The Student Room Group

Medicine 2014 Applicants

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Almar
Hi, what am I supposed to do for interviews. I'm abroad between December 8 and February the 18th. Should I cancel?

Unless you can fly back at around a week's notice each time, I'd suggest that it would be unwise to be out of the country for that period.
Reply 821
Original post by Becca-Sarah
Unless you can fly back at around a week's notice each time, I'd suggest that it would be unwise to be out of the country for that period.

that's so difficult!. I can't cancel between december 8 and 31st January because that's a chance to see my mum but after it's okay. Thanks.
Original post by Almar
that's so difficult!. I can't cancel between december 8 and 31st January because that's a chance to see my mum but after it's okay. Thanks.

It would be wise to let your medical schools know this in advance so they have the opportunity to offer you an earlier/later interview date, rather than just trying to rearrange if you're offered one within those dates.
Reply 823
Original post by Becca-Sarah
It would be wise to let your medical schools know this in advance so they have the opportunity to offer you an earlier/later interview date, rather than just trying to rearrange if you're offered one within those dates.

ok :smile:. How should I do that?
Original post by Almar
ok :smile:. How should I do that?

Email them?
Reply 825
Sent my application off today and just had my confirmation email from Leicester! :biggrin:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 826
Hi,
a quick UCAS question.

When filling in for your A levels

Do you choose GCE first award 2011 and fill in grades for 3 modules for AS OR do you choose GCE and put grades and awaiting results for your all 6 modules ??

Thanks in advance :smile:
Original post by Shiam
Hi,
a quick UCAS question.

Do you choose GCE first award 2011 and fill in grades for 3 modules for AS OR do you choose GCE and put grades and awaiting results for your all 6 modules ??

Your put down the recieved grades for AS and put 'pending' for A2 results.
Sending mine off tomorrow after having a look at my reference and predicted grades. :O :smile: :biggrin: I'm really nervous! Anyone applying to Bristol? And doing the Access to Bristol scheme?
Reply 829
Original post by Shiam
Hi,
a quick UCAS question.

In my college we are told to do the first thing you mentioned :smile: and put pending for our A Level results :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Almar
Hi, what am I supposed to do for interviews. I'm abroad between December 8 and February the 18th. Should I cancel?

I agree with Sarah-Becca's advice - email them. To that I would add...

come up with a stand-out subject line, because a lot of emails to med admissions remain unread at busy times

include your UCAS number in the subject line, so that they can match the info with your file

Reply 831
Original post by FreyaCat
Hi, I'm applying this year I got:
AAAAB at higher
AAA predicted advanced higher
average 750 ukcat.

Im applying to dundee, aberdeen, St. Andrews andEdinburgh
are these reasonable, I don't want to waste places?

I wouldn't apply to Edinburgh. I got AAAABB at highers and they said I wouldn't achieve highest score in academic section, so I'm not applying - waste of an application even though my ukcat is good and I have lots of extra curricular stuff.
Reply 832
Original post by Pastaferian
I agree with Sarah-Becca's advice - email them. To that I would add...

come up with a stand-out subject line, because a lot of emails to med admissions remain unread at busy times

include your UCAS number in the subject line, so that they can match the info with your file

thanks but if i'm only going away for 3 weeks now between the 8th and 31st of December with the two weeks being the holidays, i won't be necessary would it? If i get any interviews I can just reschedule.
Reply 833
Original post by lucyfife
I wouldn't apply to Edinburgh. I got AAAABB at highers and they said I wouldn't achieve highest score in academic section, so I'm not applying - waste of an application even though my ukcat is good and I have lots of extra curricular stuff.

Oh right, the thing is I can't go anywhere else because of the cost. I get leaps to help me apply and they sent pre-application enquiry to edinburgh for me and the university said that I had good enough grades to apply so I'm just going to have to risk it.
Original post by Almar
thanks but if i'm only going away for 3 weeks now between the 8th and 31st of December with the two weeks being the holidays, i won't be necessary would it? If i get any interviews I can just reschedule.

I didn't see the post where you changed the dates - that certainly eases the problem. But I've read a lot of websites where they say there is no guarantee that they can/will reschedule if an interviewee is unable to attend. However, if you email them to explain the constraints, they can take that into account when sending out invitations, otherwise (from their perspective) they'll have an interview slot and possibly be unable to find anyone to fill it. Do you think there is a downside to telling them? I did it, and there wasn't a problem.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 835
Original post by FreyaCat
Oh right, the thing is I can't go anywhere else because of the cost. I get leaps to help me apply and they sent pre-application enquiry to edinburgh for me and the university said that I had good enough grades to apply so I'm just going to have to risk it.

What about Glasgow? Okay, good luck
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 836
Original post by lucyfife
What about Glasgow? Okay, good luck

They will only take you with 5a's, thank you, you too.
Original post by lucey
Hey guys, I need your advice.. Ever since middle school I really wanted to study medicine at Edinburgh, and so I worked extremely hard and finally got 45 predicted (IB diploma) and 720 from my UKCAT.
But last week when I've talked to a career advisor who specializes in UCAS applications he said that it is very unlikely I would get into Edinburgh and told me to choose some other school like Nottingham instead, for "I should not waste one of only four applications for something as unobtainable as Edinburgh" (his words).
Is getting into Edinburgh really that impossible? :frown:

Hey, I've got 44/45 for predicts, and 812.5 for UKCAT, and my career advisor had no issues with me applying to Edinburgh, just in case that helps.
Reply 838
Hi guys!
Is it bad that I still havent sent mine off to ucas??? :/ Probably going to do it Monday now :/

Also for Manchester, do they want grades for each unit? or would leaving it as 'pending' be fine?
Reply 839
Hi, how quickly did anyone get conformation from the universities to say they had received their application?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending