The Student Room Group

Economics applicant thread UCAS 2014

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Epic Flawless
High five! Seeing as the universities I've applied to tend to give out offers in very late October/November, according to the 2013 economics applicants page, I'll be just waiting patiently.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Do you know if the 2014 page has been set up yet? I did see a person on the Bristol page with an offer for Economics already, but I guess they got their UCAS form in really early.
Original post by Hazard17
May i ask what universities you applied to? :smile:

Sure; I applied to Cambridge, LSE, UCL, Warwick and Bristol. That's where a lot of the people on here applied to (i.e. NedStark, Bloxorus, Giant and some others).

Original post by robin1125
Do you know if the 2014 page has been set up yet? I did see a person on the Bristol page with an offer for Economics already, but I guess they got their UCAS form in really early.

I don't think so as I can't seem to find it anywhere. We should probably try to get one set up as it wouldn't be too difficult.

EDIT: Just made one based on last years' one: http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki/Economics_Applicants_2014_Stalking_Page
(edited 10 years ago)
Is it just me or does it seem like there are very few (if any) Oxford E&M applicants on this thread?

I haven't applied to Oxford, I just noticed it and thought it was a little odd.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Bloxorus
Is it just me or does it seem like there are very few (if any) Oxford E&M applicants on this thread?

I haven't applied to Oxford, I just noticed it and thought it was a little odd.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I went to Oxford, really don't like the place at all + Bad gcse's so yeah.
Original post by Dilzo999
I went to Oxford, really don't like the place at all + Bad gcse's so yeah.

Yeah I agree about Oxford not being a very nice place. IMO Cambridge is a lot nicer as a city.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Bloxorus
Yeah I agree about Oxford not being a very nice place. IMO Cambridge is a lot nicer as a city.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I know it's supposed to be the oldest university ever but it's just too old and the rooms aren't that moddern the college I looked at though was Wadham and the only good thing I can say is the library and the park.
Reply 1346
Sent off my SAQ and my LSE questionnaire :smile:

Does anyone know if UCL ask for UMS as well, I've heard that they do?
Original post by Giant
Sent off my SAQ and my LSE questionnaire :smile:

How long after sending your application did you recieve LSE questionnaire? :smile:
Reply 1348
Original post by purplemind
How long after sending your application did you recieve LSE questionnaire? :smile:

About 4 days (two of those days were the weekend)
Original post by Giant
About 4 days (two of those days were the weekend)

Oh, thanks. :smile: I thought they are as quick as Cambridge.
Reply 1350
Oh, thanks. :smile: I thought they are as quick as Cambridge.

Not as quick, but they ask for less information (just UMS, nothing else)
Original post by Giant
Not as quick, but they ask for less information (just UMS, nothing else)

That's great. I spent about 1.5 h filling my SAQ. I just have to ask my Chemistry teacher what topics we will have covered until December but I think it doesn't matter anyway, why should they want to ask me about rates or reaction etc? :tongue:
Did you put anything in additional personal statemet? I wrote there something why I find their course attractive but that is just about 600 characters, I didn't want it to sound artificial.
Reply 1352
Got AAAC at AS (Maths, economics, geography, french)
Dropped french and predicted A*(maths)AA (trying to get economics to A*)
Also trying to do a futher maths AS in my spare time.
However I only got 3 A*s at GCSE and because I got a C in my 4th AS (I'm not resitting) I'm feeling really disadvantaged in terms of applying to the top unis.
Reply 1353
That's great. I spent about 1.5 h filling my SAQ. I just have to ask my Chemistry teacher what topics we will have covered until December but I think it doesn't matter anyway, why should they want to ask me about rates or reaction etc? :tongue:
Did you put anything in additional personal statemet? I wrote there something why I find their course attractive but that is just about 600 characters, I didn't want it to sound artificial.

I just left it blank, everything that I wanted to say about Economics I had already mentioned in my personal statement. The Economics course at Cambridge is also pretty similar to most other universities. The only thing I would have mentioned would have been the tutorials/collegiate system/short terms/tripos but I don't think that would really require another personal statement, I reckon it's taken as a given (seeing as you're applying to Cambridge). I also didn't want it to sound artificial :redface:
Original post by Giant
I just left it blank, everything that I wanted to say about Economics I had already mentioned in my personal statement. The Economics course at Cambridge is also pretty similar to most other universities. The only thing I would have mentioned would have been the tutorials/collegiate system/short terms/tripos but I don't think that would really require another personal statement, I reckon it's taken as a given (seeing as you're applying to Cambridge). I also didn't want it to sound artificial :redface:

I just feel like it doesn't really matter what I write there as most important things were in my PS. They say you won't be disadvantaged if you leave it blank but then my Economics teacher was like "Of course you have to put something there if you want to get an offer". I would leave it blank but I'm a bit confused and I will just go to the Head of 6th Form to get some "emotional support". :biggrin:
Original post by Giant

Yeah I was wondering this too. I think they did last year, but not for all applicants.
Reply 1356
I just feel like it doesn't really matter what I write there as most important things were in my PS. They say you won't be disadvantaged if you leave it blank but then my Economics teacher was like "Of course you have to put something there if you want to get an offer". I would leave it blank but I'm a bit confused and I will just go to the Head of 6th Form to get some "emotional support". :biggrin:

I know plenty of people who have left it out :tongue:
Original post by Giant
I know plenty of people who have left it out :tongue:

That's what I thought anyway. :smile:
I'm wondering how many people are applying to King's this year as I think I've seen at least 4 on this thread.
That's what I thought anyway. :smile:
I'm wondering how many people are applying to King's this year as I think I've seen at least 4 on this thread.

There's me, you, Epic Flawless, Giant and Giant says there are a few people from his school. I'm predicting King's will be the second most competitive after Trinity.
Original post by NedStark
There's me, you, Epic Flawless, Giant and Giant says there are a few people from his school. I'm predicting King's will be the second most competitive after Trinity.

Doesn't sound too bad (I know there will be many more people who are not on TSR) but where would be the "fun" if there was no competition? :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending