The Student Room Group

I'm finding Chemistry impossible to learn.

I've just started my A Levels, I chose Chemistry because in Year 11 I got an A at GCSE and enjoyed the subject. I know, A levels are a HUGE step up from GCSE, but surely if I was capable of getting an A at GCSE I could slightly understand AS chemistry.

However, that's not the case unfortunately. Every lesson my teacher moves on too quickly, I fail to grasp any of the basic concepts. I do try my best though, I ask my teachers for help, I told my parents to get me a tutor, I read and make notes from my chemistry textbook, I watch youtube chemistry video's, I research online. But, I simply DON'T understand anything. :frown:
I feel like crying every lesson, and the work seems so impossible and warped in my brain, that I tend to get awful headaches. Whenever, I do ask my teacher to explain I STILL don't understand and she usually ends up telling me the answer because I'm so dumb. I feel like I have absolutely no chance in my exam, I mean this is only the start of Chemistry which is easier than the rest of the topics to come.

I just don't know how I'm failing so badly. Why am I so dumb?

Also, my sixth form won't let me swap Chemistry for another subject. :frown:
It takes a while to adjust to the difference in level between exam tiers. Stick at it, it gets easier as you get used to the difficulty. I failed every single class test/mock exam in Advanced Higher Maths (basically A level) but I managed to get my head around things in time to get a B in the final. It's possible :smile:
Original post by Sian01x
I've just started my A Levels, I chose Chemistry because in Year 11 I got an A at GCSE and enjoyed the subject. I know, A levels are a HUGE step up from GCSE, but surely if I was capable of getting an A at GCSE I could slightly understand AS chemistry.

However, that's not the case unfortunately. Every lesson my teacher moves on too quickly, I fail to grasp any of the basic concepts. I do try my best though, I ask my teachers for help, I told my parents to get me a tutor, I read and make notes from my chemistry textbook, I watch youtube chemistry video's, I research online. But, I simply DON'T understand anything. :frown:
I feel like crying every lesson, and the work seems so impossible and warped in my brain, that I tend to get awful headaches. Whenever, I do ask my teacher to explain I STILL don't understand and she usually ends up telling me the answer because I'm so dumb. I feel like I have absolutely no chance in my exam, I mean this is only the start of Chemistry which is easier than the rest of the topics to come.

Chemistry is a pretty tough A level, and is quite different to the GCSE course. I imagine you'll improve over the next few weeks, as it takes a while to adjust to A levels.

Is there anything in particular you'd like me to help you with? I'm doing A2 OCR chemistry at the moment :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 3
Original post by Sian01x

You just put me off chemistry lol I won't be choosing it now

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 4
Original post by Sian01x

What do you not understand? What exam board are you on btw?
Reply 5
Original post by Sian01x

*Big hug* Don't ever call yourself dumb.

It could possibly be the fact you may be over-thinking so it becomes hard. If you're really struggling and you've lost your interest maybe you could bring in your parents and have a meeting with the head of year about changing the subject. Have you asked some of your classmates to help you?

What exam board are you with for Chemistry?

What kind of things are you struggling on? - What is it that you don't understand?
Reply 6
Drop it until it is not too late.
Reply 7
Original post by andyt8765
Chemistry is a pretty tough A level, and is quite different to the GCSE course. I imagine you'll improve over the next few weeks, as it takes a while to adjust to A levels.

Is there anything in particular you'd like me to help you with? I'm doing A2 OCR chemistry at the moment :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

OCR Salters by any chance?
Reply 8
Finding chemistry hard is normal. People who find chemistry easy are usually very greasy... and lonely.
Khanacedemy does some good chemistry videos.
Stick at it - I know a lot of people who said Chemistry "clicked" a few months into the course.

I had a similar experience with Physics, got E's and U's in every assessment for the first few months, then around Christmas it clicked and I ended up getting an A! :biggrin:
Reply 11
Just stick with it, I never got higher than a D in any assessment/mock including a U in my first ISA and came out with an A. Sounds like you've got a **** teacher, but I just kept asking for help and got a couple of different revision guides as some explain some topics better and eventually it all clicked (like a week before the exam haha)
Reply 12
I also done chemistry a level this year.
I dropped it on my first day, lol.

But I did experience the same thing with biology.

All you have to do is, revise the topics you learnt on the same day, at home.
And also ask your teacher what topic you'll be learning about next lesson. And revise that topic.

Also, whenever you have no lesson during college, just study.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 13
What exam board are you doing?
Original post by SyedaK
OCR Salters by any chance?

No, OCR A :frown:

I think they share a bit of the syllabus though :P
Reply 15
Original post by andyt8765
No, OCR A :frown:

I think they share a bit of the syllabus though :P

AAh, I seriously don't know the difference other than the specification.
In OCR A do some of the same questions tend to come up every year an do you have to basically revise the mark scheme like you do in OCR B? :confused:
Reply 16
Original post by Sian01x

I struggled massively at the start of AS Chemistry, and was the worst in the class. But with a lot of hard work, I was one of the few in my year to come out with an A in AS, and it's now the subject I want to do at uni :smile:
If you stick with it and work hard, you will get better :smile: and once you've got over the initial shock of the beginning of the course, the rest of it doesn't seem as much of a jump up.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by SyedaK
AAh, I seriously don't know the difference other than the specification.
In OCR A do some of the same questions tend to come up every year an do you have to basically revise the mark scheme like you do in OCR B? :confused:

There's definitely a trend in the questions that are asked in the exam, and a lot of getting the marks is knowing how to answer the question (mark scheme style). I'm not even sure why there are two syllabi (syllabuses)?

Quick Reply

Latest