The Student Room Group

History of art degree level

I am currently studying A2 Level English Literature, A2 History and A2 Mathematics. I've seen a lot of universities offering the course of History of Art combined with English Literature. I really need to know if, with the A Levels I have will the course be manageable and will i actually understand it( as in what does the course "History Of Art" consist of exactly) Hopefully someone can provide me with some sort of idea if this is a risk worth taking(hopefully from experience) thanks so much.
Original post by nayy_94
I am currently studying A2 Level English Literature, A2 History and A2 Mathematics. I've seen a lot of universities offering the course of History of Art combined with English Literature. I really need to know if, with the A Levels I have will the course be manageable and will i actually understand it( as in what does the course "History Of Art" consist of exactly) Hopefully someone can provide me with some sort of idea if this is a risk worth taking(hopefully from experience) thanks so much.

Welcome to the site! You're unlikely to find help for this in the Chat forum - that forum isn't really designed for specific questions like this. :tongue: I've moved your thread to the Universities forums, where you should be able to find others who can help you. :smile:
Reply 2
Have confidence in yourself if you feel you have a passion for art history and you read about art history look at the university prospectuses and apply to the ones that interest you the most. Having done history you will have a good understanding about how to research art history. There's a thread here for 2014 Art History applicants - put yourself down and talk to people who are also applying, you should get some good advice - hopefully.
Reply 3
Original post by nayy_94
I am currently studying A2 Level English Literature, A2 History and A2 Mathematics. I've seen a lot of universities offering the course of History of Art combined with English Literature. I really need to know if, with the A Levels I have will the course be manageable and will i actually understand it (as in what does the course "History Of Art" consist of exactly) Hopefully someone can provide me with some sort of idea if this is a risk worth taking(hopefully from experience) thanks so much.

I have started a degree in History of Art this year, although I did it at A Level the majority of the other people on my course didn't and I don't feel I have any advantage over them. In some ways I think it could be an advantage to have a 'clean slate' because you will be open to new ideas without having too many preconceptions.

If you're doing English Literature and History then you would probably be able to manage History of Art because they are simaliar subjects in many ways. One of the modules I'm doing at the moment looks at the way art critics construct their arguments and how efective their style of writing is. Next term we're doing a module that looks at the history surrounding works of art.

I think it doesn't actually matter too much what A Levels you do for Art History, I've even heard of people getting and doing well in it who did only sciences at A Level. You can show your interests and ideas in your perosnal statement.

I think If you have a real interest in art then its definately worth taking the risk. The fact that you want to do joint honours might make it less daunting because you will be doing something familiar at least, maybe if you need a bit of time to find your feet in History of Art doing well in English will give you confidence to hang in there. I can imagine that to begin with it may seem a bit daunting because on my course they have thrown us in at the deep end and I feel there is a lot I don't understand and a lot more to learn but don't let this out you off if you interested it will be worth it.

Quick Reply

Latest