The Student Room Group

Cliche Tattoo?

Hey, I wanted to get people's advice before I take the plunge and get my first tattoo :smile:
I'm wanting to get a thigh piece with the quote 'a smooth sea never made a skilled sailor' as part of the design. I'd be leaning towards a nautical style for the whole design. I've been through a lot in the past few years (health problems, the effect of these on my grades etc) and I feel that being through these things has made me stronger, as the quote would suggest.

I'd just like to know if people think this is too cliche/a bad idea?
Thank you!
Reply 1
Get Nicki Minaj tattooed on your face.
Reply 2
If you are a sailor it is a brilliant idea. If you are not it is cliché and tacky.

Posted from TSR Mobile
A tattoo is something personal and that will be with you for life.

Asking us our opinion is all well and good, but it's you who will have to look at it every day and it's you who will know the meaning behind it.

If you really want a tattoo and for the right reasons, you don't need anybody else to confirm whether or not it's worth getting or if it's too cliche.

If you think it's cliche, then don't bother.

To be honest with you, if you were really sure about getting this tattoo and you really wanted it, you wouldn't have even considered creating this thread.
Reply 4
It's great that you have overcome your personal problems, but I don't see the point in tattoos, other 'creative' work would do the job to show this. I don't think the skin should have ink on. But hey this is my opinion for myself, if you want to get a tattoo then it's your choice (but be wary that some firms do not hire people with visible tattoos), and go for it. What others think won't matter but as Vikki has pointed out, you're going to live with it forever.
Reply 5
Tbh tattoos really have to her personal to you and you have to not care what others think. I have one and some people think it's weird or unoriginal but I think it's cute and don't really care :P my cousin has the John Deere logo on his chest and another cousin has the same tattoo from one of the characters off Lost as he's obsessed. I personally don't get it, but they're happy and that's what counts.

If you like the idea, then get it, but make sure you're absolutely positive you want it especially as it's on your thigh.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 6
Just don't get one, they are chav stamps and make you look tacky
Reply 7
This one idiot girl got the deathly hallows on her hip. Another idiot girl got a rose on her wrist. This idiot lad got a flaming skull on his forearm.

Virtually every tattoo people get at 18 looks like ****.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 8
Original post by Ggmu!
This one idiot girl got the deathly hallows on her hip. Another idiot girl got a rose on her wrist. This idiot lad got a flaming skull on his forearm.

Virtually every tattoo people get at 18 looks like ****.

Posted from TSR Mobile

A girl I know got carpe diem on her rib in big swirly writing and the 'r' looks like an 'l' so it's like calpe diem :rolleyes:
She was 16 when she got it
Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 9
Original post by sophhiee
A girl I know got carpe diem on her rib in big swirly writing and the 'r' looks like an 'l' so it's like calpe diem :rolleyes:
She was 16 when she got it
Posted from TSR Mobile

People should wait till they're like at least 22ish to get a tattoo. imo.
Reply 10
I think before you get it done permanently, you should have a temporary version of it. There are places where you can get tattoo's done with a temporary ink that lasts a month or so. That way you will have a chance to see whether it's what you really want and whether you really like it.

Hope this helps.
Reply 11
Tattoos are like a mullet you can never shave off.
Reply 12
If you go ahead with it don't cheap out on the work, get some recommendations cos you don't want to get a rubbishy tatt.
Reply 13
Like Vikki said; if you're questioning it, don't do it.
May I just say what is the point in a tattoo? You went through some problems? So do a lot of people. The solution is not getting inked.

Also, you want it on your thigh? Who's going to see that?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 15
Just remember its permanent to a certain extent, so maybe you should make up your own quote.
I don't know why so many people here are using this as yet another opportunity to spread crap about people with tattoos, you don't like them, we get it, now **** off.

To the OP. From what you have described your tattoo doesn't sound particularly clichéd, yes nautical themed tattoos are 'in' at the moment but this is a life choice and that really shouldn't have a bearing on your decision either way.

My main part of advice would be, don't just go down the street, walk into the first tattoo shop and get it there. Get on the internet and research a potential artist who has done similar work in the past and can provide pictures (preferably healed ones), you may have to pay more, but it'll be well worth it to get the right artist for you.
Original post by mojojojo101
you may have to pay more, but it'll be well worth it to get the right artist for you.

Absolutely agreeee!!:wink:
Reply 18
Original post by bubble999
Have something in Chinese that is poorly translated and instead of meaning "peace", means "potato"

hahaha! If only I had rep left :tongue:

Quick Reply

Latest