The Student Room Group

HELP!!! Virus - java/mp3skull website

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by 2ndClass
Malwarebytes Chameleon
http://www.malwarebytes.org/products/chameleon/

You can extract it to whereever, downloads/documents/programmes

Just read the steps carefully, it's all there. There are 3 other options as well. Just follow "Step 2" if the other ones are too complicated.

Cool. Thanks bro.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 21
Original post by ash92:)
Cool. Thanks bro.

Posted from TSR Mobile

No worries, but I recommend going with the malwarebytes step, it cleans it out thoroughly.
Why not simply swipe your PC to factory settings? Of course back it up on an external hard drive but it'll give you a fresh, faster, non-virus system. I've had viruses many times and that's always what I do..
Reply 23
It won't let me do ctrl+alt+delete.

Is avg better or avast?
And would i download it after doing the scan with MBAM?

Posted from TSR Mobile

It seems as though we have a virus that screws up your registry. In order to allow ctrl+alt+delete go to start menu, then press run then type regedit and press ok.

After this follow the directory:

HKLM(HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE)\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\System

Once in system you will have some things showing up on the left, right click on SoftwareSASGeneration then press modify then input the value data as 1 and press ok. You should now be able to use ctrl+alt+delete.

Not tried avast, but AVG hasn't failed me and it's awesome.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 24
Original post by stuckinthemud2
Why not simply swipe your PC to factory settings? Of course back it up on an external hard drive but it'll give you a fresh, faster, non-virus system. I've had viruses many times and that's always what I do..

But that'd delete all my stuff :frown:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 25
Original post by 2ndClass
No worries, but I recommend going with the malwarebytes step, it cleans it out thoroughly.

Yup, afaik both of the first 2 steps had a MBAM bit to them.

I followed step 2 as it seemed easier.
So far, I've disabled the program, as instructed. I've also downloaded MBAM and first ran a quick scan, deleting some detected dodgy files.
I'm currently doing the full scan before I download hitman.

Will rep when pos.

Posted from TSR Mobile
But that'd delete all my stuff :frown:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Uninstall all your software but backup your stuff on an external hard drive? It gets rid of all your problems and no downloading crap off the net of anti-...this, that software.
I agree, my dad is going by heresay. But I didn't install anything because I knew which way the finger would point when the computer gets a virus.

We've tried stuff like kaspersky in the past, but it doesn't quite cut it. We still got a virus on the old pc and had to have everything wiped - a scenario which I hate with an utmost passion.

Could you please see my other posts too? Like the one just above this post?

Also, would these passwords include internet passwords that haven't been saved (like the remember password option)? I assume user account passwords on the pc itself need be changed?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Have a go with AVG. It costs, but it's well worth it. I've still had viruses whilst using it but that's only been when I've taken risks and done stuff that I should have known better than to do. You're way better off with an Antivirus programme than you are without.

Had a look at the post above - you basically need to install the programme to the USB drive. That means that when it asks you which folder you want to install to, you find the USB drive and select that. :smile:

I'm no expert so I couldn't tell you for sure, but you'd be really surprised at the level of information that a computer will retain about you. I don't know how you use your computer so I can't really tell you for sure what you need to do. If I was in your position, I'd be changing the passwords of every important account that I'd ever logged into on the machine. Though realistically, this is just stuff like eBay, Amazon, banks, email accounts etc. Stuff like your TSR account isn't really of any interest to someone who doesn't know you so that kind of thing should be fine. You shouldn't need to change the password to the user accounts on the PC either. The person distributing the virus can't do anything to your PC once their malware has been removed so there's no need. :smile:

Anything else you don't understand?? :smile:
Reply 28
Original post by bad_moose
Have a go with AVG. It costs, but it's well worth it. I've still had viruses whilst using it but that's only been when I've taken risks and done stuff that I should have known better than to do. You're way better off with an Antivirus programme than you are without.

Had a look at the post above - you basically need to install the programme to the USB drive. That means that when it asks you which folder you want to install to, you find the USB drive and select that. :smile:

I'm no expert so I couldn't tell you for sure, but you'd be really surprised at the level of information that a computer will retain about you. I don't know how you use your computer so I can't really tell you for sure what you need to do. If I was in your position, I'd be changing the passwords of every important account that I'd ever logged into on the machine. Though realistically, this is just stuff like eBay, Amazon, banks, email accounts etc. Stuff like your TSR account isn't really of any interest to someone who doesn't know you so that kind of thing should be fine. You shouldn't need to change the password to the user accounts on the PC either. The person distributing the virus can't do anything to your PC once their malware has been removed so there's no need. :smile:

Anything else you don't understand?? :smile:

That's very helpful, thanks.

I think I'll try the Microsoft essentials + avast + MBAM combo.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 29
PC is back online!

Thanks a lot guys :hat2:

Just one more thing please: I tried to run Windows Defender (comes as included on windows 8, and is the renamed version of Microsoft Security Essentials) but it comes up with a dialog box saying that if there is any other anti-malware program installed, it is switching defender off. How would one go about resolving this?
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 30
What do you guys think about the additional instalment of comodo firewall? I saw it mentioned on another thread here...

Windows defender has firewall, but I left it switched off to avoid clashes with MBAM and avast
Reply 31
What do you guys think about the additional instalment of comodo firewall? I saw it mentioned on another thread here...

Windows defender has firewall, but I left it switched off to avoid clashes with MBAM and avast

MSE isn't apparently that good..............I would think that malwarebytes and AVG/AVAST would be a better choice.
Reply 32
Original post by Iqbal007
MSE isn't apparently that good..............I would think that malwarebytes and AVG/AVAST would be a better choice.

cool. I currently have mbam, avast, comodo and a trial version of hitman pro installed (which I will delete upon expiry)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending