The Student Room Group

HELP!!! Virus - java/mp3skull website

My pc has a darn virus, which self installed a program calling itself antivirus pro, and it can't be uninstalled.

It either came from downloading java player (which I doubt) or from one of the audio files I downloaded from the mp3skull website :angry:

Idk what to do, it keeps telling me it's sending my files to unidentified users, and doesn't let me use any files on my pc. But is this possible without being connected to the internet? I'm very worried.

My dad keeps saying "you shouldn't download antivirus programs, it's all a scam, they're the ones that give out the viruses and make people but their software".
So I didn't install any antivirus software at all.

Now I'm in a pickle.

Please advise me.

Iqbal007

Posted from TSR Mobile

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by ash92:)
My pc has a darn virus, which self installed a program calling itself antivirus pro, and it can't be uninstalled.

It either came from downloading java player (which I doubt) or from one of the audio files I downloaded from the mp3skull website :angry:

Idk what to do, it keeps telling me it's sending my files to unidentified users, and doesn't let me use any files on my pc. But is this possible without being connected to the internet? I'm very worried.

My dad keeps saying "you shouldn't download antivirus programs, it's all a scam, they're the ones that give out the viruses and make people but their software".

Now I'm in a pickle.

Please advise me.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Do you have access to another PC/LAPTOP NOT THE ONE WITH A VIRUS?

IF so

Use that PC - DISCOUNT FROM INTERNET THE VIRUS PC

On Safe PC - GOOGLE Malwarebytes anti malware and put it on a USB?

Do you know what Safe mode is? if yeah boot via safe mode and install malwarebytes anti malware on the virus pc and run a scan.

Also, have you backed everything up? do you have important files on the Virus pc?
Reply 2
Original post by helpmekid

IF so

On Safe PC - GOOGLE Malwarebytes anti malware and put it on a USB?

Do you know what Safe mode is? if yeah boot via safe mode and install malwarebytes anti malware on the virus pc and run a scan.

Also, have you backed everything up? do you have important files on the Virus pc?

No, the files aren't backed up :afraid:

I don't know how to use safe mode with windows 8.

I don't have access to another pc...but I might (although it is unlikely) be able to borrow a laptop. If I download malware bytes and run it (via a USB) on the infected pc, will it get rid of the virus?

Thanks for the help

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 3
Original post by helpmekid

IF so

It seems I might get to borrow that laptop. Could you please explain the bold bit above?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 4
Will MBAM rid my pc of the virus???

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 5
Maybe.

It sounds like it's probably scareware - your files are probably not being stolen. You should, however disconnect the computer from whatever network it's hooked up to and then reboot into safe mode when you have a tool to remove the malware, on a USB stick (or ideally, a CD/DVD ROM)
Reply 6
Original post by Mad Vlad
Maybe.

It sounds like it's probably scareware - your files are probably not being stolen. You should, however disconnect the computer from whatever network it's hooked up to and then reboot into safe mode when you have a tool to remove the malware, on a USB stick (or ideally, a CD/DVD ROM)

Thanks Vlad.

That's reassuring, phew. Idk what you mean by network though. Could you please explain?

If it is what you think, would any further steps need to be taken to remove the malware?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 7
Original post by Mad Vlad
Maybe.

Like, by network, do you mean disconnect the pc from any other pcs? If so, it's a single pc in its own.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 8
First thing is press ctrl-alt-delete then end any processes that look like their coming from this application.
Second thing is download this antivirus : http://free.avg.com/gb-en/homepage
One of the best free antiviruses out there and not a scam or virus.
Reply 9
Like, by network, do you mean disconnect the pc from any other pcs? If so, it's a single pc in its own.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Disconnect it from the internet.
Reply 10
Original post by sarjan100
First thing is press ctrl-alt-delete then end any processes that look like their coming from this application.
Second thing is download this antivirus : http://free.avg.com/gb-en/homepage
One of the best free antiviruses out there and not a scam or virus.

It won't let me do ctrl+alt+delete.

Is avg better or avast?
And would i download it after doing the scan with MBAM?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 11
Yup, I did that as soon as it started saying 'x was sent to unidentified user'.

I use a wireless adapter for wifi to connect to my router. So I just took out the adapter to disconnect the internet.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 12

Now I'm in a pickle.

Please advise me.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Restart your computer in safe mode and quickly run your anti virus program and do a full scan.
Everyone else has already told you all the right things to do so just do what they say. If you get in a pickle then try doing a system restore. If you're really stuck after that then take it to a computer shop. It's well worth it for peace of mind if you're worrying about whether or not your machine is clean. :smile:

2 bits of advice though...

Change all your passwords right now, from a CLEAN COMPUTER. You don't want someone buying stuff in your name or whatever. My brother forgot to do this once and ended up with someone ordering thousands of pounds worth of IT equipment from Amazon in his name...

Stop listening to your dad's IT advice. I don't mean to be rude but it doesn't sound like he knows what he's talking about, and that lack of knowledge is putting him and everyone he advises under a lot of risk. It's very easy to have your Facebook account, bank details or worse, your identity stolen if you don't take the right steps to look after your computer.

Good luck! Don't worry, we've all done it at least once!! :smile:
Reply 15
Original post by mangamaan
Restart your computer in safe mode and quickly run your anti virus program and do a full scan.

I don't have an antivirus programme.

Could I install it on the USB? That seems to be the advice so far.

If so, what do I need I put on the USB? Just the installer file? Or do I run the installer file on another pc and install it on the USB (if that's even possible)?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 16
Everyonehas already given adivce on removing it, so I'll just add that you should ignore your dad next time and get some antivirus software. There are some very good free ones out there and they certainly do not cause viruses (unless you download a fake one).
Reply 17
Original post by bad_moose
Everyone else has already told you all the right things to do so just do what they say. If you get in a pickle then try doing a system restore. If you're really stuck after that then take it to a computer shop. It's well worth it for peace of mind if you're worrying about whether or not your machine is clean. :smile:

2 bits of advice though...

Change all your passwords right now, from a CLEAN COMPUTER. You don't want someone buying stuff in your name or whatever. My brother forgot to do this once and ended up with someone ordering thousands of pounds worth of IT equipment from Amazon in his name...

Stop listening to your dad's IT advice. I don't mean to be rude but it doesn't sound like he knows what he's talking about, and that lack of knowledge is putting him and everyone he advises under a lot of risk. It's very easy to have your Facebook account, bank details or worse, your identity stolen if you don't take the right steps to look after your computer.

Good luck! Don't worry, we've all done it at least once!! :smile:

I agree, my dad is going by heresay. But I didn't install anything because I knew which way the finger would point when the computer gets a virus.

We've tried stuff like kaspersky in the past, but it doesn't quite cut it. We still got a virus on the old pc and had to have everything wiped - a scenario which I hate with an utmost passion.

Could you please see my other posts too? Like the one just above this post?

Also, would these passwords include internet passwords that haven't been saved (like the remember password option)? I assume user account passwords on the pc itself need be changed?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 18

Awesome, thanks buddy.

But what do they mean by "extract it to a convenient location"? Extract what exactly, and is this possible via right-click?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 19
Awesome, thanks buddy.

But what do they mean by "extract it to a convenient location"? Extract what exactly, and is this possible via right-click?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Malwarebytes Chameleon
http://www.malwarebytes.org/products/chameleon/

You can extract it to whereever, downloads/documents/programmes

Just read the steps carefully, it's all there. There are 3 other options as well. Just follow "Step 2" if the other ones are too complicated.
(edited 10 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending