The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by EduWiz
Same here, I got an A today

Oooh, well done! What was yours on? Our was on the first topic of mechanics about forces - balancing moments and equilibrium etc.
Original post by Pabblethefish
We have a physics trip to the Science Museum in London and Thorpe Park next week! Very excited! :biggrin:

That sounds super fun :awesome: I believe that my teacher also has plans to attend most Cambridge lectures that are being held in the next year :ahee:
Original post by MangoFreak
That sounds super fun :awesome: I believe that my teacher also has plans to attend most Cambridge lectures that are being held in the next year :ahee:

So jealous! :coma:

Do you think you could possibly help me on some coordinate geometry? :tongue: http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=2486384
Original post by Lucas.
Do anybody else's teachers not use a textbook?

Maths: Don't have a textbook OR handouts... All questions are written on the board and we work on them and discuss them... We use a program that my teacher wrote called Maths Brain and loads of questions come up on there... Kind of hard to explain.. Cool, but annoying nonetheless, especially when I want to read ahead.

German: Don't have a textbook, don't have a clue what I'm meant to be learning and/or when I'll be learning it in class...

Psychology: We got given a textbook that we can take home, but we never use it. We use a different textbook in class, but only rarely.

Sociology: Same as psychology.

It's really annoying when I want to try and read ahead. Anybody else have this problem?

EDIT: I should point out that it's not slowing me down in anyway, like I said, it's just kind of annoying when I want to read ahead; I have to do it all online. I feel up to speed in all my subjects.

We have textbooks, and are encouraged to read them along with the lessons (and many of us have read ahead in the Chemistry books, to the amusement of our teacher :mmm:), but with the exception of Physics, we don't really use them so much in lessons (we use the exercises in the Maths books but that's it really).

I think it's quite odd (and possibly problematic) that you haven't been provided with textbooks :holmes:

Do you think you could possibly help me on some coordinate geometry? :tongue: http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=2486384

We haven't actually reached that part of C1 yet :mmm: We have two core teachers, and we're a bit behind with the one with whom we're to do that.

I did peruse the unit in Year 11 after I'd done my GCSE, but I sort of skipped over it to calculus :awesome:

I'd read ahead and help you anyway, but I have a Latin translation to do, sorry :frown:
We haven't actually reached that part of C1 yet :mmm: We have two core teachers, and we're a bit behind with the one with whom we're to do that.

I did peruse the unit in Year 11 after I'd done my GCSE, but I sort of skipped over it to calculus :awesome:

I'd read ahead and help you anyway, but I have a Latin translation to do, sorry :frown:

It's okay, thanks anyway and have fun with Latin! :tongue:
Reply 5966
Hi guys, what do you suggest I do about a friend who wants to be spoon fed everything and has no interest in doing A-levels at all. It's bringing me down - I can't do my own work because I have to tell her what to write word for word before I do my own.
Reply 5967
Original post by Georgiecat
Wow, that must be annoying! We have barcodes in ours, so they're basically on extended loan from the library, and if you don't return it you have to pay for a new one. Yep, physical and human are in one folder - what about you?

I had to put my human/physical in separate ones. The amount of room human geography has took up in the folder already is ridiculous - it's probably the same amount as all my other subjects combined. :lolwut:
Feel like posting my day, so I may as well... (Hopefully some people will find it interesting to read?)

P1 French - We had loads to get through as we're missing a double lesson on Friday (training day) so we did quite a lot about negatives with the passé composé, focusing a lot on word order. Then we were set so much homework to do so we're not getting behind because we miss the lesson, plus the amount we normally get. I've been quite motivated though and got quite a bit done tonight, and tomorrow I might start on my presentation about why we should use social networking sites like Twitter/Facebook (we basically do presentations every week to practice speaking)

P2 French - Swapped rooms and had a different teacher, we were going over adjective agreements and marking homework, so most of it wasn't too challenging. Then we got our present tense tests back - I got 67/68 (although it would have been full marks had I not forgotten to write the "ils" part for one of the verbs. We were writing out the conjugations in full and I probably accidentally rushed onto the next one, oh dear!)

P3 English Language - A bit boring today, we were looking at even more technical terminology and writing about some texts. I don't mind the subject as it's fairly straight forward, but maybe that's why the lessons also seem quite dull?

P4 English Literature - Discussed Act 2/3 of Much Ado About Nothing, made some annotations as usual, and then watched a bit of the film version to look at different interpretations directors can have.

P5 Free Period - Spent the first half an hour in the library doing some French homework (I started with the easiest one so it didn't take very long!) and then I went home and continued with homework. Surprisingly, I've got through quite a bit, so hopefully the same will happen tomorrow.

Tomorrow I've got double English Language, then a double free, and then finally double English Lit. I doubt we'll get much homework set tomorrow so I will be able to get all my French and Spanish out of the way and then on Friday I can begin to thoroughly revise for tests next week - Monday there is a Spanish present tense test, and then on Friday a French passé composé test.
Hey everyone!
Loving Year 12 at the moment, and Wednesdays are my favourite day. A quick little rundown:

P1: History - Germany unit, which isn't fantastic but I really like the teacher and we had a great debate about how stable Hitler's regime was. Very fiery!
P2: Free
P3: Free (Great little perk of Wednesdays haha)
P4: History - Britain unit, which isn't much better than the Germany unit but the teacher is very eccentric and really knows and enjoys his stuff. We were doing work on the faults of Labour between 1951 and 1964, which was OK.
P5: Politics - Absolutely loving this at the moment. Teacher is great, class is willing to learn and it's just so interesting. We started learning about elections, and covered the workings of the UK elections.
P6: Was supposed to have ICT but the teacher cancelled and we got left work to take home, so I got to leave early, yay!

Even with the ICT lesson it's a fantastic day. Only day of the week I don't have English Literature, which is a relief as I'm finding it pretty tough so far. Twelfth Night and Playboy of the Western World are both confusing plays!
Original post by Katie97
Hi guys, what do you suggest I do about a friend who wants to be spoon fed everything and has no interest in doing A-levels at all. It's bringing me down - I can't do my own work because I have to tell her what to write word for word before I do my own.

Tell her to go **** herself (adjust sentiment for desired levels of remaining friendship).
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by ultralex
Hey everyone!
Loving Year 12 at the moment, and Wednesdays are my favourite day. A quick little rundown:

P1: History - Germany unit, which isn't fantastic but I really like the teacher and we had a great debate about how stable Hitler's regime was. Very fiery!
P2: Free
P3: Free (Great little perk of Wednesdays haha)
P4: History - Britain unit, which isn't much better than the Germany unit but the teacher is very eccentric and really knows and enjoys his stuff. We were doing work on the faults of Labour between 1951 and 1964, which was OK.
P5: Politics - Absolutely loving this at the moment. Teacher is great, class is willing to learn and it's just so interesting. We started learning about elections, and covered the workings of the UK elections.
P6: Was supposed to have ICT but the teacher cancelled and we got left work to take home, so I got to leave early, yay!

Even with the ICT lesson it's a fantastic day. Only day of the week I don't have English Literature, which is a relief as I'm finding it pretty tough so far. Twelfth Night and Playboy of the Western World are both confusing plays!

I'm loving the free:lesson ratio, unfortunately you can't quite beat my Wednesday week B :wink:

P1: Free
P2: Physics, we did a test, got an A!!!!! :biggrin: (so pleased, first sign of good progress so far this year).
P3: Free
P4: Free
P5: I had a free but - plot twist - I also made myself a cup of tea :tongue:
just joined biology and have a test on friday. great. any tips would be deeply adored :/

I've just finished coordinate geometry this week, what bits are you stuck on? :smile:
Original post by twisted
just joined biology and have a test on friday. great. any tips would be deeply adored :/

I'm sure your teacher might understand if you don't do as well in the test as others, but you should basically just cram hard to catch up.
I'm sure your teacher might understand if you don't do as well in the test as others, but you should basically just cram hard to catch up.

she said I have as much chance of getting kicked out as everyone else. pray4me
today I got told I got 3rd in Northern Ireland in French GCSE :cool: pretty pleased, not gonna lie
almost makes me regret not taking french to a level... (almost)
Original post by Elm Tree
Mini school bank? Are people supposed to give their money to you to keep?

Yeah, - well stays at the school.
They get an interest etc in their money too.
Original post by NikolaT
FREE FO- oh.

Interesting idea. Do you pay back interest? Give loans? Or are you guys literally just an alternative to keeping your money at home?

More importantly, when do you run away with the cash? :wink:

Students get interest!
Don't give loans, basically an alternative but also to teach kids on finance. Mostly Year 7s who are interested because sixth forms couldn't care less
Original post by mollyh77
today I got told I got 3rd in Northern Ireland in French GCSE :cool: pretty pleased, not gonna lie
almost makes me regret not taking french to a level... (almost)

Congratulations :h:

Somebody else here got 2nd (maybe 1st I don't remember), coincidentally :mmm:

Latest