The Student Room Group

Full scale censorship enforced.. In Britain

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Pastaferian
Or the fact that they were only selling 1-2 copies every day, and the shelf space should be used for something they could cover their costs on :smile:

That wouldn't constitute a ban though. I think it is unlikely that they would only shift a couple of copies of one of the most popular newspapers in Britain, even to students (I'm sure there are plenty who would read The Sun).
Urgh, Student Unions. What do expect from these hubs of left extremism.
Reply 22
Why should a union be selling a paper made for those with the reading age of children?
Reply 23
Original post by ChemistBoy
The democratically elected SU executive officers have the right to decide what they do and do not sell in the SU shop under their remit, just as an private enterprise has such a right. As pointed out above there is no suggestion of a ban on having The Sun on SU premises and so this can't be seen as censorship.

However, I would have expected such an action to have been mandated by either:

a) A particular officer campaigning with a manifesto pledge to do this, or:
b) Some form of consultation of the student body (e.g. a referendum or similar).

There are lots and lots of newsagents in Manchester so it really isn't a big deal.

The people who made the decision were not elected.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by the mezzil

When something becomes uneconomic to sell, any prudent outlet will give it the axe. The sales figures were quoted earlier in the thread, so it seems that the people who made the decision were the student body as a whole, by ignoring it in the first place. You can't argue with democracy on that scale (but I'm sure you'll try).

Posted from TSR Mobile

is manchester student union, not run by an elected body of students/student council?

seems odd.. most student unions are..
Reply 26
Original post by Pastaferian
When something becomes uneconomic to sell, any prudent outlet will give it the axe. The sales figures were quoted earlier in the thread, so it seems that the people who made the decision were the student body as a whole, by ignoring it in the first place. You can't argue with democracy on that scale (but I'm sure you'll try).

59 % of students are against the ban, something like 80 % were against the union even discussing the matter. You still want to bring democracy into the debate?

And you still having given me a valid reason for censorship. They did not ban The Sun because of an economic motive.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 27
Original post by fallen_acorns
is manchester student union, not run by an elected body of students/student council?

seems odd.. most student unions are..

yes, read the mancunion paper, it points out that they were randomly selected students.

"The motion to boycott the newspaper, coming on the heels of the ‘No More Page 3’ campaign, was voted on by a panel of twenty randomly selected students on Wednesday October 2."

Read the comments section.
(edited 10 years ago)
yes, read the mancunion paper, it points out that they were randomly selected students.

"The motion to boycott the newspaper, coming on the heels of the ‘No More Page 3’ campaign, was voted on by a panel of twenty randomly selected students on Wednesday October 2."

That seems like a very odd way of running a student union...

Ive attended union meetings in a number of universities, and motions such as this, have always been voted on by a council/board/group of elected student representatives from all parts of the university..

- the only way it makes sense, is if this elected group of students, decided the best way to make a decision was to ask 20 random students? which seems wierd..

Or the union did it without consulting its elected student contingent.. which also seems wierd..
As many others have pointed out, it isn't censorship, as they are not preventing you owning a copy of the sun. If you really want to read it, walk to the other side of the road to Sainsburys, and buy it there.
Reply 30
Original post by fallen_acorns
That seems like a very odd way of running a student union...

Ive attended union meetings in a number of universities, and motions such as this, have always been voted on by a council/board/group of elected student representatives from all parts of the university..

- the only way it makes sense, is if this elected group of students, decided the best way to make a decision was to ask 20 random students? which seems wierd..

Or the union did it without consulting its elected student contingent.. which also seems wierd..

They were not elected, read the top comment here, and the whole story.

http://mancunion.com/2013/10/04/students-union-boycott-the-sun/
I find that some student unions are just power hungry control freaks.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 32
Original post by donutaud15
I find that some student unions are just power hungry control freaks.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Lefty control freaks. Can't sell the Sun, but fine to get your students liquored up :rolleyes:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Ggmu!
Lefty control freaks. Can't sell the Sun, but fine to get your students liquored up :rolleyes:

Posted from TSR Mobile

yes and a certain song banned because *some* people found it offensive.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 34

Posted from TSR Mobile

And we pay these guys £17 000 a year.
Reply 35

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hilarious how they operate.

MOLLY ALL IN HER CHAMPAGNE AND SHE AINT EVEN KNO IT

Posted from TSR Mobile
And we pay these guys £17 000 a year.

exactly what I said when I spoke up about it in my union.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 37
exactly what I said when I spoke up about it in my union.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I asked them if we could hold a protest against the union once, didn't really go down to well.
I asked them if we could hold a protest against the union once, didn't really go down to well.

they are incredibly bias.

Posted from TSR Mobile
They were not elected, read the top comment here, and the whole story.

http://mancunion.com/2013/10/04/students-union-boycott-the-sun/

oh ok.. so from reading the comments, I think I see how it works now..

you have your elected representatives, or the exec, as you call them..

And then they put forward a motion, and its voted on by a panal of randomly selected students..

Hmm, so in that case, there would be a few things to consider:

1 - this system of deciding things, was voted on by the mass student body, and a majority decided it was how they wanted it.. you cant then bitch about the ramifications of a wierd decision making system, if its what you wanted..

2 - anyone could have gone to the meeting, and spoken/joined the debate.. one of the comentors mentions that most of the best/pursuasive arguements were given by the exec, in favour of the ban.. and very few people spoke against it.. - so maybe if students cared that much, they should have shown up and spoke out at the meeting?

3 - you do have elected memembers, who are the ones to talk to about this.. but it seems that they are in favour (as a group) of this, and were key in pushing it through, and pursuading the randomly selected panal..

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending