The Student Room Group

Oxbridge Clinical School Transfer - risky?

So I know this probably gets asked every year, but I'm just hoping for some advice to clear up rumors and statements that I've heard.

I'm at Cambridge, got two firsts, but don't really have anything else particularly outstanding on my CV. I want to try to get into Oxford. I've been told I have a high chance of getting in if I put it as first-choice, but I'm a little worried.

Is it true that it's getting harder and harder to transfer to Oxford from Cambridge, even with two firsts? And I've heard that sometimes a university will auto-reject you if you put them as second choice, so if I put Cambridge as second choice would that be risky? I know I'm guaranteed a spot somewhere, but I really don't want to go to London for clinical school because it would be much more expensive for me. I have also been told that it's okay to mention 'financial reasons' in the clinical interview, although I'm not sure about this.

I'd be happy for any insights, thanks in advance.
Reply 1
I have been at Oxford the whole course so i only know what i have gleaned from the successful... To an extent it depends on where the applications go in your year. In my year only circa 23 applied to Oxford, all with 1sts, and 22 got in (although i only heard this from a cambridge transfer i know, not an official source). That would make it seem you are very likely to get in. However, clearly if in your year 50 people apply that is going to make things more competitive.

Re auto-rejects, as far as i'm aware only UCL definitively does that, plus as your 'home' uni i think that Cambridge would be more sympathetic to your application (as Oxford is to ours) and my gut feeling is that with a double first they would not reject you. However, a Cambridge clinical student with experience would be in a better position to inform on that.

And re not going to London... that's quite a common feeling and indeed i ordered my application: Oxford, UCL (guaranteed reject), Cambridge (effectively guaranteed reject), then the rest in the hope that they would see they were 4th choice downwards and get the message, and if everyone rejects you you end up back at where you were for pre-clinical :tongue:

On a more positive note though, everyone i know in London has settled in well and likes it there, with adequate financial support where its needed, and back in Oxford seemingly virtually the entire cohort is looking to apply to London for jobs atm anyway, so staying in Oxford was only delaying the inevitable for many!
Reply 2
Original post by nexttime
I have been at Oxford the whole course so i only know what i have gleaned from the successful... To an extent it depends on where the applications go in your year. In my year only circa 23 applied to Oxford, all with 1sts, and 22 got in (although i only heard this from a cambridge transfer i know, not an official source). That would make it seem you are very likely to get in. However, clearly if in your year 50 people apply that is going to make things more competitive.

Re auto-rejects, as far as i'm aware only UCL definitively does that, plus as your 'home' uni i think that Cambridge would be more sympathetic to your application (as Oxford is to ours) and my gut feeling is that with a double first they would not reject you. However, a Cambridge clinical student with experience would be in a better position to inform on that.

And re not going to London... that's quite a common feeling and indeed i ordered my application: Oxford, UCL (guaranteed reject), Cambridge (effectively guaranteed reject), then the rest in the hope that they would see they were 4th choice downwards and get the message, and if everyone rejects you you end up back at where you were for pre-clinical :tongue:

On a more positive note though, everyone i know in London has settled in well and likes it there, with adequate financial support where its needed, and back in Oxford seemingly virtually the entire cohort is looking to apply to London for jobs atm anyway, so staying in Oxford was only delaying the inevitable for many!
thank you so much, this is exceedingly helpful. :smile:

so since you've been in Oxford for the entire course, do you have any idea which colleges would be more sympathetic to transfers from Cambridge? I've seen this page: http://www.medsci.ox.ac.uk/study/medicine/clinical/collegesfolder/details, and it seems that spaces are very limited at each college, with the exception of GTC, which I understand is a graduate college?
Reply 3
Original post by daot666
thank you so much, this is exceedingly helpful. :smile:

so since you've been in Oxford for the entire course, do you have any idea which colleges would be more sympathetic to transfers from Cambridge? I've seen this page: http://www.medsci.ox.ac.uk/study/medicine/clinical/collegesfolder/details, and it seems that spaces are very limited at each college, with the exception of GTC, which I understand is a graduate college?

GTC is indeed a graduate college, but as you can see from the stats it takes a very high proportion of medics and there does seem to be something of a GTC medical community going. It also has certain medicine-specific 'perks' like giving you a free stethoscope and running weekly seminars throughout the course, which is far more regular than most college provision. Its almost the 'default' location to go for those looking to/having to change colleges. Of course, it doesn't have the money to fund these perks without a downside: its accommodation provision is minimal as i understand it, if it exists at all.

I'm not overly sure what the situation is regarding applying to other colleges. My college Merton does take tabs every now and then, most recently being last year. I know of another at Christchurch, and from looking at my girlfriend's stalker sheet, i can see that her year people from Cambridge went to New (3), St Annes, Merton, GTC (2), Corpus (3), and Lincoln, but those colleges may be due to undergrads leaving to London creating spaces rather than a systematic bias for taking Cambridge students so i don't know how useful that is to you.
Original post by daot666
So I know this probably gets asked every year, but I'm just hoping for some advice to clear up rumors and statements that I've heard.

I'm at Cambridge, got two firsts, but don't really have anything else particularly outstanding on my CV. I want to try to get into Oxford. I've been told I have a high chance of getting in if I put it as first-choice, but I'm a little worried.

Is it true that it's getting harder and harder to transfer to Oxford from Cambridge, even with two firsts? And I've heard that sometimes a university will auto-reject you if you put them as second choice, so if I put Cambridge as second choice would that be risky? I know I'm guaranteed a spot somewhere, but I really don't want to go to London for clinical school because it would be much more expensive for me. I have also been told that it's okay to mention 'financial reasons' in the clinical interview, although I'm not sure about this.

I'd be happy for any insights, thanks in advance.

Have you been told how many places Cambridge has now (I know they're expanding their clinical course?)?

Certainly, in the past, Cambridge would not accept you unless they were your first choice.
Reply 5
Original post by Chief Wiggum
Have you been told how many places Cambridge has now (I know they're expanding their clinical course?)?

Certainly, in the past, Cambridge would not accept you unless they were your first choice.
yeah, 160 places. :frown:

So does that mean I would essentially have to be accepted by my first choice? Because I believe that if the first two rounds are unsuccessful, you enter a clearing scheme, and I'm not particularly sure what this would entail. Do you get accepted by any university that has free spaces left, or do you default back to your pre-clinical school, as I've also heard?
Reply 6
Original post by daot666

So does that mean I would essentially have to be accepted by my first choice? Because I believe that if the first two rounds are unsuccessful, you enter a clearing scheme, and I'm not particularly sure what this would entail. Do you get accepted by any university that has free spaces left, or do you default back to your pre-clinical school, as I've also heard?

As I understand it, if you don't get into your first two choices, you are put in a pool with all the others who've been rejected by both, and the universities which still have places look at you all and decide who, if any, to pull out. If nobody can take you, then Cambridge will take you back. However I think this is very unlikely - if you have two firsts you are in a strong position to apply for Oxford and now that Cambridge clinical school is expanding, they may well take you there as 2nd choice.
Original post by daot666

If you don't get your first choice, I think you would normally get an interview at your second choice. If they don't accept you, you'd go into a "pool", where they try to allocate people to medical schools in order of preference. I think defaulting back to your pre-clinical is exceptionally exceptionally rare, if it even happens at all.

Original post by Helenia
As I understand it, if you don't get into your first two choices, you are put in a pool with all the others who've been rejected by both, and the universities which still have places look at you all and decide who, if any, to pull out. If nobody can take you, then Cambridge will take you back. However I think this is very unlikely - if you have two firsts you are in a strong position to apply for Oxford and now that Cambridge clinical school is expanding, they may well take you there as 2nd choice.

I don't think it's expanded much this year though, from reading OP's post, - 160 places is fairly standard. I really don't think Cambridge would accept people who put them 2nd choice. OP should ask at the open day to clarify.
Reply 8
Original post by Chief Wiggum

I don't think it's expanded much this year though, from reading OP's post, - 160 places is fairly standard. I really don't think Cambridge would accept people who put them 2nd choice. OP should ask at the open day to clarify.

I thought it was about 130-140 normally, excluding grads?

Though I admit I have no idea what their position would be on people putting them second even with the expansion in places. Guess it depends if it's one of the years where they're over- or under-subscribed.
Original post by Helenia
I thought it was about 130-140 normally, excluding grads?

Though I admit I have no idea what their position would be on people putting them second even with the expansion in places. Guess it depends if it's one of the years where they're over- or under-subscribed.

Obviously I'm not sure about this application cycle, but years in the past where they had roughly 160 places, they only accepted people who put them first choice. My understanding is that there have been small increases in number of places over the last few years (perhaps from 130 to 160), but they are now intending to allow the vast majority of people to continue onto Cambridge, although I'm not sure of the timescale of these changes.

I don't really think it depends on anything, unless they were literally undersubscribed (which obviously isn't going to happen). Perhaps once they expand fully, it will change, but at the moment, 160 places really is not significantly different to recent previous years. OP should ask someone with authority to confirm, but I'm pretty confident Cambridge will only accept people who put them first choice.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 10
thanks for all the replies. so I guess right now I'm feeling like I should first find out more about Cambridge's attitude towards being put as second choice, before making a decision on whether I should go for Oxford, or just put Cambridge first-choice and be almost guaranteed entry.

Who might someone of authority be? Should I try to ask someone at the open day? I've asked my DoS for advice, and he reassured me that I had a high chance of getting into Cambridge even if I put it second, but I don't feel like he was basing this on actual experience or fact, and perhaps more just trying to be encouraging.
Reply 11
Original post by daot666
thanks for all the replies. so I guess right now I'm feeling like I should first find out more about Cambridge's attitude towards being put as second choice, before making a decision on whether I should go for Oxford, or just put Cambridge first-choice and be almost guaranteed entry.

Who might someone of authority be? Should I try to ask someone at the open day? I've asked my DoS for advice, and he reassured me that I had a high chance of getting into Cambridge even if I put it second, but I don't feel like he was basing this on actual experience or fact, and perhaps more just trying to be encouraging.

Clinical Dean's office?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by daot666

Ask the Clinical Dean at the Open Day. I wouldn't "try to ask her", just definitely ask! :p:
(edited 10 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending