The Student Room Group

Medicine 2014 Applicants

Scroll to see replies

Reply 800
Anyone PLzz HELPPPP !! I am an international student. I have the following grades GCSEs 6 A*s 1 A 1 B Alevels 4A*s (chem, phy, bio, math) UKCAT 662.5 total 2650. I am enrolled in school of pharmacy some ppl advised me that I shall not mention that I'm enrolled in this school as it would disadvantage my application. Do u think I should state that as they will find out through the visa and all. or I shld just play stupid and apply normally to uni's that don't accept withdrawn applicants ?? PLZZZZZZZZZZ I NEED THIS ASAP
Reply 801
Could someone please come up with a list of medical schools that WILL look at the situational judgement section of the UCKAT this year?
Reply 802
Original post by 123456789012
Hey there, can I ask you a question please? I have done my UKCAT a few days ago. The problem is that I don't think that I gave any of my UCAS details to Pearson Vue, and I don't know whether my UKCAT score will be sent or not. What's the best thing to do?

You're right. We don't give Pearson our UCAS details. But they have an automatic method of sending the unis we choose our UKCAT result. Don't ask me how though! In my case my teacher kept banging on about how you had to put your score on UCAS apply even though I knew the Pearson company would automatically in their own way send my unis my score. Don't worry, Pearson say that they do send it to your chosen universities which request it. But if it makes you feel better, you can always put your score on your application under your qualifications. "Clinical aptitude test" heading will come up. That's what I did. But basically, you don't need to because Pearson VUE will DEFINITELY send your score to your unis. :smile:
Reply 803
Original post by Shiam
Hi guys :ciao: :smile: Really need your help !!

I came from India in 2011 and now I am applying for medicine as a home student, so most of the uni's don't want me to hold any GCSES or either will consider my equivalent Indian qualifications (except Cardiff, Manchester and Birmingham)..

I got UKCAT score of 702.5, with 430 in VR ( so cant apply to St. George, Plymouth, Hull York and Nottingham)

I did GCSES and my AS level in a single year and got 4A*S, 2A in GCSEs and AAAA in AS level. I am predicted A*A*A*A in my A2s..

Which uni's should I apply to ??

Any help is really appreciated :chaplin::chaplin:

Help please :smile:
Reply 804
Original post by SavannaC
I put 1 for all of mine :/ was that incorrect?

Posted from TSR Mobile

No don't worry that's fine, but its just less hassle to leave it blank tbh. Don't worry though :biggrin:
Reply 805
Original post by MS Miz
thanks! Glad someone has finally cleared that up for me!

Aha no worries mate, on UCAS if you actually press on the question mark next to point of entry it syas 'Leave blank and you will be entered for first year'! But if you put 1 it should come out as the same thing anwyay but yeah we're better off listening to UCAS :biggrin:
should i apply to Newcastle with a UKCAT of 707.5??
Original post by panjabiflower

If you really like Newcastle and you've applied to your strengths for the rest of your choices then you may as well risk it.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Just a quick question....on ucas do you enter both AS and A2 grades if they were all carried on to A2 or just the final A2 grades?
Reply 809
Just a quick question....on ucas do you enter both AS and A2 grades if they were all carried on to A2 or just the final A2 grades?

I was told to put in both the AS grades and A2 subjects separate, as our school had cashed in our AS grades
Original post by MikeyP96
I was told to put in both the AS grades and A2 subjects separate, as our school had cashed in our AS grades

my AS grades were certified so should i enter the AS GRADES and A2GRADES for each subject-
so 4 for AS and the 4 FOR A2?
Just a quick question.
I pasted my PS into UCAS apply and it was 4 lines over. This meant I had to sacrifice my lines between paragraphs. Is that ok or is it worth having the spaces and losing some of the words?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 812
my AS grades were certified so should i enter the AS GRADES and A2GRADES for each subject-
so 4 for AS and the 4 FOR A2?

Yeah, I think so.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 813
Original post by katherine96
Just a quick question.
I pasted my PS into UCAS apply and it was 4 lines over. This meant I had to sacrifice my lines between paragraphs. Is that ok or is it worth having the spaces and losing some of the words?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Mine was the same, and I just cut the lines, not the words
Original post by pkozman
Could someone please come up with a list of medical schools that WILL look at the situational judgement section of the UCKAT this year?

I can't give you a definitive list I'm afraid, but I've heard (on TSR) that very few med schools have announced plans to use it, and the majority of those seem to be saying they'll only use it as a tie-breaker between otherwise identically ranked candidates. It has been discussed before in the forum, so you may be able to search for it. Alternatively, do a google search for 'medicine sjt site:ac.uk' (without the quotes obviously). If you want to check the attitude of a specific med school to SJT, add the uni's name to the search terms. Good luck!

That's got to be your decision I'm afraid. In part, it depends on how much you want to get into medicine, how much you want to study at Newcastle, and how sure you are of getting an interview elsewhere. OTOH, the cutoffs have risen each year in recent years. OTOH, Southampton has switched this year to a very similar policy, which may reduce the cutoff through the law of supply and demand. Good luck!

I was told to err on the side of giving too much info rather than too little. If you give too much, they'll ignore it, if you give too little, they may reject you. Good luck!

Original post by katherine96
Just a quick question. I pasted my PS into UCAS apply and it was 4 lines over. This meant I had to sacrifice my lines between paragraphs. Is that ok or is it worth having the spaces and losing some of the words?

Original post by FreyaCat
Mine was the same, and I just cut the lines, not the words

Try to follow the advice on blank lines if you can, but don't cut any important text. If it's not too late and you are struggling with the line limit and using Word, try this tip... convert the text to Courier size 9, a font in which every character occupies the same space on a line. Then adjust (drag) the margins to show exactly 94 characters on each line (no more, no less - insert a string of 94 characters on the first line to help you get it exactly right). Now you can see where characters are being 'wasted'. You'll have 'wasted' spaces at the end of some lines, because long words don't fit and move to the next line, and you may have paragraphs with 1-2 words on the last line - a small cut could save a whole line. HTH, and good luck!
Reply 815
Original post by Pastaferian
I can't give you a definitive list I'm afraid, but I've heard (on TSR) that very few med schools have announced plans to use it, and the majority of those seem to be saying they'll only use it as a tie-breaker between otherwise identically ranked candidates. It has been discussed before in the forum, so you may be able to search for it. Alternatively, do a google search for 'medicine sjt site:ac.uk' (without the quotes obviously). If you want to check the attitude of a specific med school to SJT, add the uni's name to the search terms. Good luck!

That's got to be your decision I'm afraid. In part, it depends on how much you want to get into medicine, how much you want to study at Newcastle, and how sure you are of getting an interview elsewhere. OTOH, the cutoffs have risen each year in recent years. OTOH, Southampton has switched this year to a very similar policy, which may reduce the cutoff through the law of supply and demand. Good luck!

I was told to err on the side of giving too much info rather than too little. If you give too much, they'll ignore it, if you give too little, they may reject you. Good luck!

Try to follow the advice on blank lines if you can, but don't cut any important text. If it's not too late and you are struggling with the line limit and using Word, try this tip... convert the text to Courier size 9, a font in which every character occupies the same space on a line. Then adjust (drag) the margins to show exactly 94 characters on each line (no more, no less - insert a string of 94 characters on the first line to help you get it exactly right). Now you can see where characters are being 'wasted'. You'll have 'wasted' spaces at the end of some lines, because long words don't fit and move to the next line, and you may have paragraphs with 1-2 words on the last line - a small cut could save a whole line. HTH, and good luck!

Thank you for the advice but I've sent mine away so can't do much about it now.
Reply 816
Do universities favour you if you have had any activities to further education? S
Hi, does anyone know whether to choose student fee code 02 or 05 when applying for medicine?
Original post by JosephSealy
Hi, does anyone know whether to choose student fee code 02 or 05 when applying for medicine?

02 - you're not NHS funded to start with so all your support is from SFE.
Reply 819
Hi, what am I supposed to do for interviews. I'm abroad between December 8 and February the 18th. Should I cancel?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending