The Student Room Group

Liverpool Medicine (A100) Applicants 2014

Scroll to see replies

Hi, I know this is a different question, but do Liverpool and Lancaster accept applications from students who are in their A2 year? (i.e.: with predicted grades)? It's because they don't say that on their admissions policy, just that they want A Levels at AAA.
Original post by islandboy
Just wondering if I have a chance here
Gcses 2A* 5As 2bs
a level predictions AAA
****load of work experience and volunteering

You would be scored 14/18 for GCSE, those with higher scores would get preference even if you have a good personal statement so its a very risky choice.
[QUOTE="flamegoblin0;44624503"]
Original post by medicdreamer
You would get 17/18 for GCSE's which is good enough, the rest depends on how good your personal statement is.[/QUOs it top 9 gcses?

Yes and i think they have to include english, maths and sciences.
Reply 63
Original post by medicdreamer
You would be scored 14/18 for GCSE, those with higher scores would get preference even if you have a good personal statement so its a very risky choice.

It'd be 16, not 14.

Original post by MedSchoolHope4
Hi, I know this is a different question, but do Liverpool and Lancaster accept applications from students who are in their A2 year? (i.e.: with predicted grades)? It's because they don't say that on their admissions policy, just that they want A Levels at AAA.

Yes they do, I'm pretty sure all undergraduate courses do.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 64
thinking of applying here but i've got a gcse score of 15, kind of risky :/

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 65
I went to the open day yesterday and really loved it. I really want to go here now.
Reply 66
the website says those with higher academics will be at an advantage, does that mean that having 8A*s will be better than 8 A's- given they score A and A* the same.
Also do Liverpool look at AS results?
Reply 67
Hellooo!
So I'm applying for medicine at Liverpool and just wondering what you guys think my chances are
GCSE: 4A*, 3A, 3B - B in Eng Lang but A in Eng Lit
AS level: Maths A, Chemistry B , Biology B, Health B
Predicted Grades: AAA
UKCAT: 657.5 average

Most work experience in nursing home. NEED ADVICEEE!
Reply 68
I am a gap year applicant

I have 4A* 4A B in my gcse's

and A*AA in my a levels

However 2 of my GCSE were in CIDA which liverpool only accept with 1 point, meaning i am left with 14 points

What are my chances anyone?
hi all,

As a resit reapplicant who did not sit Chemistry during sixth form but is now studying for it in one year, my situation is a bit weird/frustrating/restrictive/****

Just wondering if you think I'll have much of a shot at an interview in Liverpool

GCSE 6A 5B
A2 ABBc (Biology, Geography, Technology, Psychology)
Resitting one module of Technology
Sitting new Chemistry A Level in one year

Working full time as a home care assistant during my gap year among an otherwise average (by medical standards) personal statement.

Sucks they don't use UKCAT as it's my strength :frown:

thanks
James
Hi guys,

I read that they only accept either one of maths or further maths. I have completed full maths in lower sixth and will be doing further maths full in upper sixth alongside biology and chemistry. Do you think that will be fine?
Is a score of 17/18 good for GCSEs or do they only take applicants with a full 18/18 score?
Original post by anonymous002
Hi guys,

I read that they only accept either one of maths or further maths. I have completed full maths in lower sixth and will be doing further maths full in upper sixth alongside biology and chemistry. Do you think that will be fine?

That should be fine I think you can count your AS level as Further Maths and your full A-levels will be Biology, Chemistry, and Maths. You might want to email them and ask if that's fine just to confirm.
Reply 73
Original post by TheMan17
the website says those with higher academics will be at an advantage, does that mean that having 8A*s will be better than 8 A's- given they score A and A* the same.
Also do Liverpool look at AS results?

A*s and As are the same at GCSE in terms of point score so have straight A*s will not give you more of an advantage over someone with straight As. They do look at AS results but not much weighting is put on them.
Original post by med.x
Hellooo!
So I'm applying for medicine at Liverpool and just wondering what you guys think my chances are
GCSE: 4A*, 3A, 3B - B in Eng Lang but A in Eng Lit
AS level: Maths A, Chemistry B , Biology B, Health B
Predicted Grades: AAA
UKCAT: 657.5 average

Most work experience in nursing home. NEED ADVICEEE!

You need to calculate your point score at GCSE (2 points for A/A*, 1 point for a B) in top nine subjects to include all core ones (Maths, english language and sciences)
Try to fulfill the criteria of what they look for in the PS as best as you can. Although you may only have most of your work experience from a nursing home, As long as you reflect on it and show what you've learnt in relation to medicine it would still be very beneficial.

Original post by Brightbud
I am a gap year applicant

I have 4A* 4A B in my gcse's

and A*AA in my a levels

However 2 of my GCSE were in CIDA which liverpool only accept with 1 point, meaning i am left with 14 points

What are my chances anyone?

Well the lower your point score the less chance you have of getting an interview. Liverpool do ask for a minimum of 15 points and applicants with that are still unlikely to get intiverviews. I'm not sure but having your A level results already may help but it's still risky.

Original post by mastermccourt
hi all,

As a resit reapplicant who did not sit Chemistry during sixth form but is now studying for it in one year, my situation is a bit weird/frustrating/restrictive/****

Just wondering if you think I'll have much of a shot at an interview in Liverpool

GCSE 6A 5B
A2 ABBc (Biology, Geography, Technology, Psychology)
Resitting one module of Technology
Sitting new Chemistry A Level in one year

Working full time as a home care assistant during my gap year among an otherwise average (by medical standards) personal statement.

Sucks they don't use UKCAT as it's my strength :frown:

thanks
James

I was in the same position (didn't get the required grades at A level and also didn't have chemistry so did it in one year during my gap year). If all your A grades at GCSE are in core subjects that would mean your best possible point score at GCSE would be 15 which is the minimum requirement. You also do need a B in your fourth AS so you may potentially be asked to retake the C (assuming they don't allow your other full A level to compensate). Your GCSE results will probably hinder your application the most and the chances of getting an interview are low unfortunately. However since you say your UKCAT is your strength why don't you try contacting either exeter or Plymouth and asking if they'd accept an application?

Original post by nukethemaly
Is a score of 17/18 good for GCSEs or do they only take applicants with a full 18/18 score?

17 is still a great score, majority of those interviewed will have 17s and 18s.
Original post by myyrh
However since you say your UKCAT is your strength why don't you try contacting either exeter or Plymouth and asking if they'd accept an application?

Thanks, Liverpool's only really in my choices because I don't have many places to apply to due to resits. Exeter is one of my choices. Plymouth would only allow one dropped grade, but provided I get the grades this year, they will allow me to reapply with achieved grades.
Reply 75
Does an A in FSMQ Additional Maths count as 2 points for GCSEs?
Reply 76
Original post by K_o_46
Does an A in FSMQ Additional Maths count as 2 points for GCSEs?

They only accept one maths GCSE, see here.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 77
Hey guys ...
So even though i got a good UKCAT (760) i am considering Liverpool.
But at the last moment i am stuck between liverpool and Sheffield.
Why Should i choose Liverpool ?

1. How good is the PBL course (what support do you get and how many people per group) ?
2. What is the teaching of anatomy like, dissection how often?
3. How is the course structured i mean --- are pbl sessions supported by lectures ? and tutorials ?
4. How many lectures a week ?

Thanks for your help :smile:
How many places for international students?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 79
Do liverpool accept modular resits within 2 years of a level??

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending