The Student Room Group

Mini Cooper 1.6 GIRLY OR NOT

Hey guys, my first post. Woo...

I was just wondering, what's your opinion on the so very British BMW Mini Cooper? Is it more of a girly car, thanks to it's eyecandy design and totally no-homo big ass speedo, or is it more of a boyracer machine because of it's awesome, go-cart like handling thanks to the german engineering?

And if so, what would the opinions be on a Suzuki Swift which is more or less an Asian copy of the Cooper?
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 1
I've had everything from a Marina to a 911 - last time I checked what you have between your legs doesn't affect the car you drive.
Reply 2
How is the Swift an Asian copy of the cooper? :s

You may as well say, "All cars that are [x] size are more or less a [location] copy of the [y]".
(edited 10 years ago)
It doesn't affect the car you drive but you wouldn't stereotypically see a muscley man driving a tiny KA...

The Mini is a good car, I prefer the BMW Mini to the old version tbf. I wouldn't get a swift unless it was a sport which I think is SR?

My first car was a 1 litre Y reg Corsa, baby blue :wink: your first car doesn't matter.

Get a cooper S :wink:
Reply 4
Stereotyping a car as girly is madness.
Example Ka and 500 are small light cars with decent power to weight ratio, decent chassis and stiff body which permits fun driving.
People who opt for bigger cars pay for options for lower stiffer sportier suspension.

Girly is how one chooses to present and style the car perhaps colour choice eg pink. Placing eye lashes on the front headlights or cuddly bears in the rear window.
Reply 5
I know it doesn't affect me much, but I'm just asking for a general opinion. When you see a Ford KA or Citroen C3 you surely don't think a man could drive that, so I'm just fishing for opinions on that particular car, my dad bought me a Swift, which in my opinion is just very similarly designed to the mini because of the axis pushed as far back, giving it an awesome handling, unfortunately back then I couldn't afford insurance on so didn't even bother with getting a license (stupid, I know) and we sold the swift. Now I've just turned 19 and about to pass my practical and just wondering if again, a Cooper S wouldn't be too much for a youngster who wants to start driving, I mean the insurance on this bad boy must be simply monstrous...

Thanks for the feedback anyway guys :wink:
Reply 6
Original post by Maccees
How is the Swift an Asian copy of the cooper? :s

You may as well say, "All cars that are [x] size are more or less a [location] copy of the [y]".

If you'd ever driven an original Morris / Austin mini you could appreciate that the swift is indeed a much better "spiritual" successor.

Having owned a Cooper S, IMHO, the BMW mini's really aint that great.
Reply 7
I would say normal Mini is a no-no, it would just look like you're borrowing mums car to pop to the shop.

Cooper S / Cooper S John Cooper Works is a big yes in my opinion.
Reply 8
BMW Minis are perceived as very girly no way around that.

Whether you let that bother you or care is another thing.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 9
It's funny how the peoples cars* remakes are perceived that way. *VW beetle,Fiat 500 and the Mini.
Reply 11
Original post by Igor3k
Hey guys, my first post. Woo...

I was just wondering, what's your opinion on the so very British BMW Mini Cooper? Is it more of a girly car, thanks to it's eyecandy design and totally no-homo big ass speedo, or is it more of a boyracer machine because of it's awesome, go-cart like handling thanks to the german engineering?

And if so, what would the opinions be on a Suzuki Swift which is more or less an Asian copy of the Cooper?

The old 1980's ones aren't... the modern ones are incredibly gay.
Reply 12
Original post by jakefitzgerald93
It doesn't affect the car you drive but you wouldn't stereotypically see a muscley man driving a tiny KA...

:confused: If you say so...
Reply 13
Original post by Camoxide
BMW Minis are perceived as very girly no way around that.

Whether you let that bother you or care is another thing.

Original post by Derp96
The old 1980's ones aren't... the modern ones are incredibly gay.

You two quite clearly don't have a clue what John Cooper Works means then.
Reply 14
Original post by Grimezy
You two quite clearly don't have a clue what John Cooper Works means then.

It doesn't matter what it means. If you park outside the pub in your mini everyone's going to be waiting for a chick to get out.
Reply 15
It doesn't matter what it means. If you park outside the pub in your mini everyone's going to be waiting for a chick to get out.

Do you even have a car? Can you even drive?

Anybody who knows the first thing about cars know that a 200bhp supercharged 1.6 petrol is not a 'chicks' car.

It's certainly not as manly as something like a V6 or V8 but it's certainly not a girls car. You'd have to be pretty insecure to be bothered about what people think as well.
Reply 16
Original post by Grimezy
Do you even have a car? Can you even drive?

Anybody who knows the first thing about cars know that a 200bhp supercharged 1.6 petrol is not a 'chicks' car.

It's certainly not as manly as something like a V6 or V8 but it's certainly not a girls car. You'd have to be pretty insecure to be bothered about what people think as well.

Yes.

Still looks like a girls car.
Yes.

Still looks like a girls car.

Agree. Its a girls/hairdressers car.
Reply 18
No matter what you were saying, I still went out and bought myself one. First surprise was the ehaust note, because it is quite loud and aggresive.
Insurance policy doesn't allow any modification but I think the white/british racing green combination works quite well...

PS. Living in south wales, already had some female headturning, job well done!

Quick Reply

Latest