The Student Room Group

Should the UK higher the age for learning to drive

Should the UK higher the age for learning to drive or not and your reasons why for or against?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
There aren't older idiots on the road? Young people I know are some of the most careful drivers. Not every 17-18 year old driver is a boy racer

Hiring the age to drive also may have bad effects on young people in rural areas and areas with bad public transport.

If the legal age is to be hired public transport has to improve.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 2
It would be bad for the economy to raise the driving age. Youths with have more difficulty getting to work/school/college which will discourage them from doing so and therefore encouraging them to be out of work, training or education.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 3
What does your thread title even mean?

Posted from TSR Mobile
No, I don't really think so. Where I live atm for instance it's almost impossible to get anywhere without driving at least part of the way so without a driving license I'd either have to move or rely on other people for lifts or something.
No they shouldn't. Not everyone at the age of 17-25 is immature and reckless.
No, they shouldn't.
Reply 7
I can't imagine it would help at all. If you raised the age to 21 or something then all it would mean is that you'd have a few 21-year-old idiot drivers instead of a few 17-year-old idiot drivers.
Reply 8
probably should increase it to 18 or so. a disproportionate number of car deaths happen to people who have just passed their test so it may stop that. it may save the nhs a lot of money so actually beneficial to the economy. they should encourage the young to take more public transport.
Reply 9
Original post by Arbolus
I can't imagine it would help at all. If you raised the age to 21 or something then all it would mean is that you'd have a few 21-year-old idiot drivers instead of a few 17-year-old idiot drivers.

a lot of people would have grown up in those 4 years and so wont do as much stupid things.
I don't see why it needs to be raised. There are plenty of good, young, drivers out there. Many are better than their parents when it comes to technique and observations.

I would support allowing people to learn to drive 3-6 months before their 17th though. Hopefully that would give learners more time to become skilled before they do the test after their birthday.

But no, reckless driving happens at all ages. Enforcement should be raised, not the age to drive.
Reply 11
Original post by lucas13
probably should increase it to 18 or so. a disproportionate number of car deaths happen to people who have just passed their test so it may stop that. it may save the nhs a lot of money so actually beneficial to the economy. they should encourage the young to take more public transport.

I disagree. Of course there will be a disproportionate amount of accidents for those who have just passed, mainly because they have JUST passed. I live in London, encouraging the youth to take more public transportation in cities, would require the government to invest more into public transport. Which, evidentially they cannot proportionately do.
Reply 12
Original post by lucas13

It is also relevant to add that the revenue gained by the government on the tax paid by those who buy fuel, should more than cover the costs of first-time drivers accidents.
there should be a zero tolerance for speeding and dangerous maneuvering

ie revoking driving license and banning from driving for a year
Reply 14
Original post by rickfloss
there should be a zero tolerance for speeding and dangerous maneuvering

ie revoking driving license and banning from driving for a year

You sound like some 80 year old fossil.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by CEKTOP
You sound like some 80 year old fossil.

Posted from TSR Mobile

nah i sound like that little kid you ranover while trying to impress you girlfriend, then saw as you only got 3 years for death by dangerous driving
Original post by lucas13

Therefore, it has nothing to do with age but experience. :tongue: Whether you pass your driving test at 18 (France), 17 (UK) or 16 (USA), you'll still have less experience than those who have been driving for years. So, I don't think that raising the minimum driving age at 18 would change anything at all to the number of deaths on the roads... While we're at it, why not raise it at 30?
(edited 10 years ago)
They shouldn't discriminate on age; I don't want to pay for my fellow teenagers' idiocy.
All increasing the minimum age for driving will do is mean that there will be inexperienced drivers who are older as opposed to 17-18 year olds on the roads; it won't solve the issue of dangerous driving, it'll just increase the age at which people are new to driving and gaining experience, where they are likely to make mistakes.
Original post by FlavaFavourFruit
No they shouldn't. Not everyone at the age of 17-25 is immature and reckless.

I agree.
There are also drivers that are over 25 that are idiots.
Making the age higher would penalise the young drivers that are careful drivers.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending