The Student Room Group

Dentistry 2014 Re-applicants/Gap Year

Scroll to see replies

Original post by jvir24
From what I gather, graduate entry is much more competitive due to the limited seats. Plus, you have a pretty good ukcat score.

It depends, are you fine with taking a second gap year?

Posted from TSR Mobile

I don't mind taking another gap year but I am not to sure as I have got an offer to study pharmacy at ucl and I am scared I might not get a place again. Have people taken 2nd gap years before?
Reply 21
Hi guys! I'm a reapplicant and got AAA in my A levels! Do you reckon my chances will be less for getting a place for dentistry as I didn't get any A*s???
Got my Ukcat in a weeks time!
thankss
Reply 22
Hi , do u withdraw your previous application from ucas before starting a new one?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 23
Hello!
I'm predicted AABB, B in chemistry :frown:, so I know universities will reject me. I'm probably going to take a gap year too, providing I get an A for chemistry at the end of A level. I'm still a bit unsure about the application process after taking a gap year.

1. Do universities still look at your AS grades, even when you apply with your end of A2 grades?
2. If you didn't apply to dentistry before the gap year (I'm going to apply for biomedical materials this year incase I get the B in chemistry) do the universities look down on your application for dentistry?

Please help :frown:
Reply 24

Hi! With all reapplications and gap years has anyone thought applying abroad into dentisty programs?
Reply 25
Original post by MJane95
Hi guys! I'm a reapplicant and got AAA in my A levels! Do you reckon my chances will be less for getting a place for dentistry as I didn't get any A*s???
Got my Ukcat in a weeks time!
thankss

hey, I know of an individual who had achieved AAB at the end of their A2 reapplied and resitted an exam to get the B upto an A.. Applied to sheffiled and Leeds and they got in at sheffiled! I don't see why you won't have a chance of getting in with three A! I say go for it ! Gurrd luck

However I think two of the university's ( not sure which though erm Plymouth maybe)but they accept reapplicants and expect students reapplying to improve their grades to A* A*A or something... So you would be at a disadvantage here. This is why I'm only applying to Leeds n sheffield :smile:
Original post by teen1234
The average medical student has the same academic background as the average dental student. I'd agree the top end is slightly skewed but only because cambridge and oxford offer medicine

Take a look at the average UKcat scores on the medicine and dentistry stalking pages and you will see what I am talking about
I got AAA in chemistry biology and maths and B in psychology at AS
I'm worrried my chances are low because I didn't get any A*s
I applied to Birmingham Leeds Liverpool and Manchester. My UKCAT was 637.5 so pretty rubbish...
Is anyone in the same position as me?
Hi. I'm doing a gap year but I have got an unconditional offer for next year at birmingham. I was wondering if anyone knows whether I'll have to do the whole immunisation procedures again?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by bhawanbajwa
Hi. I'm doing a gap year but I have got an unconditional offer for next year at birmingham. I was wondering if anyone knows whether I'll have to do the whole immunisation procedures again?

Posted from TSR Mobile

How? :frown:
Original post by brainboy123
HI THERE CURRENTLY 19 AND I AM ON A GAP YEAR AND THIS WAS MY SECOND TIME APPLYING TO STUDY DENTISTRY BUT UNFORTUNATELY I DID NOT GET A PLACE. I DID GET 3/4 INTERVIEWS THIS YEAR AND I CAME VERY CLOSE TO GETTING A OFFER ON ONE OF THE INTERVIEWS BUT MY INTERVIEW SCORE WAS JUST SHORT OF 1 MARK. I AM DECIDING ON WHETHER TO TAKE A 2ND GAP YEAR AND REAPPLY AGAIN OR JUST GO AND STUDY PHARMACY AT UCL AS I HAVE ALREADY GOT AN OFFER FROM THERE. MY GRADES ARE A*AA/a AND I HAVE ALSO DONE THE UKCAT 2 WEEKS AGO AND GOT A SCORE OF 719. AS YOU CAN I AM IN A DILEMMA.

In exactly the same position! On my second gap year, work as a dental nurse from the start of my first gap year, heartbreaking to be in the same situation again. Did you decide to reapply to Dentistry? :smile:
Original post by gertrudebitch
How? :frown:

I was supposed to go this year but I got my home status after the 1st september which was the deadline, so uni deferred my entry

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hi! I am currently taking my second gap year - I originally took one year to reapply, got my place and everything and a week before I was supposed to go to uni (KCL) I had to have surgery :frown: so my place has been deferred to 2014 entry :/ bit worried about being two years older than the majority of people on my course ha :') is anyone in a similar situation?
Original post by bhawanbajwa

Posted from TSR Mobile

I think you will.. I was in the same situation as you and had to go to London for another occupational health appointment, send off vaccination history again etc :frown:
I'm not doing 2 gap years but I will also be 2-3 years older than others lol. When I moved here from india I started in year 10 instead of 11. We'll feel so old sitting with 18 year olds lol

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hi everyone! As you are all reapplicants may I ask what everybody is doing in their gap year? I am quite a weak applicant this year and don't fancy my chances much of getting an offer, and I've already received two rejections, so am looking for some ideas that will strengthen my application aside from doing my UKCAT again. :rolleyes:
Have you got your grades. I'd recommend to do as much work experience in different dental environment (couple of hours per week for few months). Some charity work would be really good as unis like to see your people skills and commitment. There are many unis like leeds and Liverpool who will offer you an interview if you meet minimum requirements as mainly focus at your experience (I know because thats why they rejected me). Other than that maybe get a part time job and do something creative in your life. Enjoy your year
Reply 37
Original post by Davelittle
Take a look at the average UKcat scores on the medicine and dentistry stalking pages and you will see what I am talking about

You think that is an indication as to which is more competitive?
Not everyone uses tsr
Not everyone posts on the stalking pages (e.g me with 717 ukcat)

If you genuinely know people who decide dentistry over medicine because they think its easier they're very uninformed.
I'd love to know what you think of bio med/pharmacy applicants rofl
Original post by teen1234
You think that is an indication as to which is more competitive?
Not everyone uses tsr
Not everyone posts on the stalking pages (e.g me with 717 ukcat)

If you genuinely know people who decide dentistry over medicine because they think its easier they're very uninformed.
I'd love to know what you think of bio med/pharmacy applicants rofl

I posted that a year ago and my attitude has changed since, however 717 is about average for medicine whereas it is considered high for dentistry so my point kinda still stands I guess
Reply 39
Original post by Davelittle
I posted that a year ago and my attitude has changed since, however 717 is about average for medicine whereas it is considered high for dentistry so my point kinda still stands I guess

The point is that your comments SEEM like youre saying that those who couldn't get into med go for dentistry. however those with any knowledge of med/dentistry applications know that this isnt the case.

Quick Reply

Latest