics in my school curriculum itself, but wanted a more general taste of questions in the MAT style.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Question 5 is my favourite in each of the papers I've tried so far, it really is about thinking skills and probably the question that requires the most creativity, although they all do.

Something I'm doing right now is looking at the papers I've practiced (got 65, 76 and 87 so far), closely examining the things I did wrong and trying to set down general rules as to how to handle such a question, though the more creative the question, the harder this is to do. I'm already fairly confident about the test (on the one where I got 65 I hadn't studied the full British curriculum), I'm hoping to get >80 so that they'll let me in even if I'm not amazing at the interview.

Good luck with your application! Are you applying for just Maths? Have you set your mind on a college?
Original post by IceKidd
Fair enough i didnt realise there are many non UK applicants...have u got any statistics for this...it would be nice to know just how many are non-UK.

This page puts the number at 31.4% of all applications and 16.6% of all acceptances, which I have to say is a slightly depressing statistic if you're an international applicant like me. It differs heavily by country though, my country has an acceptance rate on par with that of the UK :smile:
Reply 324
This page puts the number at 31.4% of all applications and 16.6% of all acceptances, which I have to say is a slightly depressing statistic if you're an international applicant like me. It differs heavily by country though, my country has an acceptance rate on par with that of the UK :smile:

What countries that?

Thats nearly 1/3! I have to say I did not realise it was as high as that! Fierce competition hehe!
The stats for India are rather dismal. Less than 10% :]
Will I be at a disadvantage given that I don't have A Levels/IB? I have the American APs, SAT and the Indian CBSE.

Posted from TSR Mobile
I'm planning to sit MAT this year, applying to study Computer Science at Oxford.
I have no means of sitting the MAT here in my home country though...what can I do about it?
Original post by examman123
I'm planning to sit MAT this year, applying to study Computer Science at Oxford.
I have no means of sitting the MAT here in my home country though...what can I do about it?

Hi. Delighted to hear you're planning on applying.

I assume that you've had a check on this website to see if there's an open test centre near you?

Most students will sit the test within their own school. If you have a look at this page you’ll find guidance on how your current school can sign up to become a
test centre: http://www.cs.ox.ac.uk/ugadmissions/how_to_apply/ucas.html
It’s a very simple process. The Admissions Testing Service will then be able to send the test paper to your school. You can sit the test there and it will be returned to us for marking.

Hope that helps.
(edited 10 years ago)
The stats for India are rather dismal. Less than 10% :]
Will I be at a disadvantage given that I don't have A Levels/IB? I have the American APs, SAT and the Indian CBSE.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I can't imagine a situation where we would take one candidate above another because of the education system they had previously studied under - that would hardly be fair. We will be much more interested in how you get on in the MAT, and at interview.

It's only in the last year or so that we've started accepting the Indian year 12 qualification as a basis to apply with, so the statistics may well have been thrown out a bit by that change.
Original post by Oxford Computer Science Dept
I can't imagine a situation where we would take one candidate above another because of the education system they had previously studied under - that would hardly be fair. We will be much more interested in how you get on in the MAT, and at interview.

It's only in the last year or so that we've started accepting the Indian year 12 qualification as a basis to apply with, so the statistics may well have been thrown out a bit by that change.

Oh alright, I get it now. From what I understand, the MAT & interview(s) serve as equal platforms to judge applicants from different backgrounds, right?

Also, I have multiple qualifications (CBSE+AP+SAT Reasoning+SAT Subject Tests), ALL of which are accepted by the University. In case I get an offer, which qualification will the condition be based upon?

Thanks!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Oh alright, I get it now. From what I understand, the MAT & interview(s) serve as equal platforms to judge applicants from different backgrounds, right?

Yes, they really help with that.

Also, I have multiple qualifications (CBSE+AP+SAT Reasoning+SAT Subject Tests), ALL of which are accepted by the University. In case I get an offer, which qualification will the condition be based upon?

In that kind of more unusual situation the tutors will come up with something that's sensible for the candidate in question. There's no hard and fast rule.
Yes, they really help with that.

In that kind of more unusual situation the tutors will come up with something that's sensible for the candidate in question. There's no hard and fast rule.

Thanks for the information! It does help when it comes sort of officially from the Uni itself :smile: :P

Posted from TSR Mobile
Thanks for the information! It does help when it comes sort of officially from the Uni itself :smile: :P

Posted from TSR Mobile

No problem at all :smile:
Good luck with the application.
No problem at all :smile:
Good luck with the application.

Thank you!

Question 5 is my favourite in each of the papers I've tried so far, it really is about thinking skills and probably the question that requires the most creativity, although they all do.

Something I'm doing right now is looking at the papers I've practiced (got 65, 76 and 87 so far), closely examining the things I did wrong and trying to set down general rules as to how to handle such a question, though the more creative the question, the harder this is to do. I'm already fairly confident about the test (on the one where I got 65 I hadn't studied the full British curriculum), I'm hoping to get >80 so that they'll let me in even if I'm not amazing at the interview.

Good luck with your application! Are you applying for just Maths? Have you set your mind on a college?

Good scores! Got 87 on the 2008 paper and 65 on the 2012 paper?
Successful applicants over the past 6 years have been getting ~70-75. (71.92 Avg)

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 334
im retaking a levels this year as i got A*BB and im applying to imperial for maths and stats for finance, anyone else in the same situation? does anyone know if they interview everyone... and the minimum marks in the mat to get an interview/offer.
Reply 335
also, are results published? i heard you can request your scores from oxford/imperial
Reply 336
Original post by cem101
im retaking a levels this year as i got A*BB and im applying to imperial for maths and stats for finance, anyone else in the same situation? does anyone know if they interview everyone... and the minimum marks in the mat to get an interview/offer.

I'm also a gap year applicant to Imperial for maths, however I'm not resitting.

I don't think they interview.

In terms of minimum marks - no one knows. It'll depend on how well everyone else who applies does on the day. It;s likely they'll then use it to rank applicants.

Results are not published.
Reply 337
can someone help me with question 3.v) and 4.ii) on the paper below
thanks in advance.
and how would you write explanations if necessary in the exam.

https://workspace.imperial.ac.uk/mathematics/Public/admissions/Sioned/Past%20Test%20and%20Solutions%202007.pdf
Reply 338
Original post by cem101

Can you even apply given that you're resitting? I was under the impression your chances would be slim to none if you take three years to complete A-Levels...

EDIT: Sorry, just realised you may have mitigating circumstances, as I'd imagine that would allow you to apply.
Reply 339
Original post by Noble.
Can you even apply given that you're resitting? I was under the impression your chances would be slim to none if you take three years to complete A-Levels...

EDIT: Sorry, just realised you may have mitigating circumstances, as I'd imagine that would allow you to apply.

well, i mean i got D's in my final 2 exams becuase i was bedridden, clear anomalous results. pretty lame excuse i know but what can i do.
and besides my other ums were quite good so im banking on that and imperial is my highest one.

Quick Reply

Latest