The Student Room Group

Applying to Uni without having visited any of them?

Sooo I had every intention of going to an Open day but I;

1) Didn't realise that there wasn't any Open Days in September (for most Unis)

2) Didn't know that my course was classed as competitive and therefore has a (College inflicted) deadline of Oct 15th.

Is this a particularly bad thing? I've done everything but, and I am going to 1 that is my 'safe' uni a week after. Also going to all of them is out of the question as I simply don't have the money to fund all the trains/petrol/hotels ect.
Reply 1
If you adapt to new situations well then I don't think it's necessarily a bad thing, but if like me you struggle with big changes then it's probably worth having a visit, even if it's after you've applied just so you know what it's like. I did apply to York without ever visiting, but it was my last choice.
Original post by imjustrach
Sooo I had every intention of going to an Open day but I;

1) Didn't realise that there wasn't any Open Days in September (for most Unis)

2) Didn't know that my course was classed as competitive and therefore has a (College inflicted) deadline of Oct 15th.

Is this a particularly bad thing? I've done everything but, and I am going to 1 that is my 'safe' uni a week after. Also going to all of them is out of the question as I simply don't have the money to fund all the trains/petrol/hotels ect.

I haven't visited any of mine and I'm applying. I don't think it matters as long as you have done your research and found out as much as you can before had and go to offer holder visit days. Watch the virtual tours or something like that :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 3
I think it's important that you visit at least your top two or three choices. You need to get a feel for the uni and the place it's in because, after all, you're going to be living there for the best part of 3 if not more years.

Open days do give you a lot more information and the chance to talk with the academic tutors and students there too but you can always visit on other days!

Where are you from and where are you applying? Obviously if they're really far away it's expensive to visit. I'm in Bristol and visited Bristol, Exeter, Southampton and Cambridge (though for the last two we went to Cambridge then drove straight to Southampton and stayed there overnight for their open day the next day).

Posted from TSR Mobile
By the time you have to make a Firm/Insurance choice there will be other Open Days or visits available (feb/March) - so maybe you could go to the one you decide as a Firm and leave it at that.

You can also find lots of Open Days videos, tourist films for each city/town etc on You Tube - just search on the individual Uni or city name - this at least gives you can idea of what the Uni or City looks like and some of facilities available.
Reply 5
Original post by Paralove
I think it's important that you visit at least your top two or three choices. You need to get a feel for the uni and the place it's in because, after all, you're going to be living there for the best part of 3 if not more years.

Open days do give you a lot more information and the chance to talk with the academic tutors and students there too but you can always visit on other days!

Where are you from and where are you applying? Obviously if they're really far away it's expensive to visit. I'm in Bristol and visited Bristol, Exeter, Southampton and Cambridge (though for the last two we went to Cambridge then drove straight to Southampton and stayed there overnight for their open day the next day).

Posted from TSR Mobile

I'm from Middlesbrough and I'm apply for Buckingham, Bishop Grosseteste, Royal Holloway, St Mary's and Bath. Although I'm going to Buckingham next week for a tour, the others are still far away (apart from BG but that really is my last choice... I can't even pronounce it correctly :P)
Reply 6
Original post by imjustrach
I'm from Middlesbrough and I'm apply for Buckingham, Bishop Grosseteste, Royal Holloway, St Mary's and Bath. Although I'm going to Buckingham next week for a tour, the others are still far away (apart from BG but that really is my last choice... I can't even pronounce it correctly :P)

The University of Bath is lovely, and the city is gorgeous too. The uni facilities are so good, particularly for sport. I've been there several times with my school over the years because it's really close :smile:. With that, you also can go into Bristol for shopping and whatever too. I don't know much about the others though:P

And Blimey you really do have a long way to travel D: I'm lucky that Bristol is on my doorstep, although I don't really want to go there, and Exeter is only about an hours drive.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending